Player Watch #13 Oliver Florent

b3ebc66265ef6bd495af79a6160b9352

Oliver Florent
Young speedster Oliver Florent has become a crucial element of coach John Longmire’s team since the Sydney Swans secured him with their first selection at the 2016 AFL Draft. The Victorian has shown glimpses of exhilarating footy on a wing, most memorably when he jagged a runaway goal in Round 4, 2018 to seal a gripping victory for the Swans over the Bulldogs. But Florent, who’s also spent time on the inside of the contest, is determined to continue to grow his game as a hybrid midfielder in 2020.

Oliver Florent
DOB: 22 July 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #11, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/Mentone Grammar (Vic)/Sandringham U18

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Sorry to intrude on your board but I would be interested in your thoughts. At the draft four years ago it seemed that the Roos wold pick either Florent or Jy Simpkin. You picked Florent one pick before us, so we got Jy. How is Florent going, what are your thoughts on him. We are real happy with Jy, he has got better each year and now a fully fledged mid and a leader.
Looks ready for a real breakout season. He was a big reason we got back into the game against Adelaide. Really excited about Florent

His kicking is more about decision making than kicking....I reckon as he continues to build up and he has more time when in possession his decision making improves and his kicking along with it.

Not sure I agree with that actually. I've always thought its more his kicks are innacurate because they are wobbly or they hit a target's shins etc.

Not sure I agree with that actually. I've always thought its more his kicks are innacurate because they are wobbly or they hit a target's shins etc.
I agree that they are inaccurate, but I thought more and wobbly or hit shins etc... but I have the wobble, off target and/or not quite strong enough kick was due the lack of time, which i reckon is now perceived rather than reality. I too am looking for that side of his game to step up with the rest this year.

I thought he was great against Adelaide, and a huge part of our response... I loved Hanners (regardless of his 50/50 kicking skills), and now I'm prepared to sit back and watch Florent fill his shoes!

Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I think KB doesn't rate pure footballers and skills, he rates character more important and that hurts in the early picks.

Florent will just be another midfielder you cant hit a target, might create a bit more run and carry and create some options but surely we needed a mid that could kick.

Won't be a bust but will just be another player that can't deliver the last pass into the forward line in the pressure games or under no pressure like most of our mids.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk
2016 version of me, you were right on the money.

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Love most everything about him except for his subpar kicking skills which I dont think will ever get better, and maybe his quarter to quarter consistency which will get better over time.

Was excellent in the 2nd quarter of our game this year, really swung all the momentum.
I don't think it is the kicking skills that are the problem. I think it is judgement and decision making. His kicks look good which shows execution is good. It is just a matter of looking up and judging distance of making the right decision. So often he kicks indiscriminately because he gets out so quickly and does not raise his head to see the options before disposing.

I noticed that about 10 minutes into the match he started to find good options. I think someone had a word to him about the wasted effort of indiscriminate kicking.

On U27 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bear31

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
I don't think it is the kicking skills that are the problem. I think it is judgement and decision making. His kicks look good which shows execution is good. It is just a matter of looking up and judging distance of making the right decision. So often he kicks indiscriminately because he gets out so quickly and does not raise his head to see the options before disposing.

I noticed that about 10 minutes into the match he started to find good options. I think someone had a word to him about the wasted effort of indiscriminate kicking.

On U27 using BigFooty.com mobile app
he is leading the young crop of players that we have. good signs. i look forward to his continual improvement across all of his game. astute pickup

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
The player I'm most looking forward to watching this year is Florent. Holy moly, he was amazing in our only game this year, really showed why we picked him.
I think, if we can have a legit ruck for most of his career, he could be one of the best midfielders ever.

Please note, that is a outlandish hope, and not a serious prediction.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
May need a run in the 2s but with our list where it is I highly doubt it
Let's give the kid a break.
I trust him to come good.
On reflection after the heat of the game, I can't believe that if we kicked 2 of those we missed in the 3rd & didn't have that second quarter lapse when they scored 4 straight in the second while we went scoreless, we nearly pinch it against the so called top of the ladder team.
Having said that, Port aren't winning even an asterisk p'ship this year.

Let's give the kid a break.
I trust him to come good.
On reflection after the heat of the game, I can't believe that if we kicked 2 of those we missed in the 3rd & didn't have that second quarter lapse when they scored 4 straight in the second while we went scoreless, we nearly pinch it against the so called top of the ladder team.
Having said that, Port aren't winning even an asterisk p'ship this year.
He has been poor for weeks now

He shouldn’t get the poor young kid pass, he was taken in 2016

Regardless we wont trade him as our return will be extremely poor compared to what we payed for him.

Also you dont trade a 22yr old promising mid.
I've been one of his defenders, but not sure we can call him a promising mid atm. He was promising at the start of the year. Been pretty poor for a few months now.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
I'm hoping he just needs some more experienced heads around him. I remember watching Mitch Duncan early days. He has become a gun in his own right now & with Danger around him to get the attention, he has exploded with that other midfield group.
I think we are on to something but just about a few years away.

I'm hoping he just needs some more experienced heads around him. I remember watching Mitch Duncan early days. He has become a gun in his own right now & with Danger around him to get the attention, he has exploded with that other midfield group.
I think we are on to something but just about a few years away.
I like that you're optimistic, mate, but I'd say Duncan was ahead at the same age, and he was probably spending less time in the midfield than Florent has this year.

wills2g

Premiership Player
Jun 15, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
really hope he can somehow turn it around

he needs to stop taking such difficult kicks

hes going for long 40-50m passes that even dawson would struggle to hit 9/10

Back