Past #13: Jared Polec - delisted end '21 - redrafted w/ #1 in '21 RD - re-delisted end '22 - 42 NM games/20 NM goals

If we’re desperate to win a game, I‘d say this week. I doubt we beat Geelong anyway.
Geelong played a tough game in the wet and back up against the West Coast then fly to Qld. We're going to get some upsets along the way, so a win wouldn't surprise me.

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I just shake my head with his constant avoiding of body contact and "turn to go".

He also calls for the ball in terrible positions to get possessions, rather than shepherd and support his teammates etc.

It's all about Polec to me when I watch him play.

It certainly wont be this week.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I just shake my head with his constant avoiding of body contact and "turn to go".

He also calls for the ball in terrible positions to get possessions, rather than shepherd and support his teammates etc.

It's all about Polec to me when I watch him play.

It certainly wont be this week.

It would probably be less frustrating if he didn't also have times where he competes really strongly for a ground ball against multiple opponents. You could almost cop it if he was your sterotypical soft winger with exquisite skills, but he's genuinely a solid contested ball winner too. It's just that all too often he'll get a kick off fast to avoid contact, or refuse to defensively run or shepherd and all the rest. It's genuinely infuriating to see someone not apply the toolkit you know they have.

Rad Roo

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Time for him to find himself another gear, he is not performing at a level he is paid to do, Hall is perfectly capable of doing polec's job. If Polec can find another gear, train himself more then he is most definite in the best 22 starting. He should look no past Cotchin in that both are the flakely seemingly flimsy players that does not stand up when the heat was on. Cotchin willed himself to become a teamleader by playing center square, as an inside mid and through there use his existing talent and skill to get the best out of the players around them. I dare say Martin wouldn't have had his 2017 season if not for Cotchin leading from the front. Polec needs to do someting similar and find another gear and a string to his bow so he returns to the team as a levelled up player.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It would probably be less frustrating if he didn't also have times where he competes really strongly for a ground ball against multiple opponents. You could almost cop it if he was your sterotypical soft winger with exquisite skills, but he's genuinely a solid contested ball winner too. It's just that all too often he'll get a kick off fast to avoid contact, or refuse to defensively run or shepherd and all the rest. It's genuinely infuriating to see someone not apply the toolkit you know they have.

Hit the nail on the head. You see snippets of him putting it all together, then the next chain of posession he gets caught out being sloppy or lazy.

It drives me insane because he could be so much better than what he is.

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hit the nail on the head. You see snippets of him putting it all together, then the next chain of posession he gets caught out being sloppy or lazy.

It drives me insane because he could be so much better than what he is.

Correct.

Omitting a C grader proves nothing. They are doing the best they can. C stays C.

Omitting a potential A Grader for going from A grade to D grade within quarters continually is completely understandable to me.

Sep 24, 2018
Lockdown
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Staggered at this decision. Okay I understand Polec defensive efforts might not be up to scratch but he's a match winner. Him and Higgins are our only hope hitting a target when the ball is forward of centre. Polec would have been licking his lips playing the crows midfield. I just hope Bonar comes in an actually plays in the midfield rather than majority in defence. Bizarre decision as there could be up to 10 blokes before Polec whose 'body of work' over the last 6 weeks hasn't been good enough.

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What the heck is so hard to understand, yeah its a harsh omission but an omission that doesn't exactly hurt especially when your season is completely toasted with running games almost back to back running against a list succumbing to injures. So, its a 4-day break, he's had foot problems, he doesn't shepard, he doesn't provide defensive run and gets caught often when the footy isn't free-flowing and he can just cruise doing what he does best across the wing.

Polec's a good player, without question, he's one of the best wingmen in the comp, but he's got deficiencies in his game that the comp understands by now enough to know how to nullify him out of the game, we've seen it multiple times. He needs to add more to his game to propel him to being an untouchable player, Higgins is living proof that if you understand the game deep enough, a tag can essentially mean nothing.

That said, Shaw's initial playing him on Cripps was a disastrous move and surely had to be some sort of s**t test to Polec as they seem to have differences in what Shaw wants, and what Polec wants to do.

