Delisted 13. Liam Stocker

Remove this Banner Ad

That interview was brilliant.

Impressive young man. Obviously self aware and a deep thinker.

He didn't go into exactly what transpired last year but obviously felt he needed to win the respect or the group back.

So happy for him that he has found his place in the team and the group. And also discovered the man he wants to strive to be.

What I also really loved is how much he said Weitering and Jones have helped him on and off the field.

I don't think Jonesy gets enough credit of what a great influence he is.

So glad we have stock. Going to have a wonderful career with us.

*insert SOS fist pump here*
Self aware it’s infectious he’s the kind of teammate you would trust
You would happily open up about any doubts or troubles with him
Revealing you’re weaknesses can strengthen you those little voices of doubt and insecurity lose power when expressed
Some one mentioned culture building I think that’s accurate characters like this elevate there team mates
They create foundations to a strong team through actions on and of field
His resilience through adversity of field and uncompromising attitude on field is a great example for teammates
Especially draftees and 1st and second year players
You mentioned a deep thinker I agree what I find encouraging is I’ve got a feeling some of his thoughts have been worked on with Russel and team psychiatrist

Like everyone I'm just absolutely blown away by that interview. We have an incredible prospect on our hands here, like a genuine team-lifting, culture-changing leader.

I loved Stocker's uncompromising and aggressive on-field contribution this year but his off-field input projects as being his most valuable asset. I know not everyone can be a leader but compare that projection to those of a Setterfield, Fisher etc.

This kid has it, and he's going to make others look within and unlock it too.

I was becoming very skeptical of the moves sos made to draft Liam and also because of what happened last year when he left the group and returned to melbourne. I also thought he may have been a bit lazy due to him still carrying some body fat and not getting a game.

Boy o boy was I wrong.

This guy is genuinely tuff and as others have said compassionate too.

Can’t wait to see him after another preseason under his belt and hopefully with better coaching

SOS did some excellent work getting Kemp, Stocker and Philp through the door the way he did. We are talking about 400+ games of football for Carlton right there.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

source.gif

from the Next Captain thread post: 70605127 said:
Been thinking about the last couple of years and wondering if we should reconsider our leadership structure.
I am suggesting that we go back to a single captain with a couple of vice C's.
My thoughts are that we don't simply have the best player as our captain.
I would suggest someone like Weitering as Captain and then nominate Cripps, Walsh or Doc or even someone like Stocker (who has a go) as Vice C's
We need to have more leaders step up and if we have our best player as captain then there is a higher expectation on them to do the majority of the work rather than letting them do their natural game.

I think there were plenty of people that were worried about Stocker last year especially in light of some of the rumours about his attitude and of course his departure from the hub midway through the season. Some even talked about trading him last year.

But it just goes to show that we all need to remember that being successful as an AFL football takes more than just talent and there is plenty happening outside of footy that can influence their form and performances. Stocker's recruitment is a perfect example that recruiting is only part of the journey and that for recruiters to be successful they must trust the club can support and develop the player also. When recruiters are making decisions on particular prospects they are ideally considering the potential of each recruit and their best possible trajectory, all while full well knowing that this is completely dependent on the support and development of the football club. Every prospect needs time to mature and develop to reach their potential and it happens at different rates for each person. What Stocker has shared is part of his journey and what it took for him to grow into who he is.

We all need to be far more patient with these young men and give them an opportunity to grow and learn before we write them off or label them as failures. I know no-one of saying this about Stocker now but this is mainly in reference to others like SPS, Dow, LOB and Setters. Perhaps they are yet to have a Jones or Weiters really help them or experience something in life that gives them that self belief or helps things to all of a sudden click.

Also those that talk about SOS's exploits as failures are again discounting the importance of club support and development in getting the best out of the talent we have. I really hope that Stock has shared this with his team mates and they gain some of the perspective he has so humbly experienced.

That interview is awesome. The kid's got 'it', on and off field.

Just rewatched the Coaches Corner video on him too. Can't wait for him to 'graduate' to the midfield.
he's no chicken, stock..........

What a tremendous interview that is. It's wonderful to hear any young person speak in this way, with such self-awareness, respect, honesty and poise, but that he's one of Carlton's young men is just reassuringly lovely.

How Liam has bounced back from what must've been a very difficult and alienating 2020 is a real credit to him, and to all who supported him throughout. Many stories like this don't end so well, or at the very least, have many continued ups and downs. Stock's desire to better himself and others, with great empathy it seems, really stand him in great stead to deal with any challenges to come, as a player, leader and teammate. Can only imagine that his new coach is going to love him, too.