Delisted 13. Liam Stocker

Remove this Banner Ad

Couldn't have really asked for a better start to allay concerns about the future pick swap scenario. Stocker clearly has some AFL level attributes - skill on both sides and competitiveness in spades. Could be anything in a few years. Or nothing. But a good start.
Doesn’t mind his left. “Oh just a few mins left in a right game in front of over 60,000. Got the ball on the back 50. That’s ok I’ll swing on to my left and hit Willo”

Doesn’t mind his left. “Oh just a few mins left in a right game in front of over 60,000. Got the ball on the back 50. That’s ok I’ll swing on to my left and hit Willo”
Yep, and we have a couple who can do that now with Stocker and SPS. It's a beautiful thing.

I didn't see a moment of last week's game, so I went into this week looking closely for Stocker. I was so impressed with what I saw live that I went back to watch the replay. Here are 4 moments that stood out to me in his first quarter.

1. Liam gets out marked on the wing but still manages to get a fist in. He harasses the Collingwood player who is trying to collect the ball in front of the mark, forcing him to go back and kick long down the line.

2. Plowman sees the ball over the line. De Goey appeals for deliberate, and as Stocker runs passed he gives him a little elbow tickle to the ribs

3. Desperate spoil on Stephenson running back with the flight to the goal square, the ball hits the post for a rushed behind

4. Fisher kicks inboard to Cripps and Stocker takes off into space in the square. Cripps sees him and fires a 20m handpass into his lap. Collingwood players move to close him down and there are handball options, but he decides instead to steady, take the hit and put it lace out to Harry 45m directly in front.

I specifically highlight 1 and 2 because they are stat-less acts that will not stick out in peoples memory of the game, but they show how hungry this kid is to influence the game and the players around him. 3 and 4 just speak for themselves. Yes, he did spill a mark in there too, but if I was seeing that kind of application from a pick 6, or even a mature recruit, I would be stoked for their future with this club.

Big paws on this puppy.

My favourite effort of his was when Walsh got absolute stitched up with a shocking kick in a one on one with philips on the wing, got the hands out and with Will Hoskin Elliot and some other bloke on his ass picked it up one handed on his left at full speed and bombed an absolute rocket about 60 meters to Charlie in the forward line running back with the flight. But then the ball absolutely cooked us and bounced backwards lol. Don't know how good he will be in the end, but he's entertaining none the less.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At this stage I have him in a category with Dow and Cuningham that they have enough AFL attributes that you have to keep playing them in the seniors. This will come with some errors as they move along the learning curve.

But the long term result will be worth it.

I agree, I have high hopes for this kid. However, I still think it would be fine for him to play half the season or more in the 2's.... We desperately need to win games right now to develop a winning culture and as of now Simpson and Newman both offer far more in a game than Stocker does.

I hope he'll play 10 games or so, but I also think he should truly earn his spot, not just be given games in the name of development.

This kid will be a beauty, really impressive skills both sides, tough courageous doesn't take crap, strong in contests looked clever in congestion, looks to be a smart decision maker, tackled well and looked composed in only his second game. Wonderful trade from an extremely strong draft where we get to develop a player with his skill set 12mths earlier with a pick we didn't have, my comparison would be Luke Shuey with serious foot skills...

I agree, I have high hopes for this kid. However, I still think it would be fine for him to play half the season or more in the 2's.... We desperately need to win games right now to develop a winning culture and as of now Simpson and Newman both offer far more in a game than Stocker does.

I hope he'll play 10 games or so, but I also think he should truly earn his spot, not just be given games in the name of development.
Simpson has been playing since Stocker was in nappies, doesn’t exactly have a career with a winning culture in his history.

Might be enough room in the side for a newbie with Stockers attributes.

All these comparisons, Why don't we let him be the next Stocker?

Hopefully in future seasons he will be the player new kids will be compared to.

Having said that, I'm going to propose a comparison: David Teague..... looks like Jane, plays like Tarzan.:)

And before that extinct marsupial chides me........ I know, bit sexist.

If you want a comparison, im going brett ratten. Being developed the same way (backman and eventually be released into the middle) and has great kicking on both feet and hard as a cats head.

I really hate the heading on this thread though 'Could be a win/win after all' - surely our supporters aren't going to fall into the crap everyone else wants to talk s**t about - that the way he plays in 2019 has any influence on the trade. Carlton want this guy for the next 10-12 years, doesn't matter what he does this year, although its nice to see glimpses of course.

Nup, we need a back pocket desperately. For as long as form warrants it he stays to learn the game back there until he has the tank to play midfield minutes.

He did nothing on the weekend that tells me he’s a spud. just hard, tough and uncompromising attack on the footy with a kicking action to die for on either foot.

We can move others out to other positions ie Williamson to a wing and/or have one less tall down back

If he does go back to seconds, I’d like to see a 50/50 split back pocket/midfield.

We’re going to use our first round pick this year on an established midfielder via trade so in a few years time when analysing this trade it will be Stocker and (traded in player) V Adelaide’s pick. After watching Stocker against Collingwood, that sounds good to me

Didn't watch him get 3 brownlow votes against your mob in his first season then I take it.
I watched him on Saturday. He's an absolute terrier, but he sprayed it all over the place this week and that's not the first time I've thought that. He did look crisp with the footy in that highlights video of the Dogs game, so is it fair to say that he's a bit inconsistent?