Traded #13: Orazio Fantasia - Off to Carlton as a delisted free agent, scored a 2 year deal?

Would you take Razzle Dazzle back at the Hangar?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t know if it’s just genetics or a * up with his weights program but Raz has that classic skinny legs, pigeon chest Physique - like a scaled down Brereton. That body type seems very prone to breaking down.

Not sure how but he needs to somehow rebalance his body.

Calf injury. Can't take a trick with the soft tissue stuff.

Marty is a good (better in terms of HBF) replacement.

I'm hoping Orazio's injury is minor and they're being very conservative given the tight programme ahead.

Calf injury. Can't take a trick with the soft tissue stuff.

Marty is a good (better in terms of HBF) replacement.

I'm hoping Orazio's injury is minor and they're being very conservative given the tight programme ahead.
Has any other club had such a bad run with injuries to talented players over such a short period of time?

Gumbleton, Pears, Winderlich, Fantasia Rama, Daniher etc.

Well he won’t be going home at the end of the year, no one is going to give him an extension to move clubs with his recent injury history. Winderlich 2.0, doubt we’ll ever see the best of him (2017 form) again.

Has any other club had such a bad run with injuries to talented players over such a short period of time?

Gumbleton, Pears, Winderlich, Fantasia Rama, Daniher etc.

Probably most clubs, however, we really only take note of our own players. Doesn't make it any less frustrating.

No, I'm just at a point where my patience is done. Raz is a shadow of the player he used to be and we can cover his absence without much pain. Maybe a second-rounder. That'll help us land Eyre/Brand.
Eyre looks likely a 4th round prospect tbh

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Club injury report, MRI confirmed calf strain and out for 3-4 weeks.

Unfortunately I think that just about makes the decision for us.

We just carry too many injury prone players, we do have some depth at small forward and he’s known to have wanted out.

IMO we push for a trade at season’s end and get what we can.

Building up running loads, rejoin main training in a week
Essendon may be boosted by the likely returns of both Cale Hooker and Orazio Fantasia over the next fortnight as they continue their recovery from calf injuries.

Head of medical services David Rundle said the pair would build up their running loads over the next week before reintegrating with the main training group.

“Both Cale and Orazio are doing very well," Rundle said.

"Whilst they both do have calf strains, their pathologies are somewhat different, so they’re being managed differently with their programs. They’ve both commenced running and they’ll need to build their running loads over the next week or so before they rejoin with the main group."

Should have been accomodated with a move last year along with any others that didn't see themselves as part of the solution and future of the club.

Should have been accomodated with a move last year along with any others that didn't see themselves as part of the solution and future of the club.
A bit hard when he never requested a trade.

Why did Heppell have the well reported coffee with him? Genuine question as i wasn't focused on it at the time. I thought it was us desperately talking him into staying - not unlike others.
I don't know, I wasn't there. Maybe they were chatting about whether or not he should stay. Maybe they were chatting about other stuff. But if someone doesn't request a trade and you want to keep them it makes it kinda hard to trade them

I don't know, I wasn't there. Maybe they were chatting about whether or not he should stay. Maybe they were chatting about other stuff. But if someone doesn't request a trade and you want to keep them it makes it kinda hard to trade them
So looked it up. The Clubs talked and somehow couldn't get a deal done - but somehow Port were pissed off over it ??(not us though apparently) - Tim Watson quote -
Watson said the strong leadership feedback for Fantasia would be a surprise for many outside the club.

“I find it interesting with Orazio Fantasia that the players, given the fact that he was … undecided about what we wanted to do – I think he wanted to leave and then didn’t want to leave – but they would still think that he’s committed enough to be in the leadership group. I find that really extraordinary,” Watson told SEN Breakfast on Wednesday morning.

Wanted to go then didn't want to go. Sounds really familiar. We get a lot of these it seems. I don't really follow other clubs. Maybe they all have leaders and top players with the same problem. Maybe it was the thought of the 2 years left on his heavily front ended contract that eventually made him want to stay and honour things? Lucky us.

Last edited:
Hasn't joined group training yet.
Orazio Fantasia is also recovering from a calf injury, but less progressed than Hooker.

“Orazio has been a little bit slower to progress. He did sustain his injury a week after Cale and he’s not at the point yet where he’s available to train with the group.”

Not this week, maybe not next week either.

The club has all but ruled out Cale Hooker and Orazio Fantasia for the match against Richmond, with the pair in the frame to return from calf injuries against Hawthorn next week.

"Orazio had a somewhat slower-than-expected start to his rehabilitation. He's up and going really well at the moment. We don't think he'll play this week, but we'll monitor him closely over the next week or so and see where's he at."

This was reported as minor calf strain. He has now missed 4 weeks, and another 2 likely. This sh!t goes on year after year with this club where players seem to take twice as long as expected to recover from injuries. We continually bring in new fitness people, but nothing changes. Why the f@ck does this only seem to happen at Essendon!

Back