Past #13: Jared Polec - delisted end '21 - redrafted w/ #1 in '21 RD - re-delisted end '22 - 42 NM games/20 NM goals

Remove this Banner Ad

I know it’s going to kill me knowing but does anyone remember what we gave up for Polac draft pick wise and in turn who did Port pick up for him ?
Was it Butters & Rowzee ? Or was it the bow & arrow Duursma?!
Please don’t say all of the above ?!☹

Pick 11 which was used to get... Butters :(

Don't kid yourself into thinking we would have done the same though - probably gone with Sam Stuart or someone else that we'd be demanding to trade/delist in this off season

I’m not questioning his family values and dedication to being a great hubby and the best daddy possible but on the other side of the coin….

Doesn’t invite 1 Port player to his wedding, not 1…I mean really? After 5 years at the club, where he spends so many hours, one person didn’t make the cut, no one endeared themselves to jarred ?

Only came for a bit of extra coin, I remember when he signed, he admitted as much, didn’t want to leave Port, loved Hinkley and Vice versa
He would’ve stayed for the same $$ if they offered him one more year, I don’t forget these things

Yes , clubs have many different characters, and we’re not all cut from the same cloth, I get it, but even the numerous times I’ve seen him at Arden st, during pre season, he only seems to talk to captain Jack. And yes I’ve spoken to enough past and present players, to make the call, he’s weird, and I don’t need to be a psychologist when I get direct references from his peers ( don’t ask for names, that’s Uber/ passenger confidentiality you’re asking me to breach) unlike the smart alecs in here, who think they know, but just speculate.

As far as toxic goes, that was harsh on my part, written in a moment of anger, that part I retract.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Just putting it out there, Zurhaar comes across as a weird unit too. High fives thin air, a little too close to his dog etc. Everyone still loves him. There's no doubt been plenty of space cadets who've been star AFL players throughout the journey. It's not a crime to be a bit different. In fact, if he's out of favour because he is considered weird, then isn't that discrimination of some sort? In any case, suspect he's just unfit from missing so much footy and isn't actually considered best 22 atm as a result of that. Hope he has a big preseason and proves the doubters wrong.

As for hating on him for coming for the coin, why else would he have come?

Another situation where I have complete faith in Nobes & the gang to assess Polec on his footy ability and his capacity to learn to consistently produce what is needed in terms of our team structure.

Last edited:

I know it’s going to kill me knowing but does anyone remember what we gave up for Polac draft pick wise and in turn who did Port pick up for him ?
Was it Butters & Rowzee ? Or was it the bow & arrow Duursma?!
Please don’t say all of the above ?!☹

They ended up with Butters with that pick. But we needed to either trade it, or use it to trade up into the top 5 otherwise it would’ve been absorbed by the Tarryn Thomas bid.

Pick 11 which was used to get... Butters :(

Don't kid yourself into thinking we would have done the same though - probably gone with Sam Stuart or someone else that we'd be demanding to trade/delist in this off season
We would have had to use it on TT. Yes, in hindsight we should have traded it for a future first instead of a player but we were never getting TT plus another first in that draft.

if we’d ended up trading 11 in 2018 for 11 in 2019 we could have Sam Flanders instead of Polec which would be nice I guess.

They ended up with Butters with that pick. But we needed to either trade it, or use it to trade up into the top 5 otherwise it would’ve been absorbed by the Tarryn Thomas bid.
correct; I seem to remember Pykie leading the campaign for 'trade up' strategy to get above pick 11 and thus keep TT with another high pick

I don’t feel like he’s close to any of the boys. I got no information but only going on history and the feel

So you’re just guessing basically

I wonder if Polec was sold the same promise as Shaun Higgins?

I’m not questioning his family values and dedication to being a great hubby and the best daddy possible but on the other side of the coin….

Doesn’t invite 1 Port player to his wedding, not 1…I mean really? After 5 years at the club, where he spends so many hours, one person didn’t make the cut, no one endeared themselves to jarred ?

