AFL Player #13: Nik Cox 🦄 - Skipper called him 'the Unicorn' in an interview (confirmed!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Geez he has some exciting attributes. You rarely see players that are so genuinely dual sided. It just gives you so many more options and when you combine it with his height, endurance and pace and I'd be surprised if he didn't make it as a long term player for us.

I'd suggest he might start in the backline but still a fair chance to move forward in time.

Could he model his game on a Nick Blakey? Similar size, similar body shape? Nick is an outstanding player that’s still developing after 2 years?
He can and that would work out well.

All I've seen of him is the highlights real on YouTube; does he even have a preferred foot?!!!!!!!! What most excites me is the fact that he actually seems to think before he acts, footy smarts are rare these days (too much emphasis on athleticism).

That is a good attribute and could set him apart from some others at Essendon that don't seem to think or take too long to think.

Looks like a jet. Smart thing to do would be settle him somewhere for his first couple of years.

let’s see if we can stuff this up.

We're not going to stuff this up.

Cox's versatility should enable him to play half forward, half back and wing for every game he is fit to play.

We have to accept that it will always be a slow burn for a guy of his size. He'll look best at half back because it's the easiest position on the ground to play. Wing and forward are much more difficult but that won't mean he is being "destroyed".

We're also stacked for half backs and 3rd tall defenders. With Reid likely to be able to play straight away as a half back.

He can learn a lot about the game playing week in week out in his first few years before being settled and I agree that he should ultimately be settled in a position.

That is a good attribute and could set him apart from some others at Essendon that don't seem to think or take too long to think.

It's what I look for most in a player.

We're not going to stuff this up.

Cox's versatility should enable him to play half forward, half back and wing for every game he is fit to play.

We have to accept that it will always be a slow burn for a guy of his size. He'll look best at half back because it's the easiest position on the ground to play. Wing and forward are much more difficult but that won't mean he is being "destroyed".

We're also stacked for half backs and 3rd tall defenders. With Reid likely to be able to play straight away as a half back.

He can learn a lot about the game playing week in week out in his first few years before being settled and I agree that he should ultimately be settled in a position.
Will be very disappointed if Cox doesn't play those positions at the same time tbh.

Will he be like Hurley in a sense that he’s obviously a defender but we’ll try him up forward (and potentially around the ground) til he finally gets there? Or is it not as obvious..?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting that he modeled his game on Bob Murphy. I think for Nik his height is really not his defining feature as a player but a welcome bonus. Could end up playing anywhere I reckon.

Will he be like Hurley in a sense that he’s obviously a defender but we’ll try him up forward (and potentially around the ground) til he finally gets there? Or is it not as obvious..?

I think he'll be best as a tall flanker or winger, that can plug holes back / forward / ruck as required. Basically similar to Westhoff.

Draft bunker....

Dan Jordan: he takes set shots on either foot

Leigh Tudor: why?

Dodo: cause he can.

Lol at that but boy that video was over edited much like the GWS video footage.

Would’ve been more insightful to see reactions when top 6 were taken or when Eyre and Brand were bid on.

Lol at that but boy that video was over edited much like the GWS video footage.

Would’ve been more insightful to see reactions when top 6 were taken or when Eyre and Brand were bid on.

More Interesting we focused the entire thing around an admin assistant... But we are progressive with quotas!

More Interesting we focused the entire thing around an admin assistant... But we are progressive with quotas!

TO me, there seemed to be a fair bit of PR spin around Dodo, they must've been reading the Essendon BF view on his tenure.

TO me, there seemed to be a fair bit of PR spin around Dodo, they must've been reading the Essendon BF view on his tenure.

It reminded me of a Nazi propaganda film!

Nationalistic jingoistic...who are we, we are Essendon, we are going to do this this and this, we are strong, we are leaders, we have fit able young men - vision of kids on the oval excercising.. into the bunker for mein Kampf, our draft manifesto. The perfect plan would be to get these 3 players.. wow! It happened, divine intervention! Dodo lying back in his casual clothes while everyone else dressed in club polo. He's our leader, on a different plane. Or maybe I've been watching too much history channel...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back