Player Watch #13 Oliver Florent

Remove this Banner Ad

b3ebc66265ef6bd495af79a6160b9352

Oliver Florent
Young speedster Oliver Florent has become a crucial element of coach John Longmire’s team since the Sydney Swans secured him with their first selection at the 2016 AFL Draft. The Victorian has shown glimpses of exhilarating footy on a wing, most memorably when he jagged a runaway goal in Round 4, 2018 to seal a gripping victory for the Swans over the Bulldogs. But Florent, who’s also spent time on the inside of the contest, is determined to continue to grow his game as a hybrid midfielder in 2020.

Oliver Florent
DOB: 22 July 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #11, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/Mentone Grammar (Vic)/Sandringham U18

He is one of our most damaging players and good things seem to happen the bulk of the time he goes near it, more so than nearly any other Swan. And that was just his second year. I'm not saying I hold anyone's opinions against them, but in a few years time I will remember those who spoke against Florent and I will charge you double rates to ride the bandwagon ;)

He is one of our most damaging players and good things seem to happen the bulk of the time he goes near it, more so than nearly any other Swan. And that was just his second year. I'm not saying I hold anyone's opinions against them, but in a few years time I will remember those who spoke against Florent and I will charge you double rates to ride the bandwagon ;)

Crikey Caesar you have already cornered the world market on Allir Allie. Now you are taking first dibs on Ollie!

Crikey Caesar you have already cornered the world market on Allir Allie. Now you are taking first dibs on Ollie!

Don't play Monopoly with me. I'll put two hotels on Mayfair and won't accept your surrender payment when you concede and want to finish the game.

Being critical about a players areas of opportunity / development isn’t speaking out against said player....

I have said he needs to work in his kicking in this thread, which I believe isn’t a lack of kicking ability but the position he puts himself in when he does kick the ball.

I am well and truly on the bandwagon and have been since his first couple of games where is talent as a future inside/outside player was clear. But that doesn’t mean you can’t take the rose coloured glasses off and look at things with an open perspective and it does not then automatically make you negative about the players future prospects, nor don’t belong on the bandwagon!

I liked your assessment of Ollie’s kicking woes TheMase
Good analysis.. you back into the coaching up there?

No mate unfortunately not!

With two kids (6 and 3), work, my wife working nights and weekends, I have unfortunately become very time poor!

Just can’t fit it in now unfortunately. :(

One day I would definitely like to do it again, perhaps when the kids are older and hopefully they’ll play, then I could have an opportunity to get back into it.

So much can go wrong with a kicking action. I remember when I was 15 and I was watching a Swans game, and then I realised that my kicking action was all wrong (taught the NSW two handed ball drop). So I sought about changing it myself, which was trying but in the end successful.

When I coached I had a kid that had a horrible action. I knew though that he didn’t have the commitment to do what I did and change his action completely so I had him make some adjustments to the way he moved his hands from side to side (I called it rowing the boat), his ball drop to be directly over his foot (with no side to side movement), staying ‘over the ball’ and kicking ‘through’ the ball.

I was relentless with him, “stop rowing the boat”, “you’re rowing again”.

After that he became an effective kick. It wasn’t great to watch, but I worked with his existing action rather than trying to reinvent it.

At AFL level most players are pretty good kicks when not under pressure. It is when they are placed under pressure that they have to make faster decisions and execute that has some come undone. Some can overcome this, some just don’t have the talent and work within their limitations to become successful (Kirk a great example of that).

Ollie seems to get himself into trouble and create his own pressure to some degree, so I think he will overcome that with experience.

I'm not convinced we all want the same thing.
I don't want Horse to be sacked. For one.

Just sayin.
We all want to win. Ideally a premiership.

If some think we need a new coach to do that then that is their opinion. They aren't wrong for having that opinion nor should they feel like expressing it is wrong or not acceptable on here.

In any event, Florent thread - We are off topic now.

Being critical about a players areas of opportunity / development isn’t speaking out against said player....

I have said he needs to work in his kicking in this thread, which I believe isn’t a lack of kicking ability but the position he puts himself in when he does kick the ball.

