FTA-TV 13 Reasons Why

Remove this Banner Ad

Just finished watching. Great show and the best Netflix production I’ve seen (unpopular opinion, but I think it shits over Stranger Things which I found meh and forgettable).

It really had me hooked from the beginning and the cast of no names did a fantastic job. Only knew Hannah Baker was an Aussie when a friend mentioned it, she has a big future.

A few things for the spoiler section.

Was a bit disappointed with how things were wrapped up. I assumed the plot would be tied up into a nice little package but instead there were a lot of loose ends which point to a second season (unnecessary IMO).

I’m assuming the Tony? thing was because he didn’t answer her when she delivered the tapes.

Completely underwhelmed by Clay’s video. The way it was built up, and the way Tony said ‘Yes’ he killed Hannah Baker is completely different to the way I saw it. He reacted exactly anyway a NORMAL guy should in the bedroom. She yelled at him multiple times to get out, it’d be downright creepy Bryce style to hang around and try to reason with her after that.

It was obvious all along that the counselor had a part, completely incompetent.

None of the characters were all that likeable, although I had more time for the blonde dude and Zach than others. Blonde dude seemed genuinely remorseful for what he did and Zach was just a dumb, narcissistic jock who made a few bad decisions. He seemed like a good guy deep down. Clay was kinda annoying.

The last episode with her mum walking into the bathroom is heartbreaking stuff. I know Hannah went through some seriously dark stuff to get to where she did but she effectively ruined her parents’ lives too with what she did that night. Her parents were good people. They might never have found out what happened if unhelpful Yoda didn't grow a conscience.

Anyway top notch show, 9/10.
Agree with Clay's tape it was probs the most bemusing... but I think the creators admitted Hannah also had flaws and didn't want to portray her as perfect

And nearly everybody in that town except Clay is a disgraceful human being but tv dramas are built on awful people and what they do

Just finished watching. Great show and the best Netflix production I’ve seen (unpopular opinion, but I think it shits over Stranger Things which I found meh and forgettable).

It really had me hooked from the beginning and the cast of no names did a fantastic job. Only knew Hannah Baker was an Aussie when a friend mentioned it, she has a big future.

A few things for the spoiler section.

Was a bit disappointed with how things were wrapped up. I assumed the plot would be tied up into a nice little package but instead there were a lot of loose ends which point to a second season (unnecessary IMO).

I’m assuming the Tony? thing was because he didn’t answer her when she delivered the tapes.

Completely underwhelmed by Clay’s video. The way it was built up, and the way Tony said ‘Yes’ he killed Hannah Baker is completely different to the way I saw it. He reacted exactly anyway a NORMAL guy should in the bedroom. She yelled at him multiple times to get out, it’d be downright creepy Bryce style to hang around and try to reason with her after that.

It was obvious all along that the counselor had a part, completely incompetent.

None of the characters were all that likeable, although I had more time for the blonde dude and Zach than others. Blonde dude seemed genuinely remorseful for what he did and Zach was just a dumb, narcissistic jock who made a few bad decisions. He seemed like a good guy deep down. Clay was kinda annoying.

The last episode with her mum walking into the bathroom is heartbreaking stuff. I know Hannah went through some seriously dark stuff to get to where she did but she effectively ruined her parents’ lives too with what she did that night. Her parents were good people. They might never have found out what happened if unhelpful Yoda didn't grow a conscience.

Anyway top notch show, 9/10.

I was a bit underwhelmed by Clay's tape at first as well but the more I think about it the more I like how they did it. They haven't portrayed him as perfect but clearly let you see from Hannah's perspective how the relationship between the 2 of them could cause her to feel how she felt despite Clay not really doing anything wrong. I also loved how they showed the effect the tape had on Clay and the realisation of what he did wrong.

Looking from the perspective of knowing how Clay felt about Hannah and that he wouldn't have done anything near the scale of any of the others on the tapes, in hindsight his tape shouldn't really have been much of a let down.

She does say he doesn't deserve to be on the tapes at the end.

Not sure if it was explained why but..

