Delisted 13. Liam Stocker

Remove this Banner Ad

Dow is another struggling with endurance. His grand final sprint was very poor. They need to build his tank too.

I wouldn’t say that. It gives the perception to everyone watching that he is unfit. If you’re not going to give it a red hot go then don’t participate.

Ed: Dow is no fev and never will be anywhere near his standard.

I don't mean to come across as picking on you, but that is a very poor and unlike conclusion to come to.

Firstly, saying his sprint was poor and using it to suggest he is needing to build his tank is actually ridiculous. One has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

Fev was great at the GF sprint for a couple of reasons; a) he usually/always had a handicap and b) was a phenomenal power athlete. Fev's ability to get on the lead and outsprint his opponents over short distances was basically second to none. He was extremely suited to a short sprint due to his powerful physique and athletic attributes. Dow is a 20 year old, skinny inside mid.

Back in the day, my best mate was a state class sprinter and I was a 201cm, 100kg ruckman/basketballer. I used to hit 2.8s in the 20m sprint and he could barely crack the 3 second mark. Once we got onto the track, I would be lucky to be within 40m of him in a 100m sprint. Horses for courses and different physiological make ups.

I don't mean to come across as picking on you, but that is a very poor and unlike conclusion to come to.

Firstly, saying his sprint was poor and using it to suggest he is needing to build his tank is actually ridiculous. One has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

Fev was great at the GF sprint for a couple of reasons; a) he usually/always had a handicap and b) was a phenomenal power athlete. Fev's ability to get on the lead and outsprint his opponents over short distances was basically second to none. He was extremely suited to a short sprint due to his powerful physique and athletic attributes. Dow is a 20 year old, skinny inside mid.

Back in the day, my best mate was a state class sprinter and I was a 201cm, 100kg ruckman/basketballer. I used to hit 2.8s in the 20m sprint and he could barely crack the 3 second mark. Once we got onto the track, I would be lucky to be within 40m of him in a 100m sprint. Horses for courses and different physiological make ups.
All good and thanks for the feedback. I do understand that there is a diff between power (required in sprinting) and tank (ability to run all day). Most of the 100 m sprint, if not all, is likely to use anaerobic capacity so I agree not 100% correct to draw the conclusion that I did. However he did struggle against the others in the race and they weren’t fevolas. Whether it is sprinting or long distance Dow needs to work harder. In games he has shown to give up chase. Maybe we used him too quickly in the seniors without giving him the necessary training first.

Article in the HS says:

Liam Stocker, 20

The Blues pushed so hard to secure Stocker by moving up the draft order in late 2018 and while he has good traits — a burst of speed, solid skills, a strong body — he has played only five games from Rounds 7-11 in 2019. Left the Blues hub to return to Melbourne several weeks back with personal issues

Reckon we will see him get a game at all this year?

Article in the HS says:

Liam Stocker, 20

The Blues pushed so hard to secure Stocker by moving up the draft order in late 2018 and while he has good traits — a burst of speed, solid skills, a strong body — he has played only five games from Rounds 7-11 in 2019. Left the Blues hub to return to Melbourne several weeks back with personal issues

Reckon we will see him get a game at all

Allegedly, the discipline required by AFL does not accord with Liam's world view. He is the type that may prefer other lifestyle choices. Hub life may not accord to the standards he is used to. The talent is present and fits our needs. Liam just needs to recalibrate his perspective before preaseason and "buy in"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Allegedly, the discipline required by AFL does not accord with Liam's world view. He is the type that may prefer other lifestyle choices. Hub life may not accord to the standards he is used to. The talent is present and fits our needs. Liam just needs to recalibrate his perspective before preaseason and "buy in"
Not sure this is correct MJ. Where did this info come from?

Highly doubtful Stocker plays this season. Would expect that he pushes into the senior side next year. It's a shame for these fringe guys that there is no real football played this year. For them it's pretty much been the longest preseason of all time.

Stocker appears to need some physical and mental maturity. Expectations would be that we see that next season.

Highly doubtful Stocker plays this season. Would expect that he pushes into the senior side next year. It's a shame for these fringe guys that there is no real football played this year. For them it's pretty much been the longest preseason of all time.

Stocker appears to need some physical and mental maturity. Expectations would be that we see that next season.
It is funny because his interview the day he was drafted was one of the most mature impressive ones I have seen.

It is funny because his interview the day he was drafted was one of the most mature impressive ones I have seen.

Probably correct but young players all need some mental development. How a player speaks and how mature they are as a footballer are two seperate things. Dustin Martin, Bruce Doull not known for their speaking and but their long football careers demonstrated the highest of football maturity. It dictates how they prepare and how they apply themselves during game. Doesn't always correlate with how they perform in front of a camera. Weitering being another example as a very straight and mature speaker who has had to mature a lot in his mindset as a footballer and IMO has still not quite peaked in that department.

Stocker is due to come on next season if he is to mature at an average rate. He'll be 21 and that's when players like him start to do enough to get noticed if they have the talent. No injuries and a good preseason should get the job done.

Reality is we know nothing about why he returned home and judging by how nobody at the club is really begrudging him, I think we should respect the personal nature of it and not cast aspersions as to his character.

He's a very young kid, his decision making might lack perspective and he may not be as equipped to deal with hub life for a myriad of reasons. We have plenty of talented kids on the brink of senior footy, we can afford Liam the time. Personally, when he was fit and in the senior side, I loved what he brought and maybe this time away will allow him to really launch into the next phase.

So you reckon that Liam left the hub because he fancies other “lifestyle” choices. As Liam Stocker is still a Carlton footballer and he hasn’t been sacked by the club, I expect he left the hub for “personal reasons”. No one is leaving hub life to return home to their state because they feel like it.