Player Watch #14: Bachar Houli - Retiring at the end of 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 26, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
This guy needs some love around here. Constantly lumped in with fringe players like Newman/Grigg/Petterd/Thomas etc just because he is a recycled player. Comments saying we need to replace him to go anywhere are way off the mark for mine. He's by far our best rebounding defender, we'd really struggle to get it out of their without him. He's a good kick, and despite some people preaching he is soft goes whenever it's his turn to. He's rated as one of the elite half-back flankers in the comp by Champion Data. We'd be going pretty well if we were able to replace him and we are nowhere near that stage, we are still looking for someone to partner him! Add onto that what a great person and leader he continues to show us he is he's a lock in our best 22 and rightfully so, probably in our top 10 or so players.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top bloke and very good player.

Never understood people calling him soft - his job is to rebound, not make horizontal spoils. He is prone to making some awful fumbles running out of half back though. If he an eliminate them from his game I'd agree with the elite ranking.

Always been a fan, never had a chance to thrive at the bummers and has made the position his own at the tiges. Also a solid beard and a community role model. Will definitely be (partially) sponsoring him again this year!

Interesting one. He has improved a bit since we got him but I am still haunted by a very weak 1 on 1 against Crameri in 2011 http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...against-essendon/story-e6frf9jf-1226091520091 - you can say move on but every few games I see an effort here or there that is too soft. Elite players don't have those lapses.

he seems a top guy and if he keeps improving could become elite. kicks it 12-13 times a game, i'd like to see him kicking a few more 16-17. Also has 11 goals and 11 behinds past 2 seasons combined. Whilst I know it's just a bonus part of his game, elite players like Malceski at a comparable stage of his career 2007-8 was nailing 75% shots on goal. I'd like to see him finishing a little better.

Overall, bargain basement pick up from Bombers.

Not real comfortable with former captain terrific RFC player for a long time Chris Newman being called a fringe player!!
But I agree re-Houli.
Certainly mean him no disrespect and there's no denying his standing at this club, but the reality is on output he really shouldn't be a lock in our best 22 anymore. Do you think he should play instead of Grimes and Batchelor and co?

Certainly mean him no disrespect and there's no denying his standing at this club, but the reality is on output he really shouldn't be a lock in our best 22 anymore. Do you think he should play instead of Grimes and Batchelor and co?
No I know what you meant and was just being a bit cheeky.
He's no lock anymore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, he definitely is a lock.

This guy needs some love around here. Constantly lumped in with fringe players like Newman/Grigg/Petterd/Thomas etc just because he is a recycled player.
Too may haters amongst our supporters. We need the fringe experienced players until the cubs are ready to take over from them. Hopefully the likes of Lennon, Madonna can force their way into the team and play regularly but still need time. Will need to earn their stripes.

He's by far our best rebounding defender, we'd really struggle to get it out of their without him. He's a good kick, and despite some people preaching he is soft goes whenever it's his turn to. He's rated as one of the elite half-back flankers in the comp by Champion Data. We'd be going pretty well if we were able to replace him and we are nowhere near that stage, we are still looking for someone to partner him! Add onto that what a great person and leader he continues to show us he is he's a lock in our best 22 and rightfully so, probably in our top 10 or so players.
Great for us on and off the field.

I guess you have to understand team structure a little bit more to appreciate his role. Wish we had another that played that role. One of each flank. I am really hoping Batchelor progresses into more of a running/flanker I definitely think he would be good at it. Grimes is not the same sort of player at all. Does not have the attacking running flair to be a rebounding defender. They just always play him third tall. Look at Hawthorn they have Duryea, Suckling and Hodge.

We'd be knackered without Houli. Under-rated, but I kinda prefer our players be under-rated than over-rated.

IMO, a premiership-worthy team has 2 excellent HBFs.

Houli isn't quite at the level of Malceski, Enright or Birchall, but he'd be better if there was a second quality HBF on the list. The defensive forward always goes to him, and he has still averaged 20+ disposals every season his been on the list.

I guess you have to understand team structure a little bit more to appreciate his role. Wish we had another that played that role. One of each flank. I am really hoping Batchelor progresses into more of a running/flanker I definitely think he would be good at it. Grimes is not the same sort of player at all. Does not have the attacking running flair to be a rebounding defender. They just always play him third tall. Look at Hawthorn they have Duryea, Suckling and Hodge.
I understand his role, I just think he no longer performs it at a high enough level to be a lock anymore. As a player who as you say needs to be an attacking rebound defender with running flair he doesn't do enough. He averaged 13.4 disposals last year. He had over 20 once and under 10 seven times. They aren't good numbers for a half back. I still expect him to be there round 1 and he probably will play a lot of games, but I don't think he should be considered a lock.

I understand his role, I just think he no longer performs it at a high enough level to be a lock anymore. As a player who as you say needs to be an attacking rebound defender with running flair he doesn't do enough. He averaged 13.4 disposals last year. He had over 20 once and under 10 seven times. They aren't good numbers for a half back. I still expect him to be there round 1 and he probably will play a lot of games, but I don't think he should be considered a lock.
Are you serious??? He averaged 21.5 disposals last year and has averaged 21.1 throughout his career. Never in a season at Richmond has he averaged under 20 disposals a game. - http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc-richmond-tigers--bachar-houli

Yeah.
I hate the knocks on Houli, especially when he is mentioned as a 'recycled player'.
This is simply not true. James 'melatonin' Hird wanted to keep him on the list when he took over as coach at the end of 2010.
Houli opted to come to us.
Haha, Melatonin is a drug for regulating sleep, I think you mean Melanotan

if i recall Bachar was one of the few shining lights in that dismal finals loss to Port last year. Way better than most of our elite players on the day. I like him, bet he cooks a mean falafel

Remove this Banner Ad

Back