Why didn't they give the tapes to Bryce, he was the next on the list after Clay

I think it was in ep 12 where Clay says to Tony if the tapes went to "12" then it would end there or something like that. No way Bryce is passing those tapes on.

Going off memory but Hannah wrote the names before recording the tapes didn't she? Maybe the "Tony?" comes after as you say she drops it at his door but would seem like an odd thing to do.

Possibly "Tony?" is a reference to who she was thinking about leaving the tapes to.

But what I didn't quite get was Hannah's and Tony's friendship - there's barely any reference to it in the show but somehow he becomes the one she gives the tapes to. Was it just because he wasn't one of the reasons?

I'm not across the research or correlation between people who are suicidal/depressed and shows like this but I think one of the main messages from the show - that I think does need more awareness - was that we need to be more mindful of how we treat/interact with each other like Clay says at the end. It truly is the little things that can make a big difference. It's poignant that, in isolation, most of the 'reasons' (except ofcourse for the illegal ones), wouldn't otherwise be that big a deal. Ofcourse it all adds up but most of us probably don't realise how much our actions that we probably think isn't a big deal can potentially impact on others.

Just finished, mixed feelings about it I think in the end.
First of all I initially thought the uproar over the suicide scene would probably prove to be over the top but after viewing it I can understand where people are coming from. It was disturbing, hard to watch and unnecessary. It served no purpose to the plot and to some degree I agree with people saying it glamourised the act somewhat, certainly did nothing of the opposite. The final scene when her mother comes in and finds her would have been equally impactful on it's own.
Clay's character was somewhat confusing and a lot of his actions were whatever the plot required of him. His social standing was pretty unclear, continually reacting to every tap without listening to the next one was just stupid when things would obviously be clarified later on. Most of all the build up to his tape was a major let down, so many references to wait for your tape, the worst is yet to come etc. He did absolutely nothing wrong, sure he himself won't believe that but any of the other kids listening to those tapes would think so and Hannah said it herself at the end of it. He obviously stuffed up with Tyler but that had nothing to do with what came before.
Jeff's death was very well done, I got very confused and started rewinding trying to find what I missed when it first came up haha.
Ending was pretty disappointing, looked like it was heading for a pretty cliche we found the bad guy kind of thing and then they through in a few confusing little curveballs and left it there. Unless they are planning for another season it was pretty subpar, and I'm not sure it needed another season.
Courtney is indeed, a piece of s**t.
Alex, Zach and Jessica were all somewhat redeemable I thought.
Overall I enjoyed it, but I don't think it was A+ like a lot of people are saying.

Going off memory but Hannah wrote the names before recording the tapes didn't she? Maybe the "Tony?" comes after as you say she drops it at his door but would seem like an odd thing to do.

Possibly "Tony?" is a reference to who she was thinking about leaving the tapes to.

But what I didn't quite get was Hannah's and Tony's friendship - there's barely any reference to it in the show but somehow he becomes the one she gives the tapes to. Was it just because he wasn't one of the reasons?
[/QUOTE]
Yeah you're probably right actually, and now I think of it I don't think Hannah would have been aware that Tony was hiding from her.

I think the only reference we get is that Tony is the only guy in school 'that doesn't grab her ass'. That, and being the DJ with a fondness of cassette tapes, is the only link I can make.

His character is more than a bit mysterious. There's a theory going around that he only followed Clay around to ensure Clay didn't follow Hannah's path to suicide, but he certainly tests that theory when it comes time to Clay's tape. I mean it's clearly obvious Clay had an infinitesimal role in the suicide, especially compared to Bryce and others, but that didn't stop Tonestar saying Clay was essentially the culprit, then driving him to the top of a cliff! Jesus Tony.

Thought he was very well acted though and an amusing character.

I definitely enjoyed the show, I think this show is more likely to increase than decrease suicides, well in the short term anyway. Hannah basically shows you how its done. An 18 year old just took his life last week in Adelaides western suburbs, who knows if he watched the show but I rarely hear about suicides in Adelaide. I did feel a bit depressed a day after watching the show, not sure why. Think it could be Uni though. Anyway that was pretty rough stuff.

