Past #13: Jared Polec - delisted end '21 - redrafted w/ #1 in '21 RD - re-delisted end '22 - 42 NM games/20 NM goals

Remove this Banner Ad

I have a theory that Shaw is frustrated with him and sees more potential in Jared that isn’t being tapped. Some small things of late that may be nothing or may be a pattern:
named on bench the other week
started on Cripps yesterday
after kicking a goal yesterday he tried to rotate off, looked frustrated at not getting a rest. Cut to Shaw in the box shaking his head, Polec doesn’t get a rest.

I reckon Shaw is challenging him to step up in all areas: particularly onfield leadership and doing the defensive things as consistently as the offensive. IMO he’s close to our most important attacking player and it’s not about quashing that but rather challenging him to become a more complete player.

FWIW I really like Polec but he frustrates me with some efforts that look cursory - this can be the case with smoother movers but he makes some dumb errors for such a skilful player. I think he can take another step and I hope that Shaw does too, and that he is dishing out a bit of tough love. Polec will play for us for another 6/7 years at least, he’s not gonna develop a right foot but he could certainly improve in lots of little areas.

He butchers the ball so much

has a important role to play over the next 2 years, the interim years before the youngsters start to gel together.

Played in his position and was one of our best.
If Cunners played on the wing we would all think he sucks too.

cost us the game
There is zero doubt in my mind that if Cripps gets a defensive mid from the get go we win that game.

Our defence first coach played a bloke with a poor defensive side in their most dangerous mid.

There was something other than all out for the result that was happening yesterday.

And we all but rolled them.

When the team is under pressure and he's on the back foot, then he's an anonymous footballer.

When the team is at the contest and he's allowed to get on the front foot, then he is a very damaging offensive footballer, which is what you want from a wing man.

He's the ying to Dumont & Atley's yang.

Yep, the game was shot in the first quarter when we gave them early goals. If we were setting a plan on how to throw games, this is the match up decision you'd make.

If we’re smart and fair dinkum about ever challenging for premierships again, we’ll be subtly throwing games for the rest of the season.

If we’re smart and fair dinkum about ever challenging for premierships again, we’ll be subtly throwing games for the rest of the season.

......and just quietly mate, I'm pretty sure that's currently underway. ;)

I’m confident that Brady has the plums to carry it out. People will bitch about becoming Melbourne or Carlton, I’d hope we have the ambition to become Hawthorn (2004) or Collingwood (2005).

As for losing support, that’s more likely due to mediocrity fatigue as opposed to stinking it for a season or 2.

Anyway, I’ve derailed the Poly thread enough.

As for losing support, that’s more likely due to mediocrity fatigue as opposed to stinking it for a season or 2.

The majority of our supporters are in lockdown.

This year more than any other is the year to do it.

There is zero doubt in my mind that if Cripps gets a defensive mid from the get go we win that game.

Our defence first coach played a bloke with a poor defensive side in their most dangerous mid.

There was something other than all out for the result that was happening yesterday.

And we all but rolled them.
Not playing for a result has been happening since they got back to playing, might be they don’t have the cattle to do the required work, but they’re all being tested in different positions, out of their comfort zones.. it appears the square peg, round hole philosophy is gone at Arden st and it’s about doing the job required.
it’ll only bode well for the future.

I have a theory that Shaw is frustrated with him and sees more potential in Jared that isn’t being tapped. Some small things of late that may be nothing or may be a pattern:
after kicking a goal yesterday he tried to rotate off, looked frustrated at not getting a rest. Cut to Shaw in the box shaking his head, Polec doesn’t get a rest.

I reckon Shaw is challenging him to step up in all areas: particularly onfield leadership and doing the defensive things as consistently as the offensive. IMO he’s close to our most important attacking player and it’s not about quashing that but rather challenging him to become a more complete player.

FWIW I really like Polec but he frustrates me with some efforts that look cursory - this can be the case with smoother movers but he makes some dumb errors for such a skilful player. I think he can take another step and I hope that Shaw does too, and that he is dishing out a bit of tough love. Polec will play for us for another 6/7 years at least, he’s not gonna develop a right foot but he could certainly improve in lots of little areas.
I totally agree with you...

Seeing him named on the bench recently was the big one - his efforts in game the last few weeks have been poor as well.

I thought he played a well rounded game on Saturday and hopefully this helps set expectations for the rest of the season moving forward.

great post Ischenko

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We didn’t loose cos of Polec on Cripps.

We didn’t take our chances. Goldy, CZ missed easy ones. Jmac howler. Delivery inside 50 multiple times.

There’s at least 3 goals there in a 1 goal loss.

They’re pushing Polec to lift his defensive game and do what it takes to mix it with the best in the middle.

We didn’t loose cos of Polec on Cripps.

We didn’t take our chances. Goldy, CZ missed easy ones. Jmac howler. Delivery inside 50 multiple times.

There’s at least 3 goals there in a 1 goal loss.

They’re pushing Polec to lift his defensive game and do what it takes to mix it with the best in the middle.
This, Cripps had six disposals in the first quarter, he wasn’t damaging as most of them were cheap on on the wing, he didn’t win them the game through clearances in the centre.

45. Jared Polec
Club: North Melbourne
SALARY: $700,000-$750,000
COVID SALARY: $504,000-$540,000
Kane Cornes questioned whether "the footy world has gone mad" when North Melbourne made Polec an offer he couldn't refuse in late 2018. The five-year deal, believed to be around $700,000 per season, dwarfed Port Adelaide's offer by two years and almost $2 million. His deal runs through until the end of the 2023 season, when he will be 31.

This, Cripps had six disposals in the first quarter, he wasn’t damaging as most of them were cheap on on the wing, he didn’t win them the game through clearances in the centre.

3 score involvements in the first quarter.

5 for the game total.

In the first they kicked 5.1.

If we applied more defensive pressure to him (which we know he doesn't like from previous encounters) we limit their scoring in the first.

Yep, it's pretty clear that Polec on Cripps in the first was that sort of experimentation, as was his old ex-Port mate playing defensive forward. Not to mention giving Mahony, Hayden, and Curtis a string of games and BMac, Scott, and LDU could be expected to begin their extended apprenticeships too. The rest of the season could well resemble a mix of experimentation, apprenticeships, and last chance saloon strategies.

Yep, it's pretty clear that Polec on Cripps in the first was that sort of experimentation, as was his old ex-Port mate playing defensive forward. Not to mention giving Mahony, Hayden, and Curtis a string of games and BMac, Scott, and LDU could be expected to begin their extended apprenticeships too. The rest of the season could well resemble a mix of experimentation, apprenticeships, and last chance saloon strategies.

Could and should, tbqh.

Looks like this was on the money - sits out this week

"Shaw: For Jared, his body of work hasn’t been up to what we expect. We’ve had the discussion with him and he knows what he needs to work on. Polec is more about his role and playing to that. We have certain standards and behaviours that we judge the team by and everyone stands accountable. Jared’s a great player, and he’ll bounce back. He’ll be involved over the next few weeks."

"Shaw: For Jared, his body of work hasn’t been up to what we expect. We’ve had the discussion with him and he knows what he needs to work on. Polec is more about his role and playing to that. We have certain standards and behaviours that we judge the team by and everyone stands accountable. Jared’s a great player, and he’ll bounce back. He’ll be involved over the next few weeks."

Thanks mate - saves me from the indignity of needing to quote myself ;)

We have standards do we?

Can't wait for Atley to be carried off after his 300th

Remove this Banner Ad

Back