Delisted 13. Liam Stocker

Remove this Banner Ad

That's a refreshing interview and extremely well spoken ..
I must admit him opening up a serious can of whoop ass on miocheck was the highlight of my year in football ..
yep, might have to agree with that.........

I think there were plenty of people that were worried about Stocker last year especially in light of some of the rumours about his attitude and of course his departure from the hub midway through the season. Some even talked about trading him last year.

But it just goes to show that we all need to remember that being successful as an AFL football takes more than just talent and there is plenty happening outside of footy that can influence their form and performances. Stocker's recruitment is a perfect example that recruiting is only part of the journey and that for recruiters to be successful they must trust the club can support and develop the player also. When recruiters are making decisions on particular prospects they are ideally considering the potential of each recruit and their best possible trajectory, all while full well knowing that this is completely dependent on the support and development of the football club. Every prospect needs time to mature and develop to reach their potential and it happens at different rates for each person. What Stocker has shared is part of his journey and what it took for him to grow into who he is.

We all need to be far more patient with these young men and give them an opportunity to grow and learn before we write them off or label them as failures. I know no-one of saying this about Stocker now but this is mainly in reference to others like SPS, Dow, LOB and Setters. Perhaps they are yet to have a Jones or Weiters really help them or experience something in life that gives them that self belief or helps things to all of a sudden click.

Also those that talk about SOS's exploits as failures are again discounting the importance of club support and development in getting the best out of the talent we have. I really hope that Stock has shared this with his team mates and they gain some of the perspective he has so humbly experienced.

This just simply makes sense. I can't 'yep' it enough. Spot on.

Jesus walks on water.
Liam Stocker swims through land.

Just heard the whole interview with Stocker.
What an inspiration. And how wonderfully mature, articulate and gracious is this young man.
I must confess he was always one of my favourites from the very beginning.
Just thought there was something special about him.
I saw him in person at training in the early days, he was spinning the footy on his finger, he could flick the ball up with his feet like a start soccer player.
I thought, this kid has got somthing special.
Feel so grateful to have players like him, Weiters & Jones in our side. Makes you proud.
I hope Stocker tears it apart in 2022. Maybe as an on baller.

I rewatched the draft night video of the live pick swap the other night. Great to get such an insight into what happens. Also there is the most hilarious awkward fist bump/handshake between Bolts and who I think is Shane O'Sullivan

Liam Stocker . Love him .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought all the word was.... real talent... great skills... toughness and leadership... wait until he builds a tank.

Then this? Nothing. We get NOTHING?!?! WTF happened?

I'm not a good enough judge to know whether Stocker makes it or not, but far out what galls me something chronic is our club's ability to waste resources. List wealth is everything, and we make SO MANY mistakes. OK, we've drafted a strong core - but with the most rolled goal picks you could have (Weiters, Walsh, Curnow, McKay). To miss would have been criminal. But we still seem to turn premium picks into nothing (SPS, Dow probably) better than anyone else, and just TORCH mid-range picks like the Stocker one and get nothing.

I don't really see a compelling reason to clear the decks of our list further, so can only conclude the club now believes Stocker simply won't be good enough.

Last edited: