Past #13: Jared Polec - delisted end '21 - redrafted w/ #1 in '21 RD - re-delisted end '22 - 42 NM games/20 NM goals

Remove this Banner Ad

On his return from injury, Jared Polec’s experience shone through with the wingman registering 29 disposals.

While it was Polec’s first appearance since early April, Adams says he was impressed in Polec’s ability to get himself in good positions when the pressure was on.

“He seems to be fine, ‘Polly’. He was good for us today,” Adams said.

“He’s a very smart player, he’s a good ball-user, he puts himself in good positions to get the ball and at times late in the game when we were under a bit of pressure he was able to find the right decision and hit targets.

“I was pretty happy with his game today.”

You lot are forgetting that the game where Shaw had him on Cripps was his best game of the year, he equaled his highest ever contested possession numbers, kicked a goal and Cripps was not sighted in the first quarter (IIRC).

Shaw was obviously just doing what Noble is in forcing players out of their comfort zone to expand their game. I lost alot of respect for Polec then and he hasn't done anything to really get it back.

You lot are forgetting that the game where Shaw had him on Cripps was his best game of the year, he equaled his highest ever contested possession numbers, kicked a goal and Cripps was not sighted in the first quarter (IIRC).

Shaw was obviously just doing what Noble is in forcing players out of their comfort zone to expand their game. I lost alot of respect for Polec then and he hasn't done anything to really get it back.

Yep, I lost a lot of respect him too.

Water under the bridge for me now though. We have a better understanding of how hellish the hub was, as well as some of the dynamics at play between the coaches and players, and now he's playing under a new Coaching regime. I wouldn't say I forgive him (weird thing to say about a bloke I've never met, right?) but I don't plan on holding it against him when it comes to this new era.

It wasn't the day to do that - our season was still alive at the time. We might never know what went on behind closed doors in the North Melbourne hub but it was soon obvious that it had all fallen apart. I also think that was when I determined that Shaw wasn't the answer - and that was really annoying after a decade of Scott.

It wasn't the day to do that - our season was still alive at the time. We might never know what went on behind closed doors in the North Melbourne hub but it was soon obvious that it had all fallen apart. I also think that was when I determined that Shaw wasn't the answer - and that was really annoying after a decade of Scott.
That loss wasn't Shaw's fault.

Directly at least...

There were two leadership group players (not in the side now,) who let us down that day.

On his return from injury, Jared Polec’s experience shone through with the wingman registering 29 disposals.

While it was Polec’s first appearance since early April, Adams says he was impressed in Polec’s ability to get himself in good positions when the pressure was on.

“He seems to be fine, ‘Polly’. He was good for us today,” Adams said.

“He’s a very smart player, he’s a good ball-user, he puts himself in good positions to get the ball and at times late in the game when we were under a bit of pressure he was able to find the right decision and hit targets.

“I was pretty happy with his game today.”
He doesn't sound like one of Patch's favourites.

“It can be pretty hard to get me off the ground as well when I feel like I’m playing pretty well as well.”

Yep definitely the type of character to hold a vendetta against for not wanting to tag cripps.

I wasn’t that impressed with the half and a bit I saw Jared play on the weekend. Clearly thought he was above playing seconds football, and although he is, he needs to have a better attitude. Seemed to cruise through based on his natural ability.

I’m keen for him to be back in the senior side but I would’ve liked to see him hungry after so long out of the game. Especially as a role model for the young guys.

I wasn’t that impressed with the half and a bit I saw Jared play on the weekend. Clearly thought he was above playing seconds football, and although he is, he needs to have a better attitude. Seemed to cruise through based on his natural ability.

I’m keen for him to be back in the senior side but I would’ve liked to see him hungry after so long out of the game. Especially as a role model for the young guys.
didn't he get 29 touches in 50% gametime? That's famished.

Patch's assessment did seem a little luke warm though.

He doesn't sound like one of Patch's favourites.
Yeah, Patch as a player got 110% out of himself and left nothing on the field. I don’t hate Polec, but he’s obviously not of the same ilk.

