Past #13: Jared Polec - delisted end '21 - redrafted w/ #1 in '21 RD - re-delisted end '22 - 42 NM games/20 NM goals

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
Needs the run.

He's not AFL fit. In fact, he's in a shape I don't think I've seen him in so who knows what he's conditioning for. In three weeks we'll know because he'll get every chance, we're paying him too much not to.

There were a few moments of aggression today I thought were new for him, he can keep that up. All in all thought I thought he played better last week.

Needs the run.

He's not AFL fit. In fact, he's in a shape I don't think I've seen him in so who knows what he's conditioning for. In three weeks we'll know because he'll get every chance, we're paying him too much not to.

There were a few moments of aggression today I thought were new for him, he can keep that up. All in all thought I thought he played better last week.
I thought he played with more aggression in the second half, and then lifted overall. Lifted after laying a good tackle and a JZ head ruffle. Down on confidence, not a squib.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
I thought he played with more aggression in the second half, and then lifted overall. Lifted after laying a good tackle and a JZ head ruffle. Down on confidence, not a squib.

He followed through on Dangerfield twice and I wondered if they were matched up. If they were, Danger was none.

hellas_johnny

Premiership Player
May 26, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
South Melbourne Hellas
Tried to tackle so some effort we get l there however he's still trying to ask for the ball in wrong positions. How many times does he want to go barely cm away from the ball carrier even though he also has a man close to him

I’m not a huge fan.
But he is coming back after a fair bit of time out so some leeway required as he gets back up to speed. Same with Jed today.
Got better as the game went on though.
If he’s a ‘depth’ player - the team is in a good place.
You never know, he may have to come in for a few injured players for important games in years to come if not traded out. Can turn it on and play a role in big games.

From the Tackle piece from Jon Ralph

Dislikes

5. Jared Polec

David Noble has turned a flighty one-way runner in Aaron Hall into a legitimately damaging half-back who gathered 36 touches at 86 per cent efficiency against the Cats.

Now he needs to find a role for high-priced wingman Jared Polec, who still has two more seasons on a contract worth a total of $1.4 million.

Polec still kicks darts with his left foot and showed he is capable of strong-bodied football when he wrested the ball from Patrick Dangerfield in a second-half stoppage with the game in the balance.

But he had a chance to sacrifice his body by surging back with the flight as Tom Stewart kicked to Gary Rohan in the pocket and instead declined.

He is capable of so much more than he is delivering.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
>But he had a chance to sacrifice his body by surging back with the flight as Tom Stewart kicked to Gary Rohan in the pocket and instead declined.

That part will never change. I have seen Jared pull out of, or just not even pretend to try and contest, countless aerial contests where he might take contact. It is what is is, and it's one of the reasons I am so against suggestions on here we play him in the back half of the ground more. With the ball on the ground he will often give a ferocious contest, but in the air it's another matter entirely.

I still think he's a great chance of owning a wing once again, probably with more time on ball or rolling forward than in previous years. It will be very interesting as to whether we persist with him next week though.

Last edited:
>But he had a chance to sacrifice his body by surging back with the flight as Tom Stewart kicked to Gary Rohan in the pocket and instead declined.

That part will never change. I have seen Jared pull out of, or just not even pretend to try and contest, countless aerial contests where he might take contact. It is what is is, and it's one of the reasons I am so against suggestions on here we play him in the back half of the ground more. With the ball on the ground he will often give a ferocious contest, but in the air it's another matter entirely.

I still think he's a great chance of owning a wing once again, probably with more time on ball or rolling forward than in previous years. It will be very interesting as to whether we persist with him next week though.
Agree. As much as we all like players who will always put their body on the line, there is still a place for players like Polec to play on the outside if it benefits us. They will never be greats, but getting the most of them is beneficial, particularly if we are already locked into contracts.

Firebat

Premium Platinum
Feb 23, 2010
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
C's
Really doesn't look match fit and unfortunately it's quite noticeable when he doesn't chase and push hard, because all the other North players are busting their ass.

Happy to 'gift' him games to see how he fits moving forward - particularly important as I just cannot see him attracting any sort of interest from other clubs in the off season and we're likely going to have him on our list for another 2 years - but he does need to show some more endeavour.

Mar 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Dislikes

5. Jared Polec

David Noble has turned a flighty one-way runner in Aaron Hall into a legitimately damaging half-back who gathered 36 touches at 86 per cent efficiency against the Cats.

Now he needs to find a role for high-priced wingman Jared Polec, who still has two more seasons on a contract worth a total of $1.4 million.

Polec still kicks darts with his left foot and showed he is capable of strong-bodied football when he wrested the ball from Patrick Dangerfield in a second-half stoppage with the game in the balance.

But he had a chance to sacrifice his body by surging back with the flight as Tom Stewart kicked to Gary Rohan in the pocket and instead declined.

Unfair....we've seen commentary about recklessly backing into the unknown. We've witnessed Boomer take a short step or two over his many years.
Credit when at those times where it's necessary but languishing on the bottom of the ladder didnt warrant it the other day.

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Dislikes

5. Jared Polec

Again, Jon demonstrates his lack of understanding on how things work. Polec's contract was heavily front ended, and not anywhere near 1.4 million.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Snojet

Team Captain
Aug 9, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Free to a good home. Will provide free feed and kennel.
He just doesn’t seem interested in buying in with any enthusiasm.
Hope we give him a few more games so he can prove me wrong.

Roos4eva

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2003
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Western United FC
Keep in the team for the next three weeks but IMO he still has something to offer.

Ischenko

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Considering he was possibly a bit less fit than usual, 'managed' might actually be accurate if a little kind depending on your perspective.

Certainly an interesting development.

Yeah he’s obviously not fully fit. Might legitimately just be that.

RossHenshaw

Club Legend
Sep 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Considering he was possibly a bit less fit than usual, 'managed' might actually be accurate if a little kind depending on your perspective.

Certainly an interesting development.
Noble made his mind up after the first half of last weeks game …
“Jared Polac - seen enough “
30ADA9C8-B77E-45B2-9DEC-E8F9EB707646.gif

Back