Past #13. Leigh Adams - coached SthCroydon to '17 flag - 18-19 COburg VFL coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure how much we read into this tweet.

I don't know who Frank Priscoglio is, but he has his home address (literally lat/long) on his Twitter profile. He lives near me haha.

VFL 2019: Coburg coach Leigh Adams steps down after two years
July 26, 2019 4:52am
Moreland Leader

Coburg senior coach Leigh “Patch’’ Adams is stepping down at the end of the season.

The former North Melbourne onballer told the VFL club yesterday that he would be moving on after two years in charge.

The Lions players were informed last night.

Adams joined the stand-alone Burgers after a fairytale flag with South Croydon in the Eastern Football League in 2017.

Coburg finished with one win, one draw and 16 losses last season but, despite an exodus of senior players, has improved to 2-12 this season, with three of the defeats by a goal or less.

Leigh Adams lifting South Croydon’s premiership cup with captain Daniel King.
In a statement, Coburg said Adams’ resignation would be effective from the Round 21 game against Footscray at Piranha Park on August 24.

“Leigh joined the club as senior coach prior to the 2018 season and we wish him all the best for the next chapter of his football coaching journey,’’ the statement said.

“The club will soon begin its process of replacing Leigh in the role of senior coach for the 2020 VFL season.

“The club will not be making any further comment at this stage and we encourage all Lions fans to get to ADCON Stadium tomorrow to cheer on our Lions players against Port Melbourne at 2pm.’’

Adams, 31, who played 104 games for North Melbourne, is a part-time coach at Coburg.

He is likely to pursue a coaching role at AFL level next season.

Adams has been contacted for comment.

Leigh Adams reveals his reasons for stepping down as Coburg coach
Former North Melbourne forward Leigh Adams will leave Coburg at season’s end after two years in charge of the VFL club. He explains why in an in-depth interview.
Ben Higgins, Moreland Leader
Subscriber only
|
July 30, 2019 4:30pm

Departing Coburg coach Leigh Adams has revealed the reasons behind his decision to step down and his players’ disappointment.
Adams has decided to exit the VFL club at season’s end after two challenging years in charge at Piranha Park.

The former North Melbourne forward has no concrete plans for 2020 but is hopeful of securing a role at an AFL club.

Adams said he’d achieved all he could at Coburg and an early decision was best for all parties.
“I would have loved to (see it through). We thought we were going in the right direction,” Adams said.

“From almost non-competitive last year to losing six games by under 17 points, it could have been a really different season for us from a win-loss perspective.

Coburg coach Leigh Adams addresses his players. Picture: Daniel Atamian
Coburg coach Leigh Adams addresses his players. Picture: Daniel Atamian

“It’s getting pretty tough with the resources, so I thought I got the best out of the group that I could.
“I thought it was best to get it out there as quickly as I could, to the board, and we came to an amicable decision to move on.”
While the Lions have scored just two wins this season, there has been significant improvement.
Podcast embed code

The club has suffered narrow losses to Collingwood (three points), Port Melbourne (six), Sandringham (10) and North Melbourne (three) and only three defeats by 10 goals or more.

The 2018 season delivered just one win, a draw and six 10-goal thumpings.

Sam Lowson was touted as a No.1 mid-season draft pick before injury struck, while Marcus Lentini, Luke Bunker and Steve Stroobants are VFL Team of the Year contenders.

Coburg also reached 1000 members for the first time in its history this year after having just 280 in 2017.

Adams admitted his players were disappointed but backed them to continue their improvement.
“Obviously a fair bit of disappointment (from the players). That was the probably hardest thing, telling the players,” he said.

“We feel like we’ve improved significantly in the past two years and we would have loved to have continued that journey.

“It wasn’t meant to be but I think they understand where I’m coming from.

“For their sake, I hope the next coach gets the opportunity to keep them together and build on what we’ve done this season.”
Leigh Adams will step down as Coburg coach at season’s end. Picture: Hamish Blair
Leigh Adams will step down as Coburg coach at season’s end. Picture: Hamish Blair

The Lions face a disruptive 2020 season with a redevelopment of Piranha Park to force them on to the road for much of the year.

After retiring from the AFL, Adams took the reins at Eastern Football League club South Croydon and guided the Bulldogs to their maiden top flight premiership in 2017.

The 31-year-old hopes to continue his journey at AFL level.

“I’d like to get into the AFL system, I’ve been pretty open with that for a while now,” he said.

“The role I would be looking at, if I was lucky enough to get in, would be around the development side of things.

“There’s going to be a few weeks of uncertainty I suppose but I’ll wait and see how that plays out.”
Coburg faces a difficult run home with clashes against Werribee (home), Williamstown (away) and Footscray (home).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ive heard hes coming to north?
Another former Roo joins coaching panel
Jon Ralph

North Melbourne is getting the band back together, with former player Leigh Adams set to join its coaching team.

Adams joined Coburg as a 29-year-old as a senior coach after he was forced into retirement by repeated concussions as a North Melbourne players.

He had impressed in a short stint coaching South Croydon, where he took his team to a premiership in a massive upset over rival Vermont.

It is understood he has knocked back overtures from Richmond and will join the Roos, who have added former tagger Brady Rawlings as their football boss.

His brother Jade Rawlings has just joined the club as a senior assistant after crossing from Melbourne.

Adams played 104 games for the Roos and won over the Coburg team with his strong relationships and galvanising presence.

He never resigned. He was told 3 weeks ago that he would not be reappointed. Some Coburg players are not happy after re-signing for next year after being told he would be the coach even though he had been told he would not.
Could not have been anymore wrong at that time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back