Past #13: Jared Polec - delisted end '21 - redrafted w/ #1 in '21 RD - re-delisted end '22 - 42 NM games/20 NM goals

Remove this Banner Ad

Was a good pickup, still IS a good pickup. He's just been used incorrectly, I've yet to see anyone use him as well as Ken Hinkley did.

Sure he's a cat and a defensive liability, but Noble specified Polec as an example of weaknesses to work on but the strengths are the focus, and he's a quality outside running wingman with a deadly kick.
This is why coaches and players would not like playing with this guy

not someone you go to war with or count on

Elephant in the room of 2020 was that our ball movement and offensive play (the latter a traditional strength for the last decade) was poor, like really poor, under Shaw.

For whatever reason Polec got hung out to dry. Elephant in the room II was no matter how much people want to attack Brad Scott revisionist style (and hell I wasn't his number 1 ticket holder) - he didn't seem to run into these relationship conundrums with players.

It's all a clear slate again now for Jared. Maybe being a bit older and having approached the awkward territory of shopping for club 4 (if it was ever raised) will make him change into more of a leader or guiding hand for the flock of young players forming on the list.
Re elephant 2

There was a bit of talk about the way standards improved under Shaw over the end of 2019 and thru the preseason so maybe the reason Scotts' relationships were so good was because he didn't enforce standards or front people about not meeting them the way Shaw seems to have done.

The gameplan simply devolved as the season went on, until towards the end when we clearly re-adjusted and focussed a bit more on offensive waves running through the middle.

If memory serves the way we were playing worked pretty well at the start of the year, but then when Larkey got injured we were seemingly expecting it to only be short term and so plugged other blokes into his role (Campbell, Xerri, Josh Walker) but it was pure sh*t. Then throw in Cunners issues and the Hub and everything else about the gameplan went to sh*t. Brown never got started and then got injured. Larkey came back proppy and then got worse on top of that. Jy's ankle went bad and he played with a bung leg for a half dozen games. Eventually we just put kids in key posts but played ultra defensive seemingly said "fu** it" to actually winning games.

What a sh*t ******* year it was, never want to see a replay of any of those games.

Oh well. Fingers crossed and we're over most of our injury woes and the kids got a lot of benefit out of being given a lot more responsibility in their future roles.

As to Polec... I don't even know any more. I really like the things he does well, but I get filthy at some of the easy things he does badly. I really wanted, and want, to see better from him on a few fronts but at the same time I understand now that isn't overly likely and we're probably better off just getting his pure offensive game fully online and covering for him defensively instead of trying to round out his rough edges.

He had 15 inside 50s in his first 2 games for 1 goal assist. His last 3 games when he got back into the side from round 16 onwards he had 4 inside 50s for 3 goal assists. I think when he goes shorter into the forward 50 he makes good decisions and can execute, if he just wants to pump long skuds he pretty much isn't much use to anyone other than the opposition who gets to rebound and attack while we are not setup defensively.

I think if he plays more like he did against the Eagles and less like he played pretty much most other games then I think he will do well, but he has to address his attitude problem otherwise we may as well de-list him, carry his contract but give another spot to a kid who is prepared to play team oriented football.

Because him wanting to prance around, get soft handball receives and just launch rainmakers up forward is of no use to anyone, we can get some fat drunk from a pub to sag off and get some soft handball receives and he can launch ineffective potatoes into the forward 50.

He is a fast player but he laid 5 tackles in his last four games. It wasn't just Shaw pissing on his back and telling him it was raining, it was pretty obvious when other players had time, space and other options, they chose not to go to him. He has to do a whole lot more than convince Nobel he has any value, he needs to be able to rebuild the relationship with his team mates who saw him at his worst. He has to be able to rebuild that relationship with his team mates because I doubt anyone there feels that when it is his turn to go, that Polec is going to go in and support them.

Re elephant 2

There was a bit of talk about the way standards improved under Shaw over the end of 2019 and thru the preseason so maybe the reason Scotts' relationships were so good was because he didn't enforce standards or front people about not meeting them the way Shaw seems to have done.

Was told exactly what you say by a valid source but on reflection, everyone talks like that after a regime change.

Was told something similar by an equally valid source upon the Pagan-Laidley changeover.

Would take it all with a pinch of salt. Evidence points to Scott having had a strong relationship with those within his clique, regardless of standards. I'm betting there was similar rhetoric (re standards being tighter) floating around at the time of the Laidley-Scott transition. Actually IIRC there was, lots of "high performance" talk etc.

Ongoing results will tell the true story.

This is why coaches and players would not like playing with this guy

not someone you go to war with or count on
I don't buy the idea he is soft. I've seen him win plenty of hard balls and be defensive, tackle, block etc etc, it's not his natural game tho. His natural game is to provide an option for the hard won ball, get on his bike then kick well.

But I get where you and some other people are coming from with this.

