Toast #189 Luke Shuey (2010 - 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 9 vs Geelong
This was the game where Nic Nat took an immense mark- "had a look at City Beach".
Shuey was once again one of the best on ground, with 24 disposals and 1 goal.

Round 10 vs North
Our third loss for the season in horrible conditions in Hobart- why are we made to travel their?!?
shuey again named among the best on ground, with 29 disposals. His protege Liam Duggan also kicked the first goal of his career.

Round 11 vs Essendon
West Coast pantsed Essendon, but Boots had a quiet game with a minor 20 disposals.

Round 12 vs Richmond
Playing their third game in thirteen days after 3 flights with injuries galore, West Coast defeated the well rested Tigers by 20 points.
Again a fairly quite one from Shuey with 22 disposals, limping into the bye.

Round 13 vs the Bye
Only Nat Fyfe gets Brownlow points versus the bye, but Shuey was probably up there, enjoying a celebration for his 25th birthday.

Round 14 vs Melbourne
After a difficult few days West Coast struggled to keep their head in the game, however bursting out of the blocks in the fourth quarter to record a 54 point win. Shuey had a quiet game with 20 disposals. Hurn mentioned later in the week that Shuey had been quite close to Walsh, and this may explain his struggle during the game against Melbourne.

Round 15 vs Crows
Round 15 marked Shuey's 100th game. However it was fairly overshadowed by the opposition- Adelaide- who played their first game since the death of their senior coach Phil Walsh. Arguably best on ground, Shuey had an impressive performance with 31 disposals and 2 goals, as well as 9 clearances, roving Nic NAt perfectly. However nothing was more impressive than following the game. Comforting and supporting Dangerfield, and then later running to give Rory Sloane a hug on the boundary line and a quick chat as Adelaide walked off the field. Adam Simpson alluded to it earlier this week when he said Shuey loves the West Coast Eagles, and "he is a carer."

416826.jpg

Anyone got any heat maps of his last few games. Be interested to see if this HFF move is a concerted thing, injury related?

Congrats Norm Smith medalist truly deserving. Foundation of a super team now one of the best of all time. Still love the goal after the siren to eliminate port last year. Nearly had a heart attack 40 seconds to go in the gf til your mark.

Where do we start?

Originally drafted to West Coast as an end of 1st Round Priority pick (pick 18), adversity came pretty early. in 2009, Luke faced OP, a broken leg, and the tragic death of his little sister. The club granted Shuey indefinite leave during this period, Luke would later state: "That's when I knew I wanted to spend the rest of my career here...the love they show for their brothers, supporting you through thick and thin."

On Saturday, Luke Shuey had the best individual performance EVER recorded by Champion Data in an AFL final, rightfully winning the Norm Smith medal.
The club's support was repaid 100 times over on Saturday afternoon, and I'm just honored to have been there proudly wearing my #13 jumper.

To Luke, congratulations on becoming a new dad, a Norm Smith medalist, a premiership player, and a West Coast legend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back