Past #13: Ryan Clarke - officially traded to Sydney in exchange for #61 in 2018 ND - thanks Clarkey

Remove this Banner Ad

Sure, I probably more meant it worried he could get exposed down back. I guess he probably couldn't be worse than Macmillan in that regard

Our defenders get exposed because of our midfield.

Don't mind it, finished off the year very well back there. As long as he isn't being dragged too deep into defence should work well.
Eggzachary.

Half back is the most attacking position on the ground these days, especially if you have a guy who runs hard to create overlap. That leads to Browny being one out, dudes getting free out the back or Wood running into space against his opponent. Flip side is he could get dragged deep by his opponent, thus nullifying his run and exposing weaknesses one on one. Teams set up to prevent that too though.

Look at it this way. In his last 5 games this year Clarke played off half back, He averaged 27.4 touches a game (ranked 1st for North for all of 2017), 3 rebound 50's (6th), 5.2 score involvements (8th), 4.8 intercept possessions (5th) and 312 meters gained (8th). That puts him statistically in our best 8 players. Not bad for a bloke getting used to a new position. If he has played there all year he would have been a shoe-in for the Rising Star.

What he would need to be careful of is getting exposed on the turnover (3.8 turnovers (8th worst)) and running too far ahead of the play, thus exposing those who defend deeper. It is an interesting experiment.

He will be a gold mine in fantasy this year, kid can accumulate.

Obvious queries about whether he can use it well coming out of the back half, but happy to back him. Even if it's just until Murphy can develop in that role.

A bit confused that there isn't a spot for him in our depleted midfield this year..

I still see him moving into the middle going forward.

Look at it this way. In his last 5 games this year Clarke played off half back, He averaged 27.4 touches a game (ranked 1st for North for all of 2017), 3 rebound 50's (6th), 5.2 score involvements (8th), 4.8 intercept possessions (5th) and 312 meters gained (8th). That puts him statistically in our best 8 players. Not bad for a bloke getting used to a new position. If he has played there all year he would have been a shoe-in for the Rising Star.

Oh please! If he'd averaged 27.4 touches a week for the whole season, we still would have been waiting until Round 23 just for a nomination. And we would have been equally disappointed. The morons who vote for this award didn't even know who he is or that he was eligible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He should be on a wing this year replacing Gibbo.

Do not understand why we would want to play him as a defender unless we are still trying to improve his defensive side of his game which is a weakness.

Eggzachary.

Half back is the most attacking position on the ground these days, especially if you have a guy who runs hard to create overlap. That leads to Browny being one out, dudes getting free out the back or Wood running into space against his opponent. Flip side is he could get dragged deep by his opponent, thus nullifying his run and exposing weaknesses one on one. Teams set up to prevent that too though.

What he would need to be careful of is getting exposed on the turnover (3.8 turnovers (8th worst)) and running too far ahead of the play, thus exposing those who defend deeper. It is an interesting experiment.
Alot of people still associate the HBF with Robert Klomp or David Polkinghorne. It's evolved.

If your midfield is doing the right thing it's the most attacking position on the field.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

He should be on a wing this year replacing Gibbo.

Do not understand why we would want to play him as a defender unless we are still trying to improve his defensive side of his game which is a weakness.
You answered your own statement.

In today’s game you can’t survive with no defensive pressure. He needs to add this very important craft to his own game.

Furthermore we have recruited much midfield talent and I would like to see some of them rotating through the middle.

I like the kid and hope his improvement continues on a similar trajectory as last season.

Don't mind the idea as long as Willliams and EVW are in the side to lock down on the smaller/medium types. If they are playing it gives Clarke a bit more freedom to run and create. If we have both McMillan and Clarke trying to play that attacking role they are going to get a serious amount of goals scored on them because ultimately they aren't particularly good defenders

Alot of people still associate the HBF with Robert Klomp or David Polkinghorne. It's evolved.

If your midfield is doing the right thing it's the most attacking position on the field.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Andrew McLeod absolutely changed that position/role 20 years ago.

They are going to try and make him our Sam Docherty.

Get him in your DreamTeam, he's gunna score big.

If you told me this a year ago, I probably would have been so annoyed he wasn't purely in the midfield. But with his running ability, second efforts and ability to link - it's almost a no brainer.

Eggzachary.

Jmac definitely to the wing then?

I think worth persisting with, as you point out his numbers in that position were extremely good. Sometimes I think better to play a guy where he works rather than trying to make him fit where you need someone. This is shaping up to be Clarke's first real established in 22 and play 22 game year. This means Atley 100% stays wing / mid and hopefully means similar for Lmac to be dedicated to mid / utility.

If you told me this a year ago, I probably would have been so annoyed he wasn't purely in the midfield. But with his running ability, second efforts and ability to link - it's almost a no brainer.

Doesn't quite have Boomer's disposal but you can see Clarke regularly doing the back 50 to forward line 2/3 disposal linking runs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back