Player Watch #14 Callum Mills (c)

Remove this Banner Ad

Callum_Mills_2017.4.jpg

Callum Mills

Callum Mills is one of the best young players in the AFL. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy graduate won the 2016 AFL Rising Star award and was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in three of his four eligible years. Mills is a small defender with uncompromising courage who’s also capable of shifting through the midfield. The New South Welshman was elevated to Sydney’s leadership group during the 2018 pre-season at the age of just 21, and he’s now a member of a five-man leadership panel alongside co-captains Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, as well as Lance Franklin.

Callum Mills
DOB: 02 April 1997
DEBUT: 2016
DRAFT: #3, 2015 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: North Shore (NSW)

What are we waiting for? If he's apparently going to be a semi-decent midfielder than he should be playing in there, right now. AFL standard Half-backs are way easier to find than AFL standard mids.
We can replace his current ok-average output at half-back, if he's this meant to be a 'gun' mid we don't have a substitute for that...so it's pretty clear where he should be playing.

If he was one of the best half backs in the league there might be some justification for Longmire to leave him in the backline, but he wouldn't even be in the top 20 in the league.

Our midfield is poor, Kennedy and Parker need some help, try him in the midfield FFS

If he was one of the best half backs in the league there might be some justification for Longmire to leave him in the backline, but he wouldn't even be in the top 20 in the league.

Our midfield is poor, Kennedy and Parker need some help, try him in the midfield FFS

Exactly. Meanwhile, Hopper and Taranto killing it in the midfield for GWS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When he first came in to the side, hb was the only spot for him. His development has stalled and needs to be put in the middle as much as possible. With Jones now showing a bit that means Kennedy or Parker need to spend lees time there. Who gets tapped?

When he first came in to the side, hb was the only spot for him. His development has stalled and needs to be put in the middle as much as possible. With Jones now showing a bit that means Kennedy or Parker need to spend lees time there. Who gets tapped?

In his current form and fitness.

Parker.

It’s ******** laughable that we would match a pick 3 for an elite junior mid and 4 years later no closer to playing as a mid.

I agree that I would prefer to see Mill's played in the midfield, but there is a shortage of rebounding defenders in our side right now.

- Ideally we would have Rampe as that third tall/ rebounding defender but Melican is out of form and Grundy is injured.
- Thurlow hasn't shown great form in recent matches
- The match committee aren't confident in COR and McVeigh is injured.
- Smith has been injured and would help with a lock down role
- Jones has been moved to the midfield
- Mill's missed nearly the entirely of last year and is still regaining his touch.

Ideally I think the coaching staff would have liked for Ling to be playing this role or for Melican and Grundy to be in the side with Rampe and Aliir as intercept/ rebound defenders but our hand has been forced a little.

I agree that I would prefer to see Mill's played in the midfield, but there is a shortage of rebounding defenders in our side right now.

- Ideally we would have Rampe as that third tall/ rebounding defender but Melican is out of form and Grundy is injured.
- Mill's missed nearly the entirely of last year and is still regaining his touch.

Ideally I think the coaching staff would have liked for Ling to be playing this role or for Melican and Grundy to be in the side with Rampe and Aliir as intercept/ rebound defenders but our hand has been forced a little.

I really don’t see Mills as a rebounding defender though. He takes one or two intercept marks and a few intercepting spoils a game - not enough to be considered an intercepting defender. He is not quick, nor does he provide any real run or drive out of defence - not enough to be considered a rebounding defender. And he doesn’t have the strength or size to be totally reliable in one on one contests - not enough to be considered a key defender.

So he’s just in this weird limbo where he’s winning a decent amount of the ball but doing nothing with it, and mostly uncontested balls, so not even playing to the strengths that appealed to us enough to match a bid at pick 3. I’m sorry but IMO no matter which angle you try to look at it from, it makes no sense at all for Mills to still be in the back line.

I really don’t see Mills as a rebounding defender though. He takes one or two intercept marks and a few intercepting spoils a game - not enough to be considered an intercepting defender. He is not quick, nor does he provide any real run or drive out of defence - not enough to be considered a rebounding defender. And he doesn’t have the strength or size to be totally reliable in one on one contests - not enough to be considered a key defender.

So he’s just in this weird limbo where he’s winning a decent amount of the ball but doing nothing with it, and mostly uncontested balls, so not even playing to the strengths that appealed to us enough to match a bid at pick 3. I’m sorry but IMO no matter which angle you try to look at it from, it makes no sense at all for Mills to still be in the back line.

I agree that I would rather him in the midfield, but could you then explain how you would line our defense up this week with the players that are out?

The other option I could think of is Reid in defense, but that will then require Heeney being a full time forward.

I agree that I would rather him in the midfield, but could you then explain how you would line our defense up this week with the players that are out?

The other option I could think of is Reid in defense, but that will then require Heeney being a full time forward.

bring mellican back and play rampe as a 4th tall/running player

Allir Mellican Reid or mccartin, Rampe and then 2 whoever- guess leave Lloyd there and s**t play ronke there for some pace i dont know

Then Ruckman and 5 mids Mills, Heeney, Parker, Kennedy, Hewett?

Its doable

Rampe has not offered rebound for three years. Needs a new coach or trade. Not worth the coin he is getting at the moment.

Rampe has not offered rebound for three years. Needs a new coach or trade. Not worth the coin he is getting at the moment.

Rampe Parker Reid Jack Kennedy, a few who are probably paid well for output they arent currently giving

Remove this Banner Ad

Back