Past #13: Jared Polec - delisted end '21 - redrafted w/ #1 in '21 RD - re-delisted end '22 - 42 NM games/20 NM goals

Ether

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think this unfortunately may be the case. He would be a massive asset if he played as directed.
So we have a player who has hardly played this year under a new coach (in the vfl) running to bad spots and the conclusion is that he must be selfish?

So we have a player who has hardly played this year under a new coach (in the vfl) running to bad spots and the conclusion is that he must be selfish?
I'm not concluding that, but just agreeing that may be the case based upon what I too have seen in the VFL and the subsequent non selection.
I'd love to see him playing to his ability in the seniors. I actually rate the guy.

Lavy_Panther

Premiership Player
Jul 8, 2005
Mumbai Dustbowl
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Parthiv Patel
9BF9C9F9-A1DC-4B9B-AFE4-3BB0450F7D44.jpeg

teethmeetsflesh

Cancelled
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I look at Polec and I don’t know, don’t think Polly fits in.
He just seems off.
Yeah as good as a player that he is I just get the feeling that none of the group like him. I know a few of the Port guys and it was the same there by all reports.

Yeah as good as a player that he is I just get the feeling that none of the group like him. I know a few of the Port guys and it was the same there by all reports.
Does seem to be someone that keeps to himself, you never see him with any of the team in a social setting

And that not gelling off field looks like it translates to on field

I recall not even 1 teammate from port went to his wedding when he was playing there

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Does seem to be someone that keeps to himself, you never see him with any of the team in a social setting

And that not gelling off field looks like it translates to on field

I recall not even 1 teammate from port went to his wedding when he was playing there

Keeps his footy and social life separate, and isn't too keen on what AFL players get up to off field. Always two sides to it mate.

Keeps his footy and social life separate, and isn't too keen on what AFL players get up to off field. Always two sides to it mate.
I think I said that in my post he keeps to himself

Which in a team environment is not always a good thing for bonding and comradery and can be maybe loosely explain why he plays selfish footy which has been noted by many even at vfl level

amaz199

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I reckon we might be going too early on him considering just how much better our ball movement has been since he got injured.

It wasn't just him getting caught either, when Lazz played his position it was the same thing. Our cohesion and structure sucked on the counter and it sold our wingers too often.

He has shown too much to just give him the red cross. Surely he can still have a significant impact?

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Unless there are genuine personality issues at play, I don't know why they would just shitcan him.

I still reckon that if he was used properly as an offensive winger he would be one of the best in the league. Obviously part of that would involve team mates using him properly and covering for his deficiencies, but my point is that he has undeniable talent. And the gameplan would suit a player like him.

His selfishness on field is a bit frustrating, but It's conceivable it comes from a "good" motivation rather than him just wanting to pad his stats and be the star, and if that's the case it should be pretty coachable if the new regime finds the right levers. I'm just as concerned about his elite kicking going missing every second disposal fwiw, but over the course of his career he's shown himself very capable of being a massive weapon.

Looking from afar what The Ziebull has said is what I have thought. Jared seems quite a private person, nothing wrong with that mind you.
But in a team sport it can cause issues, and sometimes people can get the wrong impression of someone .

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I reckon we might be going too early on him considering just how much better our ball movement has been since he got injured.

It wasn't just him getting caught either, when Lazz played his position it was the same thing. Our cohesion and structure sucked on the counter and it sold our wingers too often.

He has shown too much to just give him the red cross. Surely he can still have a significant impact?
Rightly or wrongly he has a contract. We honour it and judge him at it's conclusion approaches.

Ischenko

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't think he offers much that we couldn't get from Charlie Lazzaro, and getting games into Charlie is a better long term investment for a number of reasons

Huge fan of Lazz but way to early to call this. Polec at his best is very very good. Lazz is a promising kid who has shown glimpses.

Polec is a real head scratcher though - if he’s fit you’d think automatic best 22. So why isn’t he playing? Obviously Shaw was seriously frustrated with him, and at the time I thought the tough love dished out was good coaching....Is Noble doing the same? There’s gotta be something more to this. We are developing a tight young group but surely even if Jared doesn’t gel socially that shouldn’t matter - at the end of the day it’s professional sport and whilst of course intangibles like team cohesion are huge I can’t believe he’s that much of a bad influence that his talent can just be disregarded...

Anyone in the know please enlighten us!

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Real bad look to give a contract then try to offload said player. Didn't work out well for collingwood.
I somehow doubt we backended the s**t out of his contract, then tried to use the media against him to force him out the door calling him a weak campaigner that would sook it up with his partner away and that the other players wanted him gone.

Fairly different circumstances.

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I somehow doubt we backended the sh*t out of his contract, then tried to use the media against him to force him out the door calling him a weak campaigner that would sook it up with his partner away and that the other players wanted him gone.

Fairly different circumstances.
Agreed. We did non of the sort. But that's not what I was suggesting. I simply think you give a contract you honour it.

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He’d be perfect for saints or carlton

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Back