AFL Player #13: Nik Cox 🦄 - Skipper called him 'the Unicorn' in an interview (confirmed!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sleep Yawn GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But but but everyone wants their blicavs.

Guys a freak, doubtful anyone can replicate that

Blicavs also took a number of years to be able to do what he's doing now, and was ~ 22 when he debuted for Geelong.

Cox's athletic profile is very similar to Blicavs, so in another 5 years time maybe he will be that ultra-tall endurance beast utility player, for now though he needs to find a clear role and settle in, playing Wing as a new role for him, in a dysfunctional side is a hard task.

Blicavs at least came in to a very experienced and settled Geelong side.

Blicavs also took a number of years to be able to do what he's doing now, and was ~ 22 when he debuted for Geelong.

Cox's athletic profile is very similar to Blicavs, so in another 5 years time maybe he will be that ultra-tall endurance beast utility player, for now though he needs to find a clear role and settle in, playing Wing as a new role for him, in a dysfunctional side is a hard task.

Blicavs at least came in to a very experienced and settled Geelong side.

i see it more like group think sheep mentality - theres is always this prototype guy that every team tries to find all at once - one minute everybody was looking for the cripps tall strong mid, or it was the dusty mid/fwd burst guy - the pendles basketball background guy - now everyone wants the hybrid blicavs who can play ruck, full back, run on the ball, take a wing, drive the bus, cut the oranges and service your wife free of charge

the guy is an anomaly, a steeple chaser who happened to be able to kick a footy - lightning rarely striked the same spot twice.

Lets just turn cox into cox and watch everyone try find the next cox

The consideration no one has really made is that he doesn’t really end up a ‘tall’.

I actually thought they’d start him off a half back flank as a soft intro and just let him pick off high balls playing against smalls, and he still may end up there. He also may also end up a high motor lead up high forward similar to a Jamie Cripps type, but a 2 metre tall match up nightmare.

Wherever he goes he’ll either be taller or quicker than his opponent so it’s all about how that’s best utilised.

The consideration no one has really made is that he doesn’t really end up a ‘tall’.

I actually thought they’d start him off a half back flank as a soft intro and just let him pick off high balls playing against smalls, and he still may end up there. He also may also end up a high motor lead up high forward similar to a Jamie Cripps type, but a 2 metre tall match up nightmare.

Wherever he goes he’ll either be taller or quicker than his opponent so it’s all about how that’s best utilised.

thats true, he might just be the utllity type who grew tall but dosent play tall - i mean English plays like the mid he used to be even though hes ruckman height now - and has become a weapon because of it

thats true, he might just be the utllity type who grew tall but dosent play tall - i mean English plays like the mid he used to be even though hes ruckman height now - and has become a weapon because of it

Lukosious too.

The inverse would be Jeremy Howe that’s basically been playing centre half back at about 6’2.

I like him as part of a backline with Ridley, Reid, Zerk and Lav. Pressure up the field and just intercept everything in the air.

Could maybe involve Montgomerie too given overhead marking is his one wood as a smaller player.

I said it when we drafted him and I have not deviated from it.
He isnt Mark Blicavs, he is Justin Westhoff (who was a very handy player, Port still haven't replaced his output).

Essentially a 3rd tall/high-leading forward that can
  • swing back late as a 7th defender when we need to halt momentum
  • go onto the wing when the match up is right
  • pinch hit in the ruck around the ground (not CB) if a match day injury requires.
Essentially the human form of Selley's no more gaps - starting forward and filling in needs as required

I cannot say I'm particularly high on Nik right now. I'm not sure what he is and I don't think the coaching staff knows that either. However, he is a big kid and they can take longer to develop.

But I also cannot get too frustrated by it because that draft class is probably the worst class in the AFL era and there is no clear 'miss' that we could have got instead of Cox. A shame that was the draft we had three top 10 picks in :sick:

I cannot say I'm particularly high on Nik right now. I'm not sure what he is and I don't think the coaching staff knows that either. However, he is a big kid and they can take longer to develop.

But I also cannot get too frustrated by it because that draft class is probably the worst class in the AFL era and there is no clear 'miss' that we could have got instead of Cox. A shame that was the draft we had three top 10 picks in :sick:
What? We drafted two tall kids who take longer to develop and both of whom have been injured. Perkins has shown plenty as well. Even players like JUH, Campbell, Thilthorpe, Henry and O'Driscoll have been good. Considering their lack of junior years, the 2020 draft is tracking fine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back