Player Watch #14: Bachar Houli - Retiring at the end of 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no one in the team whose season I’m pleased with more than Houli. He’s been so huge this year and stood up in the Preliminary Finals.

Moreover, he was huge in the Grand Final for the second time and finished in the top 2 only behind Dustin Martin in the Norm Smith voting in both the 2017 and 2019 Grand Finals.

Not only that, but he’s also a genuinely great guy unlike some other good players in the league. Shows that you don’t have to be a flog to be a good player. Well done!

I'm sick of this bloke. He's had 2 chances to win a Norm Smith and he's blown both of them. I'd trade him back to the Bombers for a 3rd-rounder.

Will he get the job today on the Sunday footy shows again, because he's the only guy who won't be nursing the sore head? He put in a lot of work in 2017.......

People expecting this bloke to retire soon could have another thing coming. Has the form, the fitness, the class and the conformation to go 4-5 more seasons I reckon unless something goes wrong. Think Simpson, Bradley, Bartlett, these kind of guys, Houli is along similar lines and should get through past 35 years of age no problem. Is getting better and better, won some really hard physical contests in the finals.

Last edited:
I love Houli but I do feel for him, could have been a dual norm smith medallist if not for a bloke called Dustin Martin.

How good has Houli been for us!

Bad luck Essendon, your loss is our gain!

People expecting this bloke to retire soon could have another thing coming. Has the form, the fitness, the class and the confirmation to go 4-5 more seasons I reckon unless something goes wrong. Think Simpson, Bradley, Bartlett, these kind of guys, Houli is along similar lines and should get through past 35 years of age no problem. Is getting better and better, won some really hard physical contests in the finals.

Yep he is special could play until 40

absolute hero

He was crucial in our prelim win against Geelong, I expect him to pick up the Gary Ayres.

It would be brilliant to see him collect one highly prized award like this but sadly he would have no chance of beating Martin for it. Dustin Smith-Ayres-Brownlow was unanimous best on ground in the GF which should mean he gets 10 votes and goes to 19 and Taranto is the only viable chance to beat him if that happens. Taranto would need 6 votes to tie Dusty most likely and judging by Norm Smith voting that aint happening. Every chance the Houligan moves into second or equal second or third as you might expect he gets 7 or more votes. It might end up something like:

Martin 19
Prestia 14
Taranto 13
Houli 12
Edwards 12

Remove this Banner Ad

Back