Player Watch #14: Bachar Houli - Retiring at the end of 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Houli is more than just best 22. He's been easily best 15, probably best 10 for the last few seasons. The tagline of soft has stuck with him since his early career (and probably justifiably so - he was very outside) but his ability to shut down a man and contest in the air is very underrated these days.

He needs to be more consistent for mine.
He's a solid(ish) player who turns it on every now and then.

I don't think he's fringe but I wouldn't be disappointed if someone stood up and demanded his role.

I understand his role, I just think he no longer performs it at a high enough level to be a lock anymore. As a player who as you say needs to be an attacking rebound defender with running flair he doesn't do enough. He averaged 13.4 disposals last year. He had over 20 once and under 10 seven times. They aren't good numbers for a half back. I still expect him to be there round 1 and he probably will play a lot of games, but I don't think he should be considered a lock.
Newy has been junk for a while.

He will become one of the best rebounding defenders in the comp in the next year or two I think, but I would also like to see him have support from the other flank which will take the pressure

We'd be knackered without Houli. Under-rated, but I kinda prefer our players be under-rated than over-rated.

IMO, a premiership-worthy team has 2 excellent HBFs.

Houli isn't quite at the level of Malceski, Enright or Birchall, but he'd be better if there was a second quality HBF on the list. The defensive forward always goes to him, and he has still averaged 20+ disposals every season his been on the list.

Agree with what your saying but I also think the improvement of the
team will see players like Bachar go up a notch as others will. Especially if we can get him a partner in crime on the other HBF....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep good bloke very professional h
Has improved heaps in all areas over the years he try's hard but sorry I beleive we need better to really challenge for a flag at hb IMO not sure houlie has any more improvement left in him

Agree with what your saying but I also think the improvement of the
team will see players like Bachar go up a notch as others will. Especially if we can get him a partner in crime on the other HBF....

Absolutely. I think Houli handles having a defensive forward being sent to him quite well, but when we have another rebounding HBF worth shutting down, I reckon Houli will get off the leash a little more.

Not much discussed, Houli being "tagged". We are bloody predictable out of the backline. Houli gets on the end of a handpass chain and runs with it, or someone kicks a highball for Rance to run onto on the flank/wing. No wonder our rebound was so easy to shutdown at the start of last season when Rance was out.

Absolutely. I think Houli handles having a defensive forward being sent to him quite well, but when we have another rebounding HBF worth shutting down, I reckon Houli will get off the leash a little more.

Not much discussed, Houli being "tagged". We are bloody predictable out of the backline. Houli gets on the end of a handpass chain and runs with it, or someone kicks a highball for Rance to run onto on the flank/wing. No wonder our rebound was so easy to shutdown at the start of last season when Rance was out.

With all of our backs currently, is there someone there who can play a similar role to Bachar? Like Grimes or Rance ? I think grimes has a good turn of speed but how are they over the first 20-30meters ? It's getting so any deficiencies in your team are quickly exploited by opposition coaches as the competition intensifies...

With all of our backs currently, is there someone there who can play a similar role to Bachar? Like Grimes or Rance ? I think grimes has a good turn of speed but how are they over the first 20-30meters ? It's getting so any deficiencies in your team are quickly exploited by opposition coaches as the competition intensifies...

I'd love to see Grimes run with the footy, but I think it's fair to say that's not his natural urge.

Rance does very well on rebounding, and gets a thumbs up from me :thumbsu:

Chaplin, Batchelor and Astbury don't rebound enough, IMO. Chaplin's not likely to start now. Not sure Batch has it in him. Astbury is bloody quick for a big fella, so hopefully, we'll see some Rance-style leads out to the empty wing, looking for the kick out of defence.

Going through our midfield, I don't see many HBF options. Deledio is great in the role, but probably better for the team when he is on the HFF. Martin is a liability behind centre, IMO. Cotchin and Miles need to be near the pill. Ellis is at home on the wing.

So I'm looking for Foley, Vlastuin, Conca or Lennon to give Houli some help. Love to hear if any of those blokes are training with the backs. I assume Lennon is.

Love having Houli at the club. Very good rebounder for us (believe he was second behind AA Rance last season at the club for rebound 50s last season).

IF we were to 'upgrade' him - then we'd have a hell of a pair of rebounders!

Great man, never gets into any trouble/controversy, leader in his community and a role model for young peopl as well bringing 100 or so of the Houli flock to our membership numbers. What's not to like!? :D

I'll be honest, i haven't heard a tiger supporter bag Bachar for a couple of years. We have un-Essendoned him, and he's drug free. A ripping bloke and footballer. He didn't fit into the Essendon culture as he's not a Richard Cranium.

Sent from my iPad using righteous man power.

Some good reports on Lennon and is training with the backman. Lids would have been perfect and I feel we have enough forward attack to keep him back. Also Hunt I would have thought could be a possibility to help out with Houli

He had a small patch last year where he turn the ball over on the rebound... It was about the time the team was in the tip. I can't say I was too happy with him then but outside of this period he has been very good. I think he is the kind of player that will flourish in a better team. Expect him to be treated like a suckling, Birchall, Malceski etc soon.

As for the soft side... I've seen him go pretty hard at some marking contests and his defensive skills have really improved. Griggs the only one who hasn't toughened up enough... That said I thought I saw him do something hard in the nab match.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back