Sep 24, 2018
Lockdown
AFL Club
North Melbourne
How many so far?

Capable match winner. He nearly won it last week for us. Him and Higgins are our only two reliable kicks forward of centre. We are kicking ourselves in the foot by dropping a player who is capable and has shown can hit targets regularly. Surely Hall could have been dropped before Polec. I can't wait for tomorrow when Hall just kicks the s**t out of it into our forward line. 'Body of work' is garbage. Hall got 5 touches against the Bulldogs and didn't get dropped.

Sep 24, 2018
Lockdown
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What the heck is so hard to understand, yeah its a harsh omission but an omission that doesn't exactly hurt especially when your season is completely toasted with running games almost back to back running against a list succumbing to injures. So, its a 4-day break, he's had foot problems, he doesn't shepard, he doesn't provide defensive run and gets caught often when the footy isn't free-flowing and he can just cruise doing what he does best across the wing.

Polec's a good player, without question, he's one of the best wingmen in the comp, but he's got deficiencies in his game that the comp understands by now enough to know how to nullify him out of the game, we've seen it multiple times. He needs to add more to his game to propel him to being an untouchable player, Higgins is living proof that if you understand the game deep enough, a tag can essentially mean nothing.

That said, Shaw's initial playing him on Cripps was a disastrous move and surely had to be some sort of sh*t test to Polec as they seem to have differences in what Shaw wants, and what Polec wants to do.

To say his 'body of work' was not good enough is complete bullshit. 4 out of 6 games he has gotten 20+ disposals and had some impact on games. He is playing his position. We are the worst kicking team in the AFL and then we drop a bloke who gets 4 CA votes last week and is capable of hitting a target. Understand if Shawry said it was a 4 day break and were being cautious but not this body of work bullshit. There are 10 blokes who could have been dropped before Polec. We need to play to the players strengths. Look at Richmond, as soon as Hardwick worked that they needed to play to players strengths, then it started to click and they developed into a quality team. You need to know your players, Polec will never been a tagger. He is an offensive player, I am worried that Shawry is that defensive that he might discourage offensive flair. Let's see what happens.

Sep 24, 2018
Lockdown
AFL Club
North Melbourne
His selfish front running play may not have meant we needed his help to win a game we could have won if highly played players fulfil their roles to start with.

What if Pittard didn't kill the momentum acting tough? Polec drills his second and we are infront. Polec might be a front runner but you need some those in your team. Players capable of match winning and taking the game on. He hasn't been elite this year Polec but he has not been the worst.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Do people actually believe Polec is going to ever be a strong defensive player?? Very unlikely

He is an offensive weapon, something we don’t have many of at all.

In a team full of blokes who have been gifted an easy ride for nearly a decade and that cannot hit a target to save their lives, dropping the best kick and arguably thr best offensive weapon in our side is a pretty strange decision imo.

Just had a look at this, https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/votes-vs-carlton.1243657/
Most of us gave him votes last week. Many had him as our best. Yet he gets dropped.
He's gona ask for a trade at this rate.

All that proves is that many of us on here have no idea what’s really going on at the club, what the coaches want and what’s best for the team.

Hence why some players that are bagged on here are loved by their team mates and coaches and get games every week.

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
All that proves is that many of us on here have no idea what’s really going on at the club, what the coaches want and what’s best for the team.

Hence why some players that are bagged on here are loved by their team mates and coaches and get games every week.
When you see the opposition coach give Polec second best on ground - and when you see Pittard do what he did - yet the former gets dropped and lambasted in the presser and there are no repercussions for the latter - then you dont need to know the inner workings to know that things are in a poor state.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
When you see the opposition coach give Polec second best on ground - and when you see Pittard do what he did - yet the former gets dropped and lambasted in the presser and there are no repercussions for the latter - then you dont need to know the inner workings to know that things are in a poor state.

You're taking this too seriously mate.

It's the absolute ideal season to throw the magnets around and shake things up.

This is not meant to be a factor for one game in a season where we won't play finals.

Back