Although, I have no inside knowledge and this is just speculation/ me talking crap.

seemed more than 50% of game time to me (but as I said I didn’t see the full game). Plus I think he was taking kick outs at stages so I’d take the possession tally with a grain of salt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Knowing what type of player Patch was I highly doubt he would appreciate Polec pulling out of contests, and his general lack of defensive desire/accountability.

Yeah, Patch as a player got 110% out of himself and left nothing on the field. I don’t hate Polec, but he’s obviously not of the same ilk.

Although, I have no inside knowledge and this is just speculation/ me talking crap.

Pretty much how i see it. We dont know what went on, he's on our list so clearly player and club can get over it - so to me its ancient history. I support Polec like any other player on our list.

Cripps was not sighted in the first quarter

This is not what I recall.

Cripps first quarter was probably the difference in the game.

He had 16 touches for the game. IIRC around 8 of which came in the first quarter with something like 4+ score involvements where they kicked 5.1 and we lost the game by 7 points.

Jed absolutely smashed him for the rest of the game. The only impact he had was in the first and that impact could be argued as being the difference.

Polec is in the Nick Dale Santos group of using North for Money. That is where it starts and ends. If we can play him to the strengths he has fine, if we can't don't play him.

This is not what I recall.

Cripps first quarter was probably the difference in the game.

He had 16 touches for the game. IIRC around 8 of which came in the first quarter with something like 4+ score involvements where they kicked 5.1 and we lost the game by 7 points.

Jed absolutely smashed him for the rest of the game. The only impact he had was in the first and that impact could be argued as being the difference.

Polec is in the Nick Dale Santos group of using North for Money. That is where it starts and ends. If we can play him to the strengths he has fine, if we can't don't play him.

Yeah. Look I agree that players need to suck it up and play the roles they're given - particularly in a developing team - however I'm not convinced J Polec has the natural toolset to lock down on a contested beast like Cripps even with the best of intentions.

In all honesty I hope both player and club have come to a better understanding of their places and he can play out his contract as a valuable contributor.

Yeah. Look I agree that players need to suck it up and play the roles they're given - particularly in a developing team - however I'm not convinced J Polec has the natural toolset to lock down on a contested beast like Cripps even with the best of intentions.

In all honesty I hope both player and club have come to a better understanding of their places and he can play out his contract as a valuable contributor.

In that game in particular Polec had the North highlight, in fact it was probably top 3 highlights from last year when he nutmegged a guy with a handball which resulted in a goal. (the other top 3 would be Maj's return and the ridiculous kick from Polec vs GWS).

Nobel gives the appearance of a better high level manager with a more experienced measured response to things. Where Polec was concerned Shaw looked like the guy had pissed him off and that was the end of it.

Given the premium we are placing on ball usage, very real prospect that Jared's best footy is in front of him. Given he's been out for some time we will just need to wait and see.

I drove down a greasy wet dirt road yesterday. It was a stupid decision as my car is not built for that.

None of us know what happened last year with the Cripps debacle. It was a rumour that has since been cited as fact with very little evidence. There was one oppo supporter who clearly knew Jared who popped in to say that it didn't happen as others have said it did.

If he did question the task, there's a HUGE spectrum ranging from the player saying "get ****ed, I don't wanna" all the way to a thoughtful request to reconsider.

All we know is that the hub went to s**t and it has since been revealed that the coaching staff weren't performing to the best of their abilities in the hub, and relationships may have been strained.

This guy can kick, he can find the ball, and is one of the more damaging wingmen in the comp when up and about. If Noble can use him, he will.

If he’s deemed to be in good nick, I can’t see any reason not to play him. We’re paying him well, he should be playing well for us. We haven’t really seen him under Nobel yet.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Agree . I really like the way Noble & the S& C team are bringing players back from long term injury. They make them train with the main group 2-3 weeks , building intensity week by week . Then it’s a min 1/2 a game in the VFL , to a full game in the VFL & only then (form depending) will they be considered for selection .
no rushing players & risk re injury again .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back