AFL Player #13: Nik Cox 🦄 - Skipper called him 'the Unicorn' in an interview (confirmed!)

Remove this Banner Ad

I just want to see a 200cm guy play on the wing. End of story. It is absurd but so is this guy's athletics stats. Going to be fun to watch how we seek to develop and use him.
It'll be glorious

I have an odd concern with his kicking mechanics from the footage I have seen. Noting that this is similar to an NFL quarterback throwing concern; it takes a long time for him to get a kick off, as each time he kicks he lowers his body to put the ball accurately on his boot, I have not really seen anything like it before. In saying that, he has a beautiful low trajectory kick that I am sure will set players up in open play.

I think we start him at half back but we should all be prepared for him to play as a CHF (and not bitch and moan about it when it happens).

We're using about 70% of his talents at half back. A guy with his engine and kicking ability has to be looked at as a CHF.

He's a very exciting prospect.

I think we start him at half back but we should all be prepared for him to play as a CHF (and not b*tch and moan about it when it happens).

We're using about 70% of his talents at half back. A guy with his engine and kicking ability has to be looked at as a CHF.

Peak Justin Westhoff should be his role for mine.

200cm wingman/link man that can slip forward or back in-game to suit dependant on what the team needs and what is happening on the day.

I have an odd concern with his kicking mechanics from the footage I have seen. Noting that this is similar to an NFL quarterback throwing concern; it takes a long time for him to get a kick off, as each time he kicks he lowers his body to put the ball accurately on his boot, I have not really seen anything like it before. In saying that, he has a beautiful low trajectory kick that I am sure will set players up in open play.
Gotta say....I'm not seeing it.

Reckon his kicking will translate to AFL with no issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alright Essington, let’s see if we can do this...

He’s not a wingman

He’s not going to be a ******* wingman

Him and we are not changing the entire game of football overnight.

Get that out of your heads now you hunch of non-developing, clueless *s

Can we PLEEEEEEEASE not spend three years on some stupid ******* experiment and turn him into a new Kepler Bradley

So he’s mobile and can run. Nice. Sounds like a good attribute for a KPP.

Work out - QUICKLY - whether he’s a forward, ruck or defender, put him there and leave. him. the. *. there.

No Ryder please. No 6 years playing him in ******* defence and deep forward when it’s clear as ******* daylight he’s a ruckman.

We’ve ruined hundreds of youngsters, let’s not try it again.

Surely he plays the Jack Lukosius role for us, Jack is hardly a defensive beast but his distribution is absolute class.

Surely he plays the Jack Lukosius role for us, Jack is hardly a defensive beast but his distribution is absolute class.

Sounds like there’ll be some quality distribution from out of our back half with Ridley, Reid and Cox

Alright Essington, let’s see if we can do this...

He’s not a wingman

He’s not going to be a ******* wingman

Him and we are not changing the entire game of football overnight.

Get that out of your heads now you hunch of non-developing, clueless fu**s

Can we PLEEEEEEEASE not spend three years on some stupid ******* experiment and turn him into a new Kepler Bradley

So he’s mobile and can run. Nice. Sounds like a good attribute for a KPP.

Work out - QUICKLY - whether he’s a forward, ruck or defender, put him there and leave. him. the. fu**. there.

No Ryder please. No 6 years playing him in ******* defence and deep forward when it’s clear as ******* daylight he’s a ruckman.

We’ve ruined hundreds of youngsters, let’s not try it again.
He wants to be a key defender so that's probably what he'll be. But when you watch him he reminds me of a certain other 200cm player who liked to run up the wings as a sort of ruckman (but whom otherwise had 'key forward' branded across his forehead).

I think we start him at half back but we should all be prepared for him to play as a CHF (and not b*tch and moan about it when it happens).

I suspect the thing we need to work out with Cox is being the appropriate amount of creative. Having him essentially play as a half back flanker but super tall means he can probably play a lot of next year without having to deal with gorillas and being overpowered, could be a nice way to ease him in.

At least initially I think you have to think of him as a dual sided Dyson Heppell but taller and better by foot.

Reckon that’s almost a worst case scenario.

In the sense of lets see if can play forward or even as some sort of Ungodly 200cm midfielder first. If he can’t then it seems like we can move him back and know that at the very least he can play this role for us.

But try him initially in higher value roles where he can impact the scoreboard.

I wonder actually if him becoming a ruckman is exactly what we're hoping for, since we only had three rucks on the list (Draper, Bryan, Phillips, four if you're counting Wright). Might be that Bryan becomes the defender and Cox the ruck.
He said he's never played ruck before. Reid is probably the most likely of the four guys drafted to be one.

Given his athletic attributes, it makes most sense to me to play him as a CHF. Can get up the ground and be a target and wear his man down whilst being hard to match up at 200cm. Seems best way to take advantage of his running capability than having him stuck in defensive 50. Reid is the more natural defender it seems.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back