Player Watch #14 Callum Mills (c)

Remove this Banner Ad

Callum_Mills_2017.4.jpg

Callum Mills

Callum Mills is one of the best young players in the AFL. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy graduate won the 2016 AFL Rising Star award and was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in three of his four eligible years. Mills is a small defender with uncompromising courage who’s also capable of shifting through the midfield. The New South Welshman was elevated to Sydney’s leadership group during the 2018 pre-season at the age of just 21, and he’s now a member of a five-man leadership panel alongside co-captains Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, as well as Lance Franklin.

Callum Mills
DOB: 02 April 1997
DEBUT: 2016
DRAFT: #3, 2015 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: North Shore (NSW)

its all opinions of course,
But i think just watching them heeney has class, awareness, skills, just comsistency is the issue. he can play tall, get contested, get outside

kicks quite well generally

mills doesnt display the same skills and footy smarts

no shame in it, just not near him imo

If Heeney gets his consistency right, no one in the comp will be near him.

How would heeney look off the half back flank? He wouldnt be as rated as he is now thats for sure

might actually go ok there

would Rob Peter to pay Paul but would break the lines

mills is a better one on one defender i guess

Heeney has played forward and mid with zero accountability. Mills has played a role he is undersized and never played in his life. Heeney is the better player right now but hes also had it easier than mills

I disagree. Heeney’s been stuffed around with just as much as Mills has. Horse uses Heeney as a Mr Fix It because he’s so talented, to the detriment of his own game.

But i think just watching them heeney has class, awareness, skills, just comsistency is the issue. he can play tall, get contested, get outside

If you can’t see that then your not watching the same players

Agree 100%. On face value, heeney is the much better player. But we need to keep in mind, he has been afforded much more freedom to showcase himself than mills has. Heeney had to develop in the forward line next to buddy. Mills had to develop in defence next to grundy

I finally get where Punts is coming from re Mills. We can’t say one way or the other whether Mills is a great midfielder. He has the potential to be, but it’s just so hard to tell as he is a) playing as a defender, and b) just not playing very well in general.

He needs to prove that he still has those midfield traits that made him such a junior star. He won’t be able to prove it by just being swung into the guts at the start of a match. He has to unlearn some of the things he’s developed to be a defender, and he needs to rediscover the things that made him a good midfielder. He can’t be going through this learning curve in the senior side. He’ll get nowhere.

Needs a solid block of games plying his trade as a midfielder in the reserves. It’s the only way he’s ever going to be able to prove whether he’s meant to be a midfielder or not.

I don't think he has the opportunity to prove it under Longmire. Longmire is stifling our players development.

Id rather be played out of position as a forward than a defender.. a poor kick as forward means a missed goal or opposition turnover deep in defence..a blue in defence means conceding a goal

Agree 100%. On face value, heeney is the much better player. But we need to keep in mind, he has been afforded much more freedom to showcase himself than mills has. Heeney had to develop in the forward line next to buddy. Mills had to develop in defence next to grundy

quite possibly

and he seems forever compared to heeney, lets put that aside imo

mills has stagnated thats the main issue, lost confidence maybe, but can you teach footy smarts?

Id rather be played out of position as a forward than a defender.. a poor kick as forward means a missed goal or opposition turnover deep in defence..a blue in defence means conceding a goal
Much easier to play behind the ball and chase an opponent. Anyone with good footy knowledge would agree. See aliir

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would heeney be andrew mcleod at half back?? We would be saying the same thing to heeney of the roles were reversed

will have to disagree mate as heeney looks capable of being elite skills wise, Mills no imo, skills arent even comparable

nothing to do with position, just watch individual passages of play, mills decision making is awful, he is never afraid of a contest which is great, but he is lost with the ball and unaware at times, and seems to butcher it a lot lately

Much easier to play behind the ball and chase an opponent. Anyone with good footy knowledge would agree. See aliir
If buddy was drafted to sydney under longmire, strong chance he would have been a key defender and delisted by now...not a top 5 goal kicker in history...positions are everything

will have to disagree mate as heeney looks capable of being elite skills wise, Mills no imo, skills arent even comparable

nothing to do with position, just watch individual passages of play, mills decision making is awful, he is never afraid of a contest which is great, but he is lost with the ball and unaware at times, and seems to butcher it a lot lately
Everyone entitled to opinions.. for me i wanna see mills play the role that got him to the afl.. hes a better player than jones and everyone raving about him this year

Thats actually a scary thought..imagine if longmire drafted buddy...what would his career look like?

Buddy would be a little safer as he could really only play one position. It is the players that Longmire can play in multiple positions that Longmire stuffs around, especially if that player starts out as a midfielder.

Short of Florent, I can't think of many midfielders we have drafted in recent years that we have actually played in the midfield. Even Mitchell was forced to be a tagger for years.

quite possibly

and he seems forever compared to heeney, lets put that aside imo

mills has stagnated thats the main issue, lost confidence maybe, but can you teach footy smarts?

It's seems very much a confidence thing with Mills. It will turn. The guy missed most of last season & suddenly there is a significant change in our list down back & midfield where he has been expected to carry a bigger load than perhaps he can cope with at this stage.
Let's give th guy some time now that we have accepted we are struggling as a team. I'm sure the senior players & coaches have addressed this realisation that our youngsters need some game time now without the emphasis on "we must win to stay alive for finals". Mills will one day be back up where he belongs. You don't lose it forever & no doubt he had composure & courage a few years ago as an 18 YO. He'll find it again.

Everyone entitled to opinions.. for me i wanna see mills play the role that got him to the afl.. hes a better player than jones and everyone raving about him this year

agree mate re opinions, good to debate, not saying im right, who knows, i just dont see it re heeneh v mills

mills v jones is a closer debate

It's seems very much a confidence thing with Mills. It will turn. The guy missed most of last season & suddenly there is a significant change in our list down back & midfield where he has been expected to carry a bigger load than perhaps he can cope with at this stage.
Let's give th guy some time now that we have accepted we are struggling as a team. I'm sure the senior players & coaches have addressed this realisation that our youngsters need some game time now without the emphasis on "we must win to stay alive for finals". Mills will one day be back up where he belongs. You don't lose it forever & no doubt he had composure & courage a few years ago as an 18 YO. He'll find it again.

agree

i think it's just unreasonable even unfair to compare him to heeney that's all

Remove this Banner Ad

Back