Player Watch #13 Oliver Florent

Remove this Banner Ad

b3ebc66265ef6bd495af79a6160b9352

Oliver Florent
Young speedster Oliver Florent has become a crucial element of coach John Longmire’s team since the Sydney Swans secured him with their first selection at the 2016 AFL Draft. The Victorian has shown glimpses of exhilarating footy on a wing, most memorably when he jagged a runaway goal in Round 4, 2018 to seal a gripping victory for the Swans over the Bulldogs. But Florent, who’s also spent time on the inside of the contest, is determined to continue to grow his game as a hybrid midfielder in 2020.

Oliver Florent
DOB: 22 July 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #11, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/Mentone Grammar (Vic)/Sandringham U18

Curious to see what we do with Florent this year. He's been winning a lot more of his possessions in the back half so far (74% defensive half vs Brisbane; 60% defensive half vs Adelaide) and I think it's really helped with his composure by foot, just being able to see the game in front of him rather than trying to get a clearing kick from congestion.

But I also think he's what we need on the inside. It was obvious yesterday we lacked a mid who had awareness and clean ball use from the inside of the contest. Florent could provide that, but the question is does going back on the inside then compromise the composure he's developed? I wonder if we're testing that and plan to move him back in the guts as the year progresses...

There has definitely been improvement in his kicking so far this year. No doubt he has been working on it. Maybe not kicking around his body quite so much? Or as you say, finding himself in a bit more space. His first 2 games have been solid and hopefully he'll keep building on that to have a consistent season.

What do you the think the chances are that he was under greater pressure last year, in a less skilled and slower team, which had an impact on his ball movement? Now the ball is getting to him quicker, so he has a second or two more, and his disposal is better?

For the better part of the last 2 years, I didn't think Florent was going to amount to a good footballer. He had lost his zip, was a turnover machine, but over the preseason, he's completely turned it around.

No one can catch him, gets the ball to the outside, and his kicks are laser darts. Whoever is his kicking coach deserves a pay rise, the transformation is incredible.

Oliver Florent - who crawled through a river of s**t and came out clean on the other side.

The O-Flo Redemption... in theaters all year long.

What do you the think the chances are that he was under greater pressure last year, in a less skilled and slower team, which had an impact on his ball movement? Now the ball is getting to him quicker, so he has a second or two more, and his disposal is better?
Also, he has players to kick to this year. The Swans are using the whole field, so there are plenty of players open. All he has to do is choose one and kick.

I've always defended Ollie from the criticism on this board but more for his workrate and willingness to take the game on. Hasnt always paid off (as so many also remarked) but I'm still in the amazing workrate category. He can be found on the last line of defence in our goal square and then a minute later inside the attacking 50. His willingness to be involved is incredible. There was a play last week against the crows where he was deep in our defensive 50 had a kick smothered and was tackled to the ground got up, got the next possession cleared the ball, where it was won outside the defensive 50 and he ran to receive the handball past the centre circle and delivered a lace out pass.

now even if he'd missed that pass that was an amazing effort given the being knocked over and then running 100 metres to be delivering the inside 50 kick.

He's been very very very good these three games.

So he learned how to kick over Summer. Good for him.
I just think he was asked to play a different role last year at times as we were seriously inexperienced due to injury.
But yes, he is a year older so it made him stronger.
We need to stick by our players when things aren't going well. they can all improve.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please trade this hack of a player, I cannot fathom him or his supporters anymore. He is so bloddy overrated its painful. He had 1 great game this year. We will eek out a respectable 8th -12th but we are miles of the pack and will be whilever he is a key role in our midfield.

You’re like a broken record.

24 disposals (50% contested) at 70%, 3 marks, 2 tackles, 8 clearances, 6i50, 3r50, 8 score involvements, 19 pressure acts, 506m gained (2nd on ground behind Dawson who padded his by taking the kick outs).

Was way better than say Warner or Rowbottom but yeah... Florent is the problem.

I'm just tired of him being called classy or silky when he definitely isn't and never has been. At least not by foot, which is the important part for me.

You’re like a broken record.

24 disposals (50% contested) at 70%, 3 marks, 2 tackles, 8 clearances, 6i50, 3r50, 8 score involvements, 19 pressure acts, 506m gained (2nd on ground behind Dawson who padded his by taking the kick outs).

Was way better than say Warner or Rowbottom but yeah... Florent is the problem.
People power got Roos in, I'm believing it can get Florent out.

He has his strengths and weaknesses, just not sure why he is being singled out when our midfield as a whole was poor.

I noticed Florent featured in the Swans bowel-cancer campaign. I always forget that his father passed in his draft year. Such a shame that he never got to see any of his son's footy career, but also it's such a testament to Florent's character that he's so committed to our club despite what would've been pretty difficult circumstances back home in Melbourne!

Always gonna root for Florent to do well because he's a Swan, but especially because of the reasons in the above post ^, but consider me off the bandwagon. It's his fifth year now and he has not improved one bit.

2018 playing on the wing (same as he currently is) he had a run of six consecutive games in the middle part of the season where he had 20+ possessions and earned himself a RS nomination. That was seen as a triumph for Florent after a fairly inconspicuous first season where he was built like a twig. We forgave the 9 out of 10 games that followed it where he had <20 possessions and where he was kinda butchering the ball, because he was young and he'd improve.

Fast forward to this weekend, over 3 years later, and it was his sixth game in a row with <20 possessions and once again littered with too many highly questionable disposals and decision-making.

He's just gone nowhere. He's exactly where he was three years ago and his fancy little sidesteps out of trouble don't have the same magic hold on me that they once did. There have been some outstanding games here and there - his round 1 performance vs Adelaide last year at the feet of Naismith was great to watch, and his clinic by foot vs Richmond at the G this year filled me with hope. But those types of games are the exceptions for him and not the rule. The rest of the journey has been largely defined by waiting for the mediocrity to end.

He's looking more and more like a candy-selling Ryan Clarke.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back