Past #13: Jared Polec - delisted end '21 - redrafted w/ #1 in '21 RD - re-delisted end '22 - 42 NM games/20 NM goals

When you see the opposition coach give Polec second best on ground - and when you see Pittard do what he did - yet the former gets dropped and lambasted in the presser and there are no repercussions for the latter - then you dont need to know the inner workings to know that things are in a poor state.
The six loses in a row are probably the best indicator of a ‘poor state’.
Got to try something don’t we? Good on Shaw for doing what he thinks is right. I trust him more than the media or Bigfooty ranters.

disco_cowboy

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Just a few quick thoughts:

Someone touched on this but I think its worth repeating - are we expecting the standard whipping boys (Atley, JMac etc) to get better? Is dropping them making a statement? For what its worth JMac has been dropped and has returned - is JMac a match winner? Probably not - but he is there to provide on field leadership/positioning advice to our younger players while playing his role in defence.

A few people have also said that he is our only decent kick and to this I completely disagree. He is good, I mean really really good but we also have Simpkin, Taylor and Zurhaar who I think all have great kicks into F50. I think Taylor is currently rated as the best kick into F50 for 2020 in our team.

It’s obvious that Shaw is not dropping Polly cause he played well last week (stat wise). He is being challenged and basically told his standards aren’t good enough. With 3 games in 9 days (and the fact he will need to be rested anyway) this is more a message than anything else.

On top of all this the team is 6 losses from the last 6 games. Something has to change and Shaw is doing what he thinks will change that. There would be an element of him looking for a change in attitude from the whole team while showing all stakeholders (the club, the fans, the media etc) that he is willing to make bold decisions in an effort to get this season back on track.

I personally welcome change because that is what I have wanted for so long. How can we get better if we don’t start doing things differently?

benbanjo

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
All that proves is that many of us on here have no idea what’s really going on at the club, what the coaches want and what’s best for the team.

Hence why some players that are bagged on here are loved by their team mates and coaches and get games every week.
That has some merit to it, however we all see where we finish on the ladder every year with the regular players in the team.

Royal Flush

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
In the bests almost every game this year.
I have no ******* idea why he was dropped.
That's ahead of others.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

We didn’t miss him today but he will play next game
Yep. Wasn’t missed at all. I think Polec is part of the problem of our predictability when he’s only able to win the footy on the outside.
Rhyce sees this and wants him to develop the other side of the game which is why he played on Cripps.
We had the same issue last year and until we have more rounded players we’ll continually have poor delivery going forward.

Rawlings confirmed the Blues gave Polec his four coaches' votes from last week but that "playing your role is a really big part of our behaviours that we want to promote and he wasn't doing that and found himself out of the team".

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hope he was watching Jed closely on what it means to be a Shinboner.

No he doesn't have to be as brutal as Jed of course, but there must be a minimum standard of being willing to play for the team.

The fancy party tricks and skills are great.

Backing into packs and putting head over the footy is what wins games.

Hope he was watching Jed closely on what it means to be a Shinboner.

No he doesn't have to be as brutal as Jed of course, but there must be a minimum standard of being willing to play for the team.

The fancy party tricks and skills are great.

Backing into packs and putting head over the footy is what wins games.
TBH you need both.

Too hard and not skilled enough will win some games.

Skillful and not hard enough will also win some games.

It's having both that makes very good teams.

Polec is clearly being challenged to get better. He either does or he'll leave.

Interesting few months coming up here.

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
TBH you need both.

Too hard and not skilled enough will win some games.

Skillful and not hard enough will also win some games.

It's having both that makes very good teams.

Polec is clearly being challenged to get better. He either does or he'll leave.

Interesting few months coming up here.

I agree with that. Flair alone won't win a premiership nor will grunt alone.

Polec was rightly challenged as too far one way and I'm looking forward to his response as he's a key player to reach our best footy.

Back