Traded #13: Orazio Fantasia - Off to Carlton as a delisted free agent, scored a 2 year deal?

Would you take Razzle Dazzle back at the Hangar?

• Total voters
1459126_10200290299098954_112594557_n.jpg

Welcome to the Essendon Football Club, Orazio Fantasia!

Height: 176 cm
Weight: 65kg
D/O/B: 14/9/1995
Position: Small forward/Midfielder
Recruited From: Norwood, SA

Key Strengths:
  • Great speed, extremely agile
  • Fantastic goal sense
  • Can run all day
  • Reads the fall of the ball better than most
  • Dat name
  • Looks exactly like OzBomber
Weaknesses:
  • Weighs as much as a toothpick
  • Doesn't get enough of the footy just yet
First things first, what a name!

Orazio was brought to the EFC from Norwood, SA, largely in part to now Assistant Coach, Nathan Bassett. He averaged 15 touches in his U18s venture this year, while averaging 12 in the SANFL. A lightning quick, lightly framed player, Fantasia can offload the ball at top speed with great accuracy, and generally reacts very well to situations. He is extremely dangerous around the big sticks, and, although we're unlikely to see him in the 2014 seniors, he could be a likely sort once he builds up some strength and size.

Video highlights are here.

Aug 28, 2009
Bermuda Triangle
AFL Club
Essendon
From a Mate thats a Die Hard Norwood Fan

Very skilled and quick player, half back, great link player through the midfield from the back, needs to build up a bit but will fit well around the bigger guys at the back at Essendon

Bomber just said he played back for Norwood otherwise he wasnt gonna get a game so its a benefit he has that extra knowledge

The new Licka but the Injuries i hope!

Aug 6, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Reasonably happy with this pick. Marsh, Reynolds, Templeton or Conlon would have been nice but hopefully we can get Reynolds, Templeton and/or Conlon in the rookie draft (how the eff did Collingwood get Marsh at 77? Wasn't he a top 20 chance two weeks ago?). Fantasia looks pretty good and we need a good small forward nearly as much as we need a key forward or ruck in my opinion, and those big guys are easier to pick up in the rookie draft. Bassett would have an idea of what he's capable of, so I'll back his judgement.

hollywood23

Club Legend
May 31, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
Looks classy in the draft video and seems to have some versatility. INteresting that we didn't take Marsh, but this kid has something.

Ashton Agar

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 20, 2013
Test Cricket
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
LIVERPOOL, Sydney FC, Nottm Forest
Welcome Orazio.

Watched his highlight reel. Seems like a clever small forward. A potential bargain.

kleanr

Team Captain
Dec 9, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
surely Disco could have had a laugh and said something like "were aiming to have the best list of names in the league, Orazio will be moving in with Ariel immediately"

interesting early in his highlights reel with the bouncing ball towards goal he chose the no hands jump kick ala Davey.
boy loves a goal and most importantly, can convert!

now go eat a hamburger you part-time pr0n star

jsd09

All Australian
Mar 4, 2009
werribee
AFL Club
Essendon
surely Disco could have had a laugh and said something like "were aiming to have the best list of names in the league, Orazio will be moving in with Ariel immediately"

interesting early in his highlights reel with the bouncing ball towards goal he chose the no hands jump kick ala Davey.
boy loves a goal and most importantly, can convert!

no go eat a hamburger you part-time pr0n star

Hi Kleanr, very good post He does need to go eat a hamburger hey! I liked in his highlights reel when he dodged 3 players ... what are you eating for lunch tomorrow tuna & beans?

Predicted it would be a no name at pick 55.

He's not a no name, was well and truly on the radars for a mid-late ish sort of pick.

Van Unen and Gregory are no names

Bark Maguley

All Australian
Jun 2, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Counter Logic Gaming
great to see oreo's get drafted, once took a speccy on him though

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
I like that we addressed our need for a small forward. I know we all would have liked a fwd/ruck as well but we only need a fwd/ruck for depth whereas we genuinely have a spot in our best 22 for a quality small forward (and certainly will in a few years when he develops and Winderlich/Chapman retire). I loved that first goal in the highlights clip, those kind of instincts tell me we have a guy who knows his way around the forward line. Seems to have good pace and a nice kick as well. I don't mind if he's light, as a small forward he doesn't need to put on that much weight to be able to play AFL.

Also realistically we can't expect to address all our needs in a draft where we were stripped off picks, so I have no problem with how we have played this one out. Our need for a key forward and ruck continues to grow though and if we don't pick up someone promising in the rookie draft then we will be really desperate next year.

Back