Player Watch #13 Oliver Florent

b3ebc66265ef6bd495af79a6160b9352

Oliver Florent
Young speedster Oliver Florent has become a crucial element of coach John Longmire’s team since the Sydney Swans secured him with their first selection at the 2016 AFL Draft. The Victorian has shown glimpses of exhilarating footy on a wing, most memorably when he jagged a runaway goal in Round 4, 2018 to seal a gripping victory for the Swans over the Bulldogs. But Florent, who’s also spent time on the inside of the contest, is determined to continue to grow his game as a hybrid midfielder in 2020.

Oliver Florent
DOB: 22 July 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #11, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/Mentone Grammar (Vic)/Sandringham U18

To be fair, Florent's upcoming $1.5 million a year contract was always going to make things difficult to bring anyone in

Low balling florent bloody Sydney

Stephenson has him covered up till now imo

He is a gun

Think it's easier for Stephenson to impress. His highlights reel have basically been goals which isn't overly surprising given he plays 10m out.

Still no shame in losing to Stephenson though, Collingwood won big time with that kid

Stephenson all the way for me

Wait till he moves up the field
Need to wait until Collingwood play some good teams to judge stephenson. He's good, but very inconsistent. If he plays against a decent defense he may struggle.

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hey guys sorry to intrude,

I too have Stephenson slightly ahead of Florent in rising star but will be interesting to see the final outcome.

Regardless, Florent looks exceptional and you guys are big winner picking him outside the top 10!

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Who cares. Means nothing. Just want him to develop into an elite player that wins is a flag, am I asking too much?
Means nothing!?! Why the winner of the rising star will be in the same breath as Danyle Pearce, Lewis Taylor & Rhys Palmer! All 3 of those are footballers who played AFL matches......

Who cares. Means nothing. Just want him to develop into an elite player that wins is a flag, am I asking too much?

I had $50 at the start of the year.

Trust me....I care. I care A LOT.

Interesting that both Florent and Hayward weren't our first choice with either pick that year.

We bid on Bowes and Cumming first.

Was more about making gws/ gc pay full value imo

Dont think Sydney would do that, you are betting that they won't call your bluff because if they do then you have damaged your list if you bid on a player you didnt really want...

Would be self-sabotage.

Dont think Sydney would do that, you are betting that they won't call your bluff because if they do then you have damaged your list if you bid on a player you didnt really want...

Would be self-sabotage.
With the 20% discount they were always going to match at those bids. Gold Coast also would have gotten an extra pick if Sydney hadn't bid as they were next pick (11) after the Bowes bid (at 10)

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I didn't realise that Ollie's mentor was Dan Hannebery... He must be doing a pretty good job, 'cause Ollie is coming along in leaps and bounds!
Hes probably slowed down a bit over the past month...but for 3/4 of the season so far,he has been great. Going to be an elite player one day

Hes probably slowed down a bit over the past month...but for 3/4 of the season so far,he has been great. Going to be an elite player one day
Yep, totally agree!

I think part of the reason he has slowed down is the midfield as a whole. Am really looking forward to seeing what impact Dan can make on it, especially on Ollie. Might be able to rejuvenate them just by being there...

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Getting caught with the ball since the Roos game to often

Hopefully lives up to the hype

Much better than last year

That’s a reflection of his team mates around him too, not being in a position to receive the ball, though he has second guessed himself a little recently. Typical for a kid.

Positive is the coaches seem to be asking for him to back himself.

Last edited:
Back