Player Watch #13 Oliver Florent

Remove this Banner Ad

b3ebc66265ef6bd495af79a6160b9352

Oliver Florent
Young speedster Oliver Florent has become a crucial element of coach John Longmire’s team since the Sydney Swans secured him with their first selection at the 2016 AFL Draft. The Victorian has shown glimpses of exhilarating footy on a wing, most memorably when he jagged a runaway goal in Round 4, 2018 to seal a gripping victory for the Swans over the Bulldogs. But Florent, who’s also spent time on the inside of the contest, is determined to continue to grow his game as a hybrid midfielder in 2020.

Oliver Florent
DOB: 22 July 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #11, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/Mentone Grammar (Vic)/Sandringham U18

I'd like Ollie to have a rest at some point so he can end the year strong. Hopefully we make finals & he isn't completely gassed by then.
I'll make sure they give him the week before the finals off ;)

I think its a combination of things with ollie.

-fatigue due to season
-oppoition probably a bit more aware of him now
-getting caught a bit more because i think he has become more brazen with his play as his confidence has grown (not a bad thing).

All in all its been a terrific second season so far. Every indication he is going to be an elite player

Love the look of Florent, I am concerned about his kicking quite a bit though especially kicking inside 50.

That being said, looking at the picks taken between Florent and Hayward we probably picked the right guy. I'm still high on Venables and very very high on English but Florent will be a nice player for a long time.

Love the look of Florent, I am concerned about his kicking quite a bit though especially kicking inside 50.

That being said, looking at the picks taken between Florent and Hayward we probably picked the right guy. I'm still high on Venables and very very high on English but Florent will be a nice player for a long time.

It's funny actually I found his disposal out of defense on the weekend was improved.

Maybe when is is playing forward he doesn't think through the disposal?

Definitely got tired further into the season.

A big preseason and he’ll look great
.. but the he does contribute - like in the third quarter against Demons

The conservative part of my brain is telling me to keep a lid on this kid's prospects in 2019, because his improvement from his first to his second season was stratospheric and it's hard to imagine him improving much more upon that in just his third season.

But the optimistic part of my brain keeps saying, what if he does?

The conservative part of my brain is telling me to keep a lid on this kid's prospects in 2019, because his improvement from his first to his second season was stratospheric and it's hard to imagine him improving much more upon that in just his third season.

Is that like Schrodinger's Florent?

He will.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Florent's inside 50s were crap as was many of his ground kicks in the practice match. Worst effective kicking stats in a decade for a reason. Could be a liability to our team if he doesnt turn it around quickly.
Gee's it was just a practice match of absolutely no importance, if he's still crap after the two pre-season games then worry, but for now, who cares? We've all seen what he can do when needed.

Genuinely shocked a 19-year-old last year playing with our game plan didn't have great efficiency. He'll be fine.

Look at the big name rising stars that topped the efficiency rankings last year:
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2018&rt=RT&st=EP

A few guns there admittedly, but it is also important to take their positions into account. Doedee has efficiency similar to Grundy. Witherden similar to Lloyd. Doesn't mean they are great users of the footy. Would much rather have Ollie than most others towards the top of that list.

I think with Florent the “problem” with his kicking is having balance. He often reaches a little with the ball, putting himself under pressure once he is ready to kick (as the opposition close in on him). He needs to use his run/pace to get himself into a position to kick the ball on first option/opportunity, rather than continue to take on the opposition and be somewhat forced to kick / kick is made ineffective due to pressure he effectively placed on himself. That is decision making as much as anything

That’ll come with experience at the higher level.

At least during the season proper if a kid is shanking it then there is reason for a conversation, but during the first hit out of the season????

The 'we are hopeless' has started early this year...

#blameHorse
#noflairgameplanisntflairyenough
#playersrevolt
#sackthecoach
#hawksrule
#IheartClarko
#bringbacktommy

The 'we are hopeless' has started early this year...

#blameHorse
#noflairgameplanisntflairyenough
#playersrevolt
#sackthecoach
#hawksrule
#IheartClarko
#bringbacktommy
People can support the club however they want.

Remember, we all want the same thing... Success. We just each have different ways of looking at things.

I'm optimistic that we've laid down some strong groundwork for a solid base moving into this season. Lots of kids getting opportunities & games into them the last few seasons - all the while staying top 8 and remaining (for the most part) competitive against the rest of the comp. I'm very bullish about this group... Heeney, Mills, Hewett, Papley, Hayward, Melican, McCartin, Ronke, Florent... There is just so much to work with. So much talent there. And they have all seemingly bought in to our code and our gameplan. The most important thing now in my mind is that the club pushes together in the same direction... The best team will be the 2019 premiers. Flashy innovative gameplan or not... The team that works the best together, cops a bit of luck but more importantly, extracts the absolute most out of it's list will more than likely be the premiers IMO.

I think we are in it with a great shot this year.

Back on topic - I think Florent will be solid this season. His disposal efficiency (I think) says more about his role than his quality. A bit like Jetta or ROK dodging traffic and hoisting it... Florent is drawing pressure before disposal. With more experience he'll better be able to judge that pressure and dispose more efficiently I reckon.

DE is probably the least insightful stat. Particularly in wet conditions where players will take any opportunity to gain territory e.g. ground kicks. Franklin, Kennedy, Parker regularly end up near the bottom in terms of DE and yet always make up a large number of our score involvements.

Florent was up there in terms of turnovers last year, but he also didn't always have a lot of space (our 6th contested ball and clearance player last year behind Kennedy, Parker, Hewett, Heeney and the ruck Sinclair, says a fair bit about our midfield depth last year given he was a skinny teenager). He'd also be delivering the ball to the forward half more often which isn't easy as our structure generally meant the opp had an extra number back.

He could use some improvements in his kicking this year, as with our team in general, and I'm sure he will. But there's no real drastic issue with his skills.

People can support the club however they want.

Remember, we all want the same thing... Success. We just each have different ways of looking at things.

I'm optimistic that we've laid down some strong groundwork for a solid base moving into this season. Lots of kids getting opportunities & games into them the last few seasons - all the while staying top 8 and remaining (for the most part) competitive against the rest of the comp. I'm very bullish about this group... Heeney, Mills, Hewett, Papley, Hayward, Melican, McCartin, Ronke, Florent... There is just so much to work with. So much talent there. And they have all seemingly bought in to our code and our gameplan. The most important thing now in my mind is that the club pushes together in the same direction... The best team will be the 2019 premiers. Flashy innovative gameplan or not... The team that works the best together, cops a bit of luck but more importantly, extracts the absolute most out of it's list will more than likely be the premiers IMO.

I think we are in it with a great shot this year.

Back on topic - I think Florent will be solid this season. His disposal efficiency (I think) says more about his role than his quality. A bit like Jetta or ROK dodging traffic and hoisting it... Florent is drawing pressure before disposal. With more experience he'll better be able to judge that pressure and dispose more efficiently I reckon.

I'm not convinced we all want the same thing.
I don't want Horse to be sacked. For one.

Just sayin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back