Player Watch #13 Oliver Florent

b3ebc66265ef6bd495af79a6160b9352

Oliver Florent
Young speedster Oliver Florent has become a crucial element of coach John Longmire’s team since the Sydney Swans secured him with their first selection at the 2016 AFL Draft. The Victorian has shown glimpses of exhilarating footy on a wing, most memorably when he jagged a runaway goal in Round 4, 2018 to seal a gripping victory for the Swans over the Bulldogs. But Florent, who’s also spent time on the inside of the contest, is determined to continue to grow his game as a hybrid midfielder in 2020.

Oliver Florent
DOB: 22 July 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #11, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/Mentone Grammar (Vic)/Sandringham U18

tombomb

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Hypothetically, if Hawthorn offered us Mitchell back for Florent - I would say no.

Florent's dramatic improvement suggests he is a potential superstar. He isnt dominating games or anything close to that, but he has skills that you can't teach like speed and elite balance at the contest. He reminded me of Marc Murphy in his draft year, but I feel like he has the potential to have a few more tricks than Murphy ... like contested marking.

Hypothetically, if Hawthorn offered us Mitchell back for Florent - I would say no.

Florent's dramatic improvement suggests he is a potential superstar. He isnt dominating games or anything close to that, but he has skills that you can't teach like speed and elite balance at the contest. He reminded me of Marc Murphy in his draft year, but I feel like he has the potential to have a few more tricks than Murphy ... like contested marking.

Slow plodder that handballs to nobody and kicks up-and-unders for a line breaking player that can hit targets. Pass.

I like Tom but I’d never do that swap

Crucial we keep him. James Hird MKII (as a player).
It's funny you should say that, I had never thought of It, but then an elderly gentleman sitting beside me on Saturday remarked to me that Ollie reminded him in the way he plays of a young James Hird.
Certainly not an insult!!!

Sep 8, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
He's really impressed this year with his poise I believe. He gets caught with the ball every once in a while, but he seems to be finding his way in AFL. He gets into good positions to receive the ball, as well as finding enough of his own. But I think what stands out for me so far this year are his hands. He is very good at getting his hands on the ball, and using it well, especially in close. He seems calm beyond his years...

People here are bagging Mitchell, which I find kind of silly and churlish. Point is, we have Florent now, Horks have Mitchell. Would I swap them, nup, but it's hypothetical. Florent has blossomed this year, and that's due in large part to Mitchell leaving and freeing up space in the side.

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I wasn't much of a fan early on, but that's probably because I'm always too harsh on the new guys in the team. He's absolutely shown me up to be a fool though, as he obviously belongs at AFL level. He's got a pretty critical ability of being able to see ahead in traffic and more often that not makes the right decision.

On another note, I was sitting at the table next to him (and Hayward, Stoddart and another rookie whose name escapes me right now) at a cafe yesterday morning and in person it's even more clear than on TV that they are just boys. It's kinda scary how young they are.

Crucial we keep him. James Hird MKII (as a player).

Yeh I agree.

Has a bit of Daisy Thomas in him as well. When Thomas was in full flight he made Collingwood a contender - this kid will do that for us as well.

ChickenSalt

Debutant
Jun 7, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
I wasn't much of a fan early on, but that's probably because I'm always too harsh on the new guys in the team. He's absolutely shown me up to be a fool though, as he obviously belongs at AFL level. He's got a pretty critical ability of being able to see ahead in traffic and more often that not makes the right decision.

On another note, I was sitting at the table next to him (and Hayward, Stoddart and another rookie whose name escapes me right now) at a cafe yesterday morning and in person it's even more clear than on TV that they are just boys. It's kinda scary how young they are.

I hope you confiscated any gridiron balls they had.

People here are bagging Mitchell, which I find kind of silly and churlish. Point is, we have Florent now, Horks have Mitchell. Would I swap them, nup, but it's hypothetical. Florent has blossomed this year, and that's due in large part to Mitchell leaving and freeing up space in the side.

It's just a bit of banter, to neutralise the it was the worst trade in the history of history narrative as suggested by the Mitchell lovers.

Sep 8, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
It's just a bit of banter, to neutralise the it was the worst trade in the history of history narrative as suggested by the Mitchell lovers.
Sure, but it was two years ago, yet people are still going on about it?

Anyway, Florent has really come on leaps and bounds this year. Shows how much faith the coaches have in him, and what his potential is.

Sure, but it was two years ago, yet people are still going on about it?

Anyway, Florent has really come on leaps and bounds this year. Shows how much faith the coaches have in him, and what his potential is.

Florent is the future, Mitchell is the past. The future looks bright.

willym

Debutant
May 21, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I'm excited about a lot of things with Ollie - but what I'm maybe most excited about is him nailing players with brutal tackles like Heeney does these days, once he bulks up. An underrated part of his game is that, like Heens, Ollie has incredibly good tackling technique. Often when he misses a tackle it's not because he's screwed up the angle or been shimmied, but because he's just not quite strong enough. I reckon in a 2-4 years he'll be beast defensively

To be averaging 15 disposals (his last three have been 20+) is so handy for a player who can break a line and be clever with the footy. If he can get 15-20 or more in most games that is an outstanding second season.
If he does that, he'd have to be a strong contender for the Rising Star, you'd suspect.

Good as he has been, I think Ronke has been better in the past five games (also received a nomination).

Hayward and Florent are often bundled together because they were drafted together as our two highest picks in 2016 and both debuted in the first two rounds of 2017. But I think Ronke should be included in that trio. At the end of the day they’ve all been at the Swans for the same amount of time and Ronke is now just as much a part of the team as the other two are.

These three have me pumped for the future. We have the only teenager in the comp to have kicked over 15 goals (Hayward), a kid some think could be a James Hird in the future (Florent), and another who we know can kick bags of goals as a small forward (Ronke).

Honestly none of em need a Rising Star, I’m happy for them to stay our hidden gems til they feature in our next flag :)

Rising Stars are a nice accolade for the kid, family and Club. I expect Player Managers also like their client to get recognition that can translate into contract discussions.

Back