One scientist of some sort said for teenagers to watch this with their parents. We all know that wont happen.

Bryce is clearly the number one campaigner, he just went on with everything it like was nothing.
I have a bit of Sympathy for Justin, it all starts at home. His mother didn't really seem to give a s**t about him. He didn't really have the guts to stand up to Bryce but still, letting him rape Jessica is unforgiving.

One thing I don't understand is why Hannah went to Bryce's last party, knowing she she watched him rape Jessica. Hannah pretty much threw in the towel when Bryce raped her, I can understand why she did nothing.

Another is when the Councillor told her to move on. Seriously? Could't believe that came out has mouth, there's no way any councilor would ever say that, surely.

When Clay said fear of love in the last ep, it pretty much summed up. It could be because he didn't get that at home, especially his dad, so he never learn't.

I definitely enjoyed the show, I think this show is more likely to increase than decrease suicides, well in the short term anyway. Hannah basically shows you how its done. An 18 year old just took his life last week in Adelaides western suburbs, who knows if he watched the show but I rarely hear about suicides in Adelaide. I did feel a bit depressed a day after watching the show, not sure why. Think it could be Uni though. Anyway that was pretty rough stuff.

One scientist of some sort said for teenagers to watch this with their parents. We all know that wont happen.
In Australia About 150 Teenagers take their life each year, and thousands more attempt and don't succeed. Its far more common than people realise, and is deliberately under reported.

The thing that gets me with this show is that it was at this kind of mild level of graphicness maybe like Veronica Mars or Perks of Being a Walflower and then they hit you with a few of the more graphic hardhitting scenes i've seen and it's kind of shocking at the time. I've seen more messed up stuff in movies but it really jumped a few levels in its depiction and I didn't see it coming :eek:

Just wrapped up

Hit my missus pretty hard, as she was in a similar frame of mind just after high school.

Brings a lot to my attention with 2 pre-teen daughters and how hard this time of life can be.

Counsellor was inept and incompetent. Now Alex is on his hands as well...well maybe thats a tad harsh but that is two suicides, at least one complete and one attempted

And we've got a mass shooting waiting to happen with ol' mate Tyler.

Mum & Dad walking into bathroom, ******* shook me. Yep I'll feel that for a few days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Excellent show. Hope they don't spoil it with a second season.

Suggestions it glamourises or is a how-to guide to suicide are ridiculous. The latter has been made utterly redundant by the internet.

'Hannah' will get a Golden Globe nomination out of this. She is destined for Hollywood stardom. 'Clay', however, will be on the lucrative theatre restaurant circuit.

Due to this show triggering so many snowflakes and do-gooders in the media - I thought I'd actually go watch it. Found it to be a good show. 8.5/10

Was there any particular need for the Tony character to be gay, apart from the modern need for cultural and sexual diversity?

I apologise for anyone offended by me asking this...

Might have just been a plot device to get Tony to open up to his boyfriend. If he wasn't gay he wouldn't be questioned about talking to Clay so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent show. Hope they don't spoil it with a second season.

I agree. There's no need.

I just finished watching it and after reading this thread don't really have much else to add. Except the bathroom scene (actually both of them) will stay with me for a long time. So devastating and heart breaking. As a parent they were as hard to watch as anything I've seen on TV.

Season 2 has been confirmed.

I expected there to be another one and thought that they would have been insane not to make a second season given how successful the first was, but it'll definitely be interesting to see what they do with it. 

In a way it rationalises suicide that was my only negative to the show.

I'm sure many a person thinks about suicide and stopping the hurt but you never know what tomorrow might bring- including happiness I'm sure life is completely different now compared to 5?years ago for many in this thread.

it crazy that the biggest killer in males under 30 is suicide there needs to be more awareness.

I watched the show over s month ago and the last 3 episodes are still with me- I'm not sure I would allow teenagers watch that show if I was their parent

2nd season not surprising. Won't add anything and not needed but season 1 popular. Would have preferred netflix not go the commercial route but they do enough right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back