Player Watch #13 Oliver Florent

Remove this Banner Ad

b3ebc66265ef6bd495af79a6160b9352

Oliver Florent
Young speedster Oliver Florent has become a crucial element of coach John Longmire’s team since the Sydney Swans secured him with their first selection at the 2016 AFL Draft. The Victorian has shown glimpses of exhilarating footy on a wing, most memorably when he jagged a runaway goal in Round 4, 2018 to seal a gripping victory for the Swans over the Bulldogs. But Florent, who’s also spent time on the inside of the contest, is determined to continue to grow his game as a hybrid midfielder in 2020.

Oliver Florent
DOB: 22 July 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #11, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/Mentone Grammar (Vic)/Sandringham U18

Extraordinary. Last night I saw a bloke who took a big step in terms of effort, will, leadership, and impact on the contest, especially physically.

Today I hear about a bloke that can’t kick.

I wonder whether any of you negative nellies ever found a life partner that met the grade.

I had him in my POTY votes this week.

Doesn't change my observation.

Calling him Hanners 2.0, a multiple All-Australian, is an insult apparently.

It’s not an insult at all, I just don’t see it. I think Florent is a lot more dynamic. He hits each contest at full pace and then uses that pace to burst away with the ball. Hanners didn’t have that speed and relied pretty much purely on his elite hands and vision to get it out.

I think a more accurate comparison would be Jetta. Florent is playing almost the exact same role as Jetta was around 2013/2014, just without the elite kicking, which I think Florent could improve once he gets more experienced.

The thing that I've noticed about Florent that sets him apart from others is that he always seems to have a bit more space and time to make a better decision with his disposal. Part of that is his physical speed, but the other bigger part is his awareness of what's around him. That's a trait that you're either blessed with or your not and as he develops at this level, I get the feeling it will become even more pronounced.

The thing that I've noticed about Florent that sets him apart from others is that he always seems to have a bit more space and time to make a better decision with his disposal. Part of that is his physical speed, but the other bigger part is his awareness of what's around him. That's a trait that you're either blessed with or your not and as he develops at this level, I get the feeling it will become even more pronounced.

Hewett's got it too. They can make time and space for themselves really effectively.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he kicks under pressure a bit

different player when inside versus outside

he will be fine
Not having a go at you specifically here, but it's amazing the different points of view posters on here have about the same deficiency depending on which player they're talking about. While he's been impressive in patches (and consistency will definitely come with time), he out needs to concentrate on his kicking skills.

Not having a go at you specifically here, but it's amazing the different points of view posters on here have about the same deficiency depending on which player they're talking about. While he's been impressive in patches (and consistency will definitely come with time), he out needs to concentrate on his kicking skills.

I agree he has a lot to work on thats for sure

butchered it tonight

I think Florent is a creative kick. I remember a lot of lovely passes into the forward line to find Franklin etc. He seems like an instinctive player who can burst through the middle or do something brilliant. Whilst also being comfortable around the contest tackling or picking up loose balls.

But sometimes he is unreliable with his kicking and handpassing and will screw it up.

I never agreed with people of BF who were initially comparing him to McVeigh on the half back line as a reliable user of the ball. But I think it is an overreaction to label his kicking as "shocking".

whys every sports person have to be the new version of someone else :p

Fun fact: In Football Manager, if you play long enough (20+ seasons) of managing a club, the game will start to 'regen' players. Since there's only x number of 'elite' world class players, they start to be 'born' again (with different names, country of birth), but with the same attributes, potential and ability.

Not relevant, thought it was interesting.

Hanners 2.0

His kicking is just bad, hasn't improved one bit. But knows how to get the ball and has good smarts and handball skills, as well as some pace and flash.

Just don't ever want him kicking it really.
Hadn't noticed until I read this post, he hasn't hit a single target since :'(

I seem to remember him lacing a few out in his first year though, I reckon he can turn it around.

Sorry to intrude on your board but I would be interested in your thoughts. At the draft four years ago it seemed that the Roos wold pick either Florent or Jy Simpkin. You picked Florent one pick before us, so we got Jy. How is Florent going, what are your thoughts on him. We are real happy with Jy, he has got better each year and now a fully fledged mid and a leader.

Love most everything about him except for his subpar kicking skills which I dont think will ever get better, and maybe his quarter to quarter consistency which will get better over time.

Was excellent in the 2nd quarter of our game this year, really swung all the momentum.

Love most everything about him except for his subpar kicking skills which I dont think will ever get better, and maybe his quarter to quarter consistency which will get better over time.

Was excellent in the 2nd quarter of our game this year, really swung all the momentum.
His kicking is more about decision making than kicking....I reckon as he continues to build up and he has more time when in possession his decision making improves and his kicking along with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back