I am well and truly on the bandwagon and have been since his first couple of games where is talent as a future inside/outside player was clear. But that doesn’t mean you can’t take the rose coloured glasses off and look at things with an open perspective and it does not then automatically make you negative about the players future prospects, nor don’t belong on the bandwagon!

Referring to him as a liability even though he was in our better half of players last year is speaking out against him. So is producing meaningless stats that single him out above others. Not saying you have done any of this but these are the actions that I’ve seen and found to be cuckoo IMO.

We all want to win. Ideally a premiership.

If some think we need a new coach to do that then that is their opinion. They aren't wrong for having that opinion nor should they feel like expressing it is wrong or not acceptable on here.

In any event, Florent thread - We are off topic now.

My point was that we don't need to all want the same thing. It's OK to agree to disagree isn't it?

Referring to him as a liability even though he was in our better half of players last year is speaking out against him. So is producing meaningless stats that single him out above others. Not saying you have done any of this but these are the actions that I’ve seen and found to be cuckoo IMO.
Fair call, point well made, of all AFL players from all teams whose inside 50 disposal is worse than Florent's for the last decade I think it was from memory I will list them for you below:

Fair call, point well made, of all AFL players from all teams whose inside 50 disposal is worse than Florent's for the last decade I think it was from memory I will list them for you below:

You can continue to recycle this stat all you like. As I said, good things happen nearly every time this kid is involved. I'm sure most on here would agree with that. So who gives a damn about some useless stat from the frauds at Champion Data. They'd probably tell you Buddy Franklin is the most ineffective CHF of all time because he can't take a contested mark to save his life. I would spend less time worrying about what Champion Data is telling you and focus more on just watching the kid play, he's a joy to watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't play Monopoly with me. I'll put two hotels on Mayfair and won't accept your surrender payment when you concede and want to finish the game.

You're the adolf hitler of board games.

You can continue to recycle this stat all you like. As I said, good things happen nearly every time this kid is involved. I'm sure most on here would agree with that. So who gives a damn about some useless stat from the frauds at Champion Data. They'd probably tell you Buddy Franklin is the most ineffective CHF of all time because he can't take a contested mark to save his life. I would spend less time worrying about what Champion Data is telling you and focus more on just watching the kid play, he's a joy to watch.

I watched him play in the trial match how did his disposal go for you?

I think we are needlessly seeing different on that stat. I think we can obtain mutual agreeance if we look at the list of AFL players with more effective inside 50s in the last decade or so than Florent:
1. every single AFL player
2. Kenny

I watched him play in the trial match how did his disposal go for you?

I think we are needlessly seeing different on that stat. I think we can obtain mutual agreeance if we look at the list of AFL players with more effective inside 50s in the last decade or so than Florent:
1. every single AFL player
2. Kenny

Enjoy looking at that list. I'll enjoy watching one of the most talented youngsters in the comp

Think his composure will improve especially when he is in the mids. On the outside he is fine enough but last year he spent more engine room time.

DE is the worst star and not one to drive assessment. My eyes in 2018 told me I preferred the ball in his hands than the Butcher Boys, KJ and Hanners.

Hanners 2.0

His kicking is just bad, hasn't improved one bit. But knows how to get the ball and has good smarts and handball skills, as well as some pace and flash.

Just don't ever want him kicking it really.

Hanners 2.0

His kicking is just bad, hasn't improved one bit. But knows how to get the ball and has good smarts and handball skills, as well as some pace and flash.

Just don't ever want him kicking it really.
* me...sounds like we’re going to have a team of hand ballers...how do we kick a goal?

**** me...sounds like we’re going to have a team of hand ballers...how do we kick a goal?

It does seem strange that in a year where everyone is constantly complaining about our lack of inside 50s that we'd be complaining about the guy leading our inside 50s for the year.

Extraordinary. Last night I saw a bloke who took a big step in terms of effort, will, leadership, and impact on the contest, especially physically.

Today I hear about a bloke that can’t kick.

I wonder whether any of you negative nellies ever found a life partner that met the grade.

Not from me re his kicking. Think he has been a constant positive.

As for the bolded bit, I have found several temporary life partners, thank you very much.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back