Only came for a bit of extra coin, I remember when he signed, he admitted as much, didn’t want to leave Port, loved Hinkley and Vice versa
He would’ve stayed for the same $$ if they offered him one more year, I don’t forget these things

Yes , clubs have many different characters, and we’re not all cut from the same cloth, I get it, but even the numerous times I’ve seen him at Arden st, during pre season, he only seems to talk to captain Jack. And yes I’ve spoken to enough past and present players, to make the call, he’s weird, and I don’t need to be a psychologist when I get direct references from his peers ( don’t ask for names, that’s Uber/ passenger confidentiality you’re asking me to breach) unlike the smart alecs in here, who think they know, but just speculate.

As far as toxic goes, that was harsh on my part, written in a moment of anger, that part I retract.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
This and he seems to just keep to himself off the field whilst there’s nothing wrong with that it’s clear he’s not close with the group

Port posters would often point out the points you were making also in observing his time there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another situation where I have complete faith in Nobes & the gang to assess Polec on his footy ability and his capacity to learn to consistently produce what is needed in terms of our team structure.

If they have decided to keep him then l dont see an issue with it....l dont think they have done anything to not doubt their judgement on players we keep or let go...

I think the lesson out of this is that whenever we recruit someone the first question we ask is "Are you 'weird'?"

Seriously. The "What do we do with Polec?" question is real. But some of the stuff in this thread is pathetic.

Mate I repeatedly questioned getting Polec in 2018 because he'd already jumped ship on a club once, did seem aloof and for a SA boy to want to a head to a lower ranked Vic club pointed to money as the only motivation.

(Acknowledging his wife is from here which I've learned since)

We were also hardly a top 4 team looking for extra spark to be a contender so the pursuit didn't really make much sense.

However.. some of the character judgements on the guy in this thread are crazy. I get that conjecture can be fun but personally would prefer people restrict their opinions to his football performance rather than speculating about his Myers Briggs profile.

Leave that to clinical psychologists like Brian Taylor.

correct; I seem to remember Pykie leading the campaign for 'trade up' strategy to get above pick 11 and thus keep TT with another high pick
It would have been great to get another high pick then but we didn't know when a bid for TT would have come. Could have traded a lot of capital to get to 7 or 8 and found he'd gone before then. I'm sure the recruiters went through the risk / reward. I find this Captain Hindsight bit pointless. In 2019 the prevailing theme here was that we'd made out like bandits.

Incorrect. Our pick went from us to port to freo to gws which was used to draft hately at pick 14.

so that makes me feel somewhat better as I reckon butters is just about the best of the draft class (TT excluded of course!)

I think some people have jumped at the opportunity to pile on the fella who probably isn't quite match fit after doing his hammy and is seemingly introverted (I'm guessing because he doesn't do north media stuff?).

I think North will stick with him and see how a full preseason goes for him. Its all well and good to say 'trade him' etc but it's not that easy in reality.

His attributes could make him a good weapon in our team. Might just take him a while to adapt to his third coach in, what, 3 years?
Fourth in four years if you count Hinkley.

We would have had to use it on TT. Yes, in hindsight we should have traded it for a future first instead of a player but we were never getting TT plus another first in that draft.

if we’d ended up trading 11 in 2018 for 11 in 2019 we could have Sam Flanders instead of Polec which would be nice I guess.

Assuming it was still Port Adelaide we traded our first-round pick to (as they were eager to take the three players they got), then instead of Polec, we would have had to demand back their 2019 first-rounder, which was pick 14. They used it on Miles Bergman. Also on the table at that point were Cody Weightman and Mitch Georgiadis. But we traded out our pick 12 that year so we obviously didn't rate any of those players too highly.

Assuming it was still Port Adelaide we traded our first-round pick to (as they were eager to take the three players they got), then instead of Polec, we would have had to demand back their 2019 first-rounder, which was pick 14. They used it on Miles Bergman. Also on the table at that point were Cody Weightman and Mitch Georgiadis. But we traded out our pick 12 that year so we obviously didn't rate any of those players too highly.
Yeah that’s a reasonable version of events. I’d be happy with any of those 3 ahead of Polec right now. I just picked 11 out because it was the same pick and also had changed hands as a future selection in 2018 so was up for grabs.

I think we traded out of the 2018 first round not because we didn’t rate it but because Melbourne came to us and it was too good to refuse. People still underestimate how lopsided that trade was in our favour.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back