Past #13: Ryan Clarke - officially traded to Sydney in exchange for #61 in 2018 ND - thanks Clarkey

Remove this Banner Ad

He looks like a natural replacement for Dal.

Are there question marks over his disposal efficiency?
Yes. It's not that he's a bad kick per se, it's that right now he lacks the little bit of polish to pull off damaging/ambitious kicks. Even pre-draft the talk was all about his work rate and will to drag his side over the line rather than ball use. Maybe a bit more like a pre-achilles Swallow than a Boomer.

(Swallow's outside game was underrated pre-achilles IMO. Always worked hard to be an option in transition and always had that great acceleration out of congestion even if his top-line speed wasn't elite).

I don't think there's anything wrong with his kicking at all.

It's on par with Cunningtons.

It's his decision making that's impressed me, been 100% spot on, almost like he's played 100 games.

Just needs to learn the "I can't be arsed properly going back and kicking over the man on the mark" move now.

I'd be getting in on the bookies as well, even if we win a couple of finals, the max amount of games he will play will be 10.

Will be a very very short priced RS favourite for next year come the start of next year imo

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/rya...e/news-story/d3fec4444ac98102fafed90e348d09f1

Ryan Clarke has translated his junior ball winning ability to the top level with ease

IT IS not often a debutant runs out alongside a 423-game player.

But when Ryan Clarke received the late call up to replace an ill Nick Dal Santo against West Coast, that’s exactly what happened.

Three weeks later and Clarke looks set to play alongside Brent Harvey in what will be his record-breaking 427th game.

“To think that Boomer was 19 when I was born and how I’m 19 playing alongside him now is pretty special,” Clarke told foxfooty.com.au after North Melbourne’s 40-point win over Collingwood on Friday.

“I’m now playing alongside people I grew up idolising, like Boomer. And then tonight I’m running out to play against champions like Scott Pendlebury, it’s pretty surreal.

“It’s going to be a special week leading up to Boomer’s record-breaking game.”

Not only has Clarke played alongside and against his boyhood idols, but played well. Very well.

An accumulator of the ball in his junior footy days at the Eastern Ranges and Melbourne Grammar, Clarke has had little trouble translating that ability into his three AFL matches.

Indeed, coach Brad Scott said he couldn’t remember a player having such an immediate impact.

“I can’t think of too many players that have come in and had over 70 possessions in their first three games,” he said.

“He’s a really hard working player. He’s a player who we watched play school footy, Vic Metro footy and within the VFL, and he plays the same way regardless.

“We’ve been really pleased with him and I think he’s one of the brightest young players in the competition. He’s got a great future in front of him.”

North Melbourne’s ageing demographic has been at the forefront of the criticism levelled at Scott and his team’s decline since sitting undefeated and atop of the ladder after nine rounds of footy.

Injuries to Shaun Higgins, Ben Jacobs, Mason Wood and Jarrad Waite haven’t helped North’s cause. But it’s the elder statesmen — such as Drew Petrie and Nick Dal Santo — whose form has been sub-par that has drawn the most concern.

The Kangaroos have recruited mature players with an eye to snag a premiership this year or the next. But its ageing stars, perhaps with the exception of the evergreen Harvey, have begun to fade.

Yet one of the silver linings to the Kangaroos’ run of injuries has been the blooding of young talent, such as Clarke. He hasn’t missed a beat since playing the Eagles and racking up nine first-quarter disposals.

If there was any criticism to be levelled, it would be why North Melbourne hadn’t picked Clarke earlier.

Against Collingwood he racked up 27 disposals in a performance that belied his experience. Critically, he stood up late in the game when the Magpies got to within two kicks of the Kangaroos midway through the final term.

After consecutive losses to West Coast and Port Adelaide it was Clarke’s first win in the blue and white and one which he savioured. As per the modern tradition, he was saturated in all the colours of the gatorade rainbow after the match, as he belted out the team song. The first rendition of many, or so Clarke hopes.

“I can’t put into words how I feel,” he said.

“It’s indescribable and just so exciting. But there’s no better feeling than singing with your teammates after a win.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kicking action is an issue, more than his kicking itself as an end product. Just wonder whether its not too late to fix his technique, despite not actually missing that many targets by foot in general play. needs to nail the goal opportunities which have come his way in the past 2 weeks- that would be my only criticism and it is a very minor one.

His brother is a beauty as well, but may go around the same pick or slightly earlier. We'd probably have to move our second round pick up.

Would be good to team them up, his brother is slightly more inside, but a good accumulator as well.

Kicking action is an issue, more than his kicking itself as an end product. Just wonder whether its not too late to fix his technique, despite not actually missing that many targets by foot in general play. needs to nail the goal opportunities which have come his way in the past 2 weeks- that would be my only criticism and it is a very minor one.
I heard Jason Dunstall talk about kicking action once before. He was pretty adamant that once your natural action became set, the only alterations should be tweaks and not necessarily a complete breakdown. Things such as ball drop, run and balance, repetition, etc.

Michael Barlow had 84 (34, 33,17), at an average of 28 after his first 3 games in 2010, which was an average he maintained until he had that horrific broken leg after only 13 games. Barlow was a 'mature' recruit though, being already 23 years old, but he is the best I can recall as somebody coming straight in.

Clarke is on 70 at an average of 23, which is impressive. I am not sure regarding kids coming through from U'18's, but the 'Vested Years' would have ruled out any from the previous few years I would have thought - However, Ollie Wines had 68 after his first three games in 2013..
ta

Remove this Banner Ad

Back