Player Watch #13 Oliver Florent

b3ebc66265ef6bd495af79a6160b9352

Oliver Florent
Young speedster Oliver Florent has become a crucial element of coach John Longmire’s team since the Sydney Swans secured him with their first selection at the 2016 AFL Draft. The Victorian has shown glimpses of exhilarating footy on a wing, most memorably when he jagged a runaway goal in Round 4, 2018 to seal a gripping victory for the Swans over the Bulldogs. But Florent, who’s also spent time on the inside of the contest, is determined to continue to grow his game as a hybrid midfielder in 2020.

Oliver Florent
DOB: 22 July 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #11, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/Mentone Grammar (Vic)/Sandringham U18

What a ripper of a bloke. His dad would be incredibly proud. Congrats on 100 games.

FEATURE: Florent's greatest inspiration…
FEATURE: Florent's greatest inspiration
What a great article, brought a tear to my eye.
I lost my dad at a similar age (albeit a very long time ago) so I can really understand how he feels.
Always admired that he's never played the homesick card and run to a Melbourne club when he really is one of very few that I could really understand doing so.

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Kudos to his mum as well.

Her husband passes away after a battle with cancer and then her eldest son goes interstate, leaving her to raise her youngest son alone.

When Horse et al met Ollie and his mum prior to the draft she fully supported the move if it were to occur.
And as Jewelsbon says neither Ollie or his mum have ever played the homesick card.

Seem like a great family. :thumbsu:

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
Really nice game as a hb today. Just feel really comfortable with the ball in his nad, and he even took a really nice intercept mark. Didn't even notice Zac Baily was playing today.
Interesting matchups. Ollie on Bailey and Rowbottom started on Rich, though he didn't stay there. Bailey was my danger man more than the talls.

Mentioned during week thst he should play of hb
Horse listening

Seemed very natural too, and he does use the ball nicely, we have a million mids, HB suits.

Won't win a Brownlow but could win an AA in defence
I wouldn't be so quick to state this...

He's 23, 24 in July... I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him move back to the middle later in the year or early next year.

I think he's vastly underrated on this board.

So you're saying Brownlow is back on the table? 😂
No, sorry... lol, very badly worded! Just that he may not be permanently in defence... although he is good down there imo.

I'm in the our mids take too many votes off each other to be a brownlow medalist camp, and Ollie would not be the leader in this group!!!

Back