I'm re-reading this thread and some of it is a bit jarring considering where we are now.

I agree, Polec was given a defensive task and didnt deliver on instruction.
(Im quoting you so this sentence is perfect for what I want to sa, that's all. I was rereading the thread not looking for your comment or anything.)

I wonder if that quarter on Cripps was about defensive application or something else. Because after quarter time he played arguably his best game for the year and maybe his best inside game ever. He won his only Brownlow vote for the year.

Maybe Shaw put him on Cripps not to teach him tagging but to push him inside to and develop his game. That was my impression. That was something Shaw did very well it seems. At least with other players.

It was his hardest game for the year, he kicked a goal, took one of two contested marks for the season, made six tackles and equaled his career high contested possessions.

I don't know... But unless it was too physically demanding, maybe because of his foot or a general lack of toughness, then he showed he is capable of playing good inside footy against very good players. It's not necessarily a poor use of his strengths.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He had 15 inside 50s in his first 2 games for 1 goal assist. His last 3 games when he got back into the side from round 16 onwards he had 4 inside 50s for 3 goal assists. I think when he goes shorter into the forward 50 he makes good decisions and can execute, if he just wants to pump long skuds he pretty much isn't much use to anyone other than the opposition who gets to rebound and attack while we are not setup defensively.

I think if he plays more like he did against the Eagles and less like he played pretty much most other games then I think he will do well, but he has to address his attitude problem otherwise we may as well de-list him, carry his contract but give another spot to a kid who is prepared to play team oriented football.

Because him wanting to prance around, get soft handball receives and just launch rainmakers up forward is of no use to anyone, we can get some fat drunk from a pub to sag off and get some soft handball receives and he can launch ineffective potatoes into the forward 50.

He is a fast player but he laid 5 tackles in his last four games. It wasn't just Shaw pissing on his back and telling him it was raining, it was pretty obvious when other players had time, space and other options, they chose not to go to him. He has to do a whole lot more than convince Nobel he has any value, he needs to be able to rebuild the relationship with his team mates who saw him at his worst. He has to be able to rebuild that relationship with his team mates because I doubt anyone there feels that when it is his turn to go, that Polec is going to go in and support them.

Exactly this. I was glad Shaw dropped him after ignoring the coach, twice, in the one game.

Weather Shaw's plan was wrong/bad is irrelevant. Take it up with him behind closed doors, not in front of the playing group in the middle of the game.

Was told exactly what you say by a valid source but on reflection, everyone talks like that after a regime change.

Was told something similar by an equally valid source upon the Pagan-Laidley changeover.

Would take it all with a pinch of salt. Evidence points to Scott having had a strong relationship with those within his clique, regardless of standards. I'm betting there was similar rhetoric (re standards being tighter) floating around at the time of the Laidley-Scott transition. Actually IIRC there was, lots of "high performance" talk etc.

Ongoing results will tell the true story.
It probably does happen after every regime change thinking about it. Over time standards might drop as people become familiar and develop relationships. That was the strength of coaches like Pagan and Barassi and that old hard approach. One ofthe strengths anyway.

Even when I stood up for Scott here I always had doubts about that side of his coaching. Perhaps it was his biggest weakness. Scott was strategically sound. It was his biggest strength and perhaps the reason Shaw had so much success last year, because he could rely on that structure most of the time. If he'd (Scotts) put more emphasis on character and commitment perhaps he would have won a flag.

Who knows.

This thread isn't about that anyway.

But it is an interesting place to bring the thread back to Jared Polec.

Last edited:
Players liking Scott because he didn't push them makes a lot of sense. He would always just play his favourites vs others even those guys were underperforming on field. Really killed the development of a lot of players and caused the stagnation of a lot of the senior guys too eg Atley.

That’s very Darwinian
It's not actually. There is a clear evolutionary pathway from fish to primates so over the last 400 million years or so nature and DNA have combined to provide that very judgement, ironically enough.

This bloke’s left peg can be a game breaking weapon, especially with the F50 congestion of the modern game - JP getting it fed out the back and letting fly accurately from outside the arc is something we should be looking to utilise

This bloke’s left peg can be a game breaking weapon, especially with the F50 congestion of the modern game - JP getting it fed out the back and letting fly accurately from outside the arc is something we should be looking to utilise
Sometimes I wonder if the questions on his going when it's his turn stem from this. When he is on he is nearly always there for a handball receive from someone in a pack. If it's what he does instinctively it might explain those questions.

He often busts a gut running to contests to no avail as well. It's certainly something we can use and probably why we recruited him in the first place.

I wonder if we will see a better Polec in 2021

Especially if he’s going to play to his strengths

It's a fair chance if we play a better game plan that utilizes his strengths mate.

His relation with Shaw broke apart during the year.

Hopefully, Noble the more senior and wiser person could have a more professional working relationship with him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back