Past #13: Ryan Clarke - officially traded to Sydney in exchange for #61 in 2018 ND - thanks Clarkey

Remove this Banner Ad

Anytime someone says "I really like the way he goes about it" I get a mental image of luke darcy in my head

Something like this?

Smithers_daydreaming.jpg

You just can't teach that thirst for success, and Clarkey has it and then some. I remember reading about him last year playing for Oakleigh in the TAC cup and he was a solid citizen, nothing too special in the home and away. They made finals but finished around the bottom half of the eight, and no-one really expected them to go far, but Clarkey took his game to another level completely in the finals, averaged about 35 possies and 3 goals a game and basically single-handedly dragged them into a grand final. That's why I was so ***** stoked we picked him up, he has the mental strength, desire and passion that sometimes seems lacking in our team, and that's also why I am genuinely convinced that in 2-3 years time he will be a star of the competition and in our top 3 players. He just has that extra something that sets the elite players apart from the rest of the game, and I can't wait to see where it takes him in the years to come.
Sooner we get him in the leadership group then the better I reckon.......we need someone from the lower rungs of the status ladder to rattle the cage and challenge some of the older heads now.

Sooner we get him in the leadership group then the better I reckon.......we need someone from the lower rungs of the status ladder to rattle the cage and challenge some of the older heads now.
I didnt know much about him but in his first interview on the North youtube channel he came across extremely mature for his age and just had this hunch tis guy might become something.

Seems very professional and driven. Let it spread like a virus in our group that he can help set a standard in the next wave of playing group.

I don't believe he needs to be in the leadership group to exercise leadership ozzy. Indeed, you want leadership capacity spread throughout the list and inside and outside the formal leadership group. Otherwise the implication is only those in the leadership group provide leadership. I'd hate for NMFC to be a team where that's the case.

I didn't know much about him but in his first interview on the North youtube channel he came across extremely mature for his age and just had this hunch tis guy might become something.

Seems very professional and driven. Let it spread like a virus in our group that he can help set a standard in the next wave of playing group.
Agreed Jindrrk, he seems very professional and driven. That's part of the leadership he provides, through example. If leadership is about influence, then I expect that the first 'circle of influence' is with his fellow 2015 draftees. I'd also expect he'll influence the 2016 draftees who might be inspired by his early impact, and his likely new midfield comrades when they get their hands dirty in the middle.

Agreed Jindrrk, he seems very professional and driven. That's part of the leadership he provides, through example. If leadership is about influence, then I expect that the first 'circle of influence' is with his fellow 2015 draftees. I'd also expect he'll influence the 2016 draftees who might be inspired by his early impact, and his likely new midfield comrades when they get their hands dirty in the middle.

Any danger of him extending his circle of influence to a first round draftee from 2009?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a bet with a mate that Clarke would average at least 75 dream team points and play at least 5 games. Reckon I'm safe?
He will play 12+, and that is being conservative. Dunno about DT points but he will likely average around 20 disposals a game.

He will play 12+, and that is being conservative. Dunno about DT points but he will likely average around 20 disposals a game.
How many tackles is the big question haha

He's only immovable due to being a fat lazy campaigner.

Started my annual replay of the previous season yesterday. Only half way through the Adelaide game but Cunners looked pretty nippy in that game. Watching him then and later in the year only highlights the likelihood of injury significantly impacting him as the year went on. I hold out hope.

You may all now return to your regular scheduled forum.

Started my annual replay of the previous season yesterday. Only half way through the Adelaide game but Cunners looked pretty nippy in that game. Watching him then and later in the year only highlights the likelihood of injury significantly impacting him as the year went on. I hold out hope.

He copped a serious knock in the Geelong game.

He was ratshit after that.

He copped a serious knock in the Geelong game.

He was ratshit after that.

Yep. I thought the same but watching the first game really highlights it. No speedster but he was chasing well and closing down / applying pressure. Hope he's fully fit as he is about to hit his prime with JZ. Put 3-4 quicker, hungry young mids around a core of those two and we can still cause damage.

Yeh one of his best games I have seen him was in that 1st round. He was like a bull in that second half and controlled the game. Then just laboured a bit throughout the year.

No, no, no - you're doing it wrong. Cunners is fat and lazy and complacent and using injury as an excuse. Get rid of.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back