Senior 13. Jhye Clark (2022 - )

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d be gobsmacked if we played anything other than our premiership 22 injury permitting and all things bring equal over preseason plus Bowes.

Except history tells us that's unlikely to be the case

No premiership winning team has ever played together in the same side again following their grand final win, and we know that won't change going into 2023 with the retirement of Selwood

We also know that very rarely does the same line up of 22 unique players play more than 1 or 2 games together - I know the following is from 2019 & while it would be great to see an update covering the recent seasons, I doubt there's been any significant change to this:

1675838754008.png

The thread makes for interesting reading regarding these stats -

No premiership winning team has ever played together in the same side again following their grand final win, and we know that won't change going into 2023 with the retirement of Selwood

We also know that very rarely does the same line up of 22 unique players play more than 1 or 2 games together - I know the following is from 2019 & while it would be great to see an update covering the recent seasons, I doubt there's been any significant change to this:

View attachment 1602733

I think hoops means that the premiership team will be the starting point for selection for the first round, then see if form or injury requires replacements.

View attachment 1602733

I think hoops means that the premiership team will be the starting point for selection for the first round, then see if form or injury requires replacements.

View attachment 1602733

Great insight, defies belief on first reading to be honest.

Rings true when you watch replays of games from the 07-11 era and think "oh yeah, that guy".

Great insight, defies belief on first reading to be honest.

Rings true when you watch replays of games from the 07-11 era and think "oh yeah, that guy".

There's been 4 seasons since that info was collated, so no doubt some of those figures have changed & we may see a few more games together for the same unique 22, but thinking it'll still be on that same trend

I think this is where a best 22, especially from one season to the next is more of a focus for the fans than the coaches

It's an easy idea to think that the starting point for team selection will be the premiership team & then changes made on an as need basis - such as, Selwood has retired so who takes his spot, Cameron may be at the hospital pending the birth of his first child, so who's next in line...etc, but I'm not sure that's how how the club thinks, especially to start the season

I wouldn't be surprised if the coaches are working with more of a blank whiteboard, and names are added based on what's happened over summer & then the practice matches, rather than a fill the gap approach

There's been 4 seasons since that info was collated, so no doubt some of those figures have changed & we may see a few more games together for the same unique 22, but thinking it'll still be on that same trend

I think this is where a best 22, especially from one season to the next is more of a focus for the fans than the coaches

It's an easy idea to think that the starting point for team selection will be the premiership team & then changes made on an as need basis - such as, Selwood has retired so who takes his spot, Cameron may be at the hospital pending the birth of his first child, so who's next in line...etc, but I'm not sure that's how how the club thinks, especially to start the season

I wouldn't be surprised if the coaches are working with more of a blank whiteboard, and names are added based on what's happened over summer & then the practice matches, rather than a fill the gap approach
I think Scott will feel a loyalty to those men who won the flag. They all deserved to be in the team and incredibly, each one of them played very well on the big day. It will take some very good form to dislodge that 22 plus Holmes, aside from the inevitable injuries, but of course the team is not set in stone.
Tweaked tactics will also play a part in selection.

We arent taking into account tactical sub. We can put Any young guy as sub and bring him in at 3 quarter time no matter what if we want to pump game time
I think the club would be reluctant to give a first game to a young player as substitute only, rather than in his own right in the 22.

And you'd think long term the tactical sub will be used tactically by our opposition, so we'll need to do the same.

Although we might decide to use it to give experience to young or developing mids as a tactic.

And you'd think long term the tactical sub will be used tactically by our opposition, so we'll need to do the same.

Although we might decide to use it to give experience to young or developing mids as a tactic.
Yes, we definitely should use it to give experience to younger players, but would you really want your first game to be as substitute and coming on midway, for example, through the last quarter and getting one touch?

I expect it will happen that way, but it is not very good for a young player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, we definitely should use it to give experience to younger players, but would you really want your first game to be as substitute and coming on midway, for example, through the last quarter and getting one touch?

I expect it will happen that way, but it is not very good for a young player.
Agree

Yes i have Alawys said a best 22 is bull crap.

Once we establish ourselves, its a great way to rest players

I'm surprised it's mid-February and I haven't seen a "training the house down" article on Jhye Clarke yet. WTH are the lazy journalist doing this year? I was expecting at least half a dozen "The next Joel Selwood?" titled articles.

I'm surprised it's mid-February and I haven't seen a "training the house down" article on Jhye Clarke yet. WTH are the lazy journalist doing this year? I was expecting at least half a dozen "The next Joel Selwood?" titled articles.
Plenty of time for zero hanger to post another terrible article for click bait

Anything is possible but I'll suspect Chris and the MC will come up with something from left field on the odd occasion ;)

Plenty of time for zero hanger to post another terrible article for click bait
One of the most ill-informed media sites going around, and in this country that's saying something.

Articles are always full of spelling errors, misinformation, and just simply getting the facts wrong. I think I've seen them mention Brad Scott as our coach on at least three separate occasions.

Will no doubt have a 'Too old, Too slow' article if we start the season poorly.

You'd think a debut at home sometime April or May to get a feel for the pace of the game will be the way to go.
I feel we won’t see any debutants like Clark until round 3/4 when we have GC followed by the Hawks
I personally think he will play Easter Monday

I’ve noticed in the past we like to give young draftees a debutant game against other young sides
From memory Simpson, Zuthrie Knevitt, Stephen’s were against GWS
Dempsey and SDek against North

It can’t just be by coincidence

Remove this Banner Ad

Back