Past #13: Ryan Clarke - officially traded to Sydney in exchange for #61 in 2018 ND - thanks Clarkey

Remove this Banner Ad

Ben Dyer on Clarkey:

"Ryan, I thought was the our most consistent player for the night, he was able to get forward well on occasions and hurt the opposition when we did have the ball and importantly as a midfielder, as a high mid forward, he was able to get up and help us pressure as well, Ryan would be wanting to improve need his hands in close because that’s the one thing tonight that let hm down on occasions but his ability to fight through the tackle and get forward and hurt the opposition was really impressive."

His video - mentions his defensive pressure again.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/video/2017-04-23/vfl-rd-2-clarke-postmatch

Last edited:
Ben Dyer on Clarkey:

"Ryan, I thought was the our most consistent player for the night, he was able to get forward well on occasions and hurt the opposition when we id have the ball and importantly as a midfielder, as a high mid forward, he was able to get up and help us pressure as well, Ryan would be wanting to improve need his hands in close because that’s the one thing tonight that let hm down on occasions but his ability to fight through the tackle and get forward and hurt the opposition was really impressive."

His video - mentions his defensive pressure again.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/video/2017-04-23/vfl-rd-2-clarke-postmatch
Interesting isn't it GR how the coaches pick out an aspect of a player's game for improvement that we supporters may not have noticed? The quick handball out of congestion while being tackled is just a core aspect of midfield work now, given the pressure in there

I like that he is getting goals too. Adding another string to his bow. Proves how much of a gut runner he is by pushing hard to get on the end of a chain of possession. More and more like cousins everyday.

I like that he is getting goals too. Adding another string to his bow. Proves how much of a gut runner he is by pushing hard to get on the end of a chain of possession. More and more like cousins everyday.

Kicked a very nice goal against GWS (in what was otherwise an ordinary performance, TBH).

It's pretty upsetting to think what might have been if he was in the team instead of Swallow on Saturday night. The set shot from 25m - a goal instead of a behind? The OOF - stayed in play in the forward pocket? The kicks to Freo defenders' advantage - one or two to our advantage, just one or two? Can't help thinking we might have done better in a game lost by under a goal ...

Kicked a very nice goal against GWS (in what was otherwise an ordinary performance, TBH).

It's pretty upsetting to think what might have been if he was in the team instead of Swallow on Saturday night. The set shot from 25m - a goal instead of a behind? The OOF - stayed in play in the forward pocket? The kicks to Freo defenders' advantage - one or two to our advantage, just one or two? Can't help thinking we might have done better in a game lost by under a goal ...
And then you woke up.

But then i worry if clarke has the same contested marking ability of swallow. By my calculations swallow is 0 for 2 when it comes to playing deep (1 against freo (the miss) and 1 against geelong when he was 1 vs. 1 with a geelong tall (kick it to space and watch the nibble midfielder burn the taller defender and slot through a goal :drunk:))

Interesting isn't it GR how the coaches pick out an aspect of a player's game for improvement that we supporters may not have noticed? The quick handball out of congestion while being tackled is just a core aspect of midfield work now, given the pressure in there

Could you imagine Brad analysing LT and Swallows game in public..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I would guess coaches spend hours watching what players do over and over again, before at and after each contest and what happens around them. So they can account for everyone's position during every second of every contest. After thats clear in their heads they'd probably start thinking about why what happened happened and then what happens afterwards. Then fit that into providing criticism (positive and negative but always constructive) that players can use to improve their game and fit within team structures and plans.

We watch the game, maybe a replay and a few highlights.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like to see him forward of centre. Seems to be a natural goal kicker, and knows how to get on the end of a chain. Leave Higgo where he is at his most damaging (in the midfield) and put this guy in the pocket.

Hope the S.C give Clarke a few weeks to prove himself considering he was game day emergency last week and played no football.

Great to see him back.

Go and get the Ball and show us what you got buddy.Make sure your not on the Block next week.Time to play in the Seniors and Run Forrest Run.

Ryan, it's time for you to demand your spot now.

Well done son.

Maintain that intensity and things will start to unfold in front of you.

I've said in this thread a few times that I see Clarke as a genuine accumulator of possessions, which is a role this team needs.
Has good physical attributes and sense for the game.
Alot of people on here jerk off to Garner, but Clarke is my man and I think in 2-3 seasons will be amongst the league leaders in certain stats.
Looking forward to seeing 200-250 games from this guy

I've said in this thread a few times that I see Clarke as a genuine accumulator of possessions, which is a role this team needs.
Has good physical attributes and sense for the game.
Alot of people on here jerk off to Garner, but Clarke is my man and I think in 2-3 seasons will be amongst the league leaders in certain stats.
Looking forward to seeing 200-250 games from this guy
Garner, Clarke, Simpkin. Forward trio of destruction.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back