Past #13: Ryan Clarke - officially traded to Sydney in exchange for #61 in 2018 ND - thanks Clarkey

Remove this Banner Ad

What was his TOG% tonight? I know that we're easing him into AFL footy but he seems like the type who builds up momentum through his repeat running and contest attendance. I imagine he's not used to spending so much time on the bench with the associated breaks in his momentum.

What was his TOG% tonight? I know that we're easing him into AFL footy but he seems like the type who builds up momentum through his repeat running and contest attendance. I imagine he's not used to spending so much time on the bench with the associated breaks in his momentum.
77%

I guess that's probably similar to most of our inside mids, but he Clarke would be aerobically better than most of them anyway. Even now I wouldn't mind seeing him spend a bit more time on ground. Do you know what Gibsons is by comparison?

I guess that's probably similar to most of our inside mids, but he Clarke would be aerobically better than most of them anyway. Even now I wouldn't mind seeing him spend a bit more time on ground. Do you know what Gibsons is by comparison?
86%

s**t apparently compared to the new second coming.

Haha like many I get frustrated by some of his errors but I've never been in the 'Out: Gibson' camp and I probably never will be. Did you get to watch any of the game B4B?
Saw everything except the last 5 minutes.

Some poor skills by both sides, but alot of turnovers were from the amount of pressure on the players. Looked to be a fast game and more mature bodies lasted longer.

I must say the young kids in Dumont, Brown, Clarke and Anderson are coming along nicely.

Compared to Richmond, I think we are going to be fine for quite a few more years, especially when you have the same amount of talent in Garner, Wood and LMac still to return.

Injuries have been devastating this year imo, but there have been no thrashings. The futre looks bright to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most will agree that he is one of our best young players, and with his playing style he will be all the more important next season given our dearth of outside types who run well and can rack up the pill. There seems to be a bit of pressure placed on his shoulders for these reasons, so...

But what are some realistic expectations for Clarkey next year?

Would something like 15-18 games and something like a top 5 finish in the rising star be asking too much? Or is it enough for him to play a handful of games and find his feet at AFL level?

Most will agree that he is one of our best young players, and with his playing style he will be all the more important next season given our dearth of outside types who run well and can rack up the pill. There seems to be a bit of pressure placed on his shoulders for these reasons, so...

But what are some realistic expectations for Clarkey next year?

Would something like 15-18 games and something like a top 5 finish in the rising star be asking too much? Or is it enough for him to play a handful of games and find his feet at AFL level?
2017: 15 games, 23 touches p/game, 15 goals.
2018: 22 games, 26 touches p/game, 25 goals.
2019: 25 games, 30 touches p/game, 35 goals, Norm Smith, Chas and Premiership player.

He's capable.

I wasn't really into this guy at the draft - NOTHING SPECIAL at all I thought.

Then I saw him (and the other draftees) in the utah videos.

The face on him, in every shot, was like this intense fury. Everyone else was joking about, half mucking around, but this guy was just on it.

There is the eye of the tiger in this one, and I wont be surprised if he blows us all away over the next few years.

The face on him, in every shot, was like this intense fury. Everyone else was joking about, half mucking around, but this guy was just on it.

There is the eye of the tiger in this one, and I wont be surprised if he blows us all away over the next few years.
You just can't teach that thirst for success, and Clarkey has it and then some. I remember reading about him last year playing for Oakleigh in the TAC cup and he was a solid citizen, nothing too special in the home and away. They made finals but finished around the bottom half of the eight, and no-one really expected them to go far, but Clarkey took his game to another level completely in the finals, averaged about 35 possies and 3 goals a game and basically single-handedly dragged them into a grand final. That's why I was so ***** stoked we picked him up, he has the mental strength, desire and passion that sometimes seems lacking in our team, and that's also why I am genuinely convinced that in 2-3 years time he will be a star of the competition and in our top 3 players. He just has that extra something that sets the elite players apart from the rest of the game, and I can't wait to see where it takes him in the years to come.

When I watched the introductions (of the draftees); I was amazed at how mature and the professional he came across and was a clear stand out. No doubt he will get the very best out of himself. That doesnt mean he will be great but he will give himself every opportunity to reach his best, and whatever that may be is remain to be seen. So far a big tick and I love the way he goes about it with great dedication and determination. I hope that can reflect onto the other young players and that he can set the standard.

*goes back to lurking*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back