Player Watch #14: Bachar Houli - Retiring at the end of 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

What a legend he has become. I seriously don't recall anyone turning it around from being a whipping boy like he was early in his career to an absolute star of the team, the way Bachar has. He went to another level in that 2017 Grand Final and the years that followed were superb for him and the club.

Well done on an amazing career, if you have inspired so many and am sure you will continue to do so

Such an inspiring human, let alone what he's done for the Richmond Football Club.

Enjoy retirement Bachar, you've deserved it.

The Richmond ethos of being humble was written with Bachar and Dave Astbury in mind. Not easy to replace these types around a club, open and honest. The biggest change of personal Richmond has seen for a long time, they embody what we have stood for during this resurgence. The young kids have seen it first hand and need to take up the mantle. Tiger for life.

Outstanding footballer, his run and carry was elite, a 70m possession guy that we've sorely missed this year.
Off the field a universally admired leader who does more than anyone to educate and nurture all of us that will only bring us all closer together. Legend.

p.s. once again re Hardwick. Listen to what Bachar says or Caro, Cornes etc?
I think it's taken the speeches of Dave and Bachar to straighten up few, both Tiger supporters and others.
I can feel the warmth coming back.

Great observation re Dimma . Even the great man Houli praises him despite getting the gentle tap . Think about this , the natural human reaction. Would to be either indirectly bag or say nothing . The truth always wins .

Bachar thanks for everything, especially for making druggies supporters squirm every time you took the field .

Respect

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jack or Cotch?
50 50 I did say Cotch ages ago close to the start of the season jack will go on. Club wants him to go on but he feels his body isn't up to it.

Going to miss seeing this bloke streaming down the G, through the guts lacing it out. 3 flags and 2 x runner up in the norm smith. Big game player. And toughed it out in the GF last year after popping his calf in the first quarter.

what a player and what a human being. All the best brother

50 50 I did say Cotch ages ago close to the start of the season jack will go on. Club wants him to go on but he feels his body isn't up to it.

I reckon it's Cotch. There has been a lot of talk about our next captain, more than usual. Also been known Cotch has weighed retirement up several times over the last few years.

I reckon it's Cotch. There has been a lot of talk about our next captain, more than usual. Also been known Cotch has weighed retirement up several times over the last few years.
Yeah, I said 50 50 wasn't going to say it but the sentence would have sufficed. Next season is going to be big so many finishing up hope the drafting is kind to us this season and next.

What an OP!

We needed someone with kicking skills desperately in defence. He fit the bill
Haha I think that OP was more a reflection of my soft spot for Bachar rather than any genuine insight into the player he would become for us.

I don't post here anymore very often but this has hit me pretty hard. Even though you logically knew it was coming and was probably the right call, it was still a gut punch to hear it this morning. It's obvious that he thought he had more in the tank and was tapped on the shoulder, but no surprises that he has accepted it with the grace, class and gratitude that we've come to expect. I've often scoffed at the idea people should be considered role models just because they have a public profile, especially football players. Bachar was always the exception to that for me, someone I genuinely looked up to as a person growing up.

Genuine star on the field in his own right. AA, 3 time premiership player. Almost won two Norms and perhaps even more tellingly played 3 quarters on one leg with a busted calf last year without a word of complaint because he knew we needed a warm body. Absolute warrior. His impact off the field will probably be an even greater legacy, including both his impact on building the culture at Richmond but also as his role as an ambassador for his faith and for the greater multicultural Australian community. He is a credit to the club and we are lucky to have had him. It's great that his presence will be felt at Punt Road for years to come through his academy which I'm glad we have invested in.

Will always be one of my favourite tigers.

Yeah, I said 50 50 wasn't going to say it but the sentence would have sufficed. Next season is going to be big so many finishing up hope the drafting is kind to us this season and next.
Would be a major downer if Cotch’s last game was last week given he is having surgery today on his knee today

Remove this Banner Ad

Back