Player Watch #14 Callum Mills (c)

Remove this Banner Ad

Callum_Mills_2017.4.jpg

Callum Mills

Callum Mills is one of the best young players in the AFL. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy graduate won the 2016 AFL Rising Star award and was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in three of his four eligible years. Mills is a small defender with uncompromising courage who’s also capable of shifting through the midfield. The New South Welshman was elevated to Sydney’s leadership group during the 2018 pre-season at the age of just 21, and he’s now a member of a five-man leadership panel alongside co-captains Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, as well as Lance Franklin.

Callum Mills
DOB: 02 April 1997
DEBUT: 2016
DRAFT: #3, 2015 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: North Shore (NSW)

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
bring mellican back and play rampe as a 4th tall/running player

Allir Mellican Reid or mccartin, Rampe and then 2 whoever- guess leave Lloyd there and s**t play ronke there for some pace i dont know

Then Ruckman and 5 mids Mills, Heeney, Parker, Kennedy, Hewett?

Its doable
We could scrap Hewett, his form is way down.

But to answer your question, the Hawks haven't developed many players over the last 5 years so not very well. We've got a much better strike rate of developing players of late

Interesting exercise I guess
Who have we developed?

Who have they developed

Makes dumb decisions with the ball, reads the play well and can take a good mark for his size

But even under minimal pressure he is making dumb mistakes imo

Can’t seem to play with awareness 360 degrees if he sees what’s in front he will get run down at times

If he sees a player behind will make a silly turnover

Not a smart player imo but can you fix that ? Has skills and ability to be a good player obviously

Just my view but I think he won’t get any better but another club would believe he could and might pay a fair bit , has currency

Worse case he is a solid swans career player but he won’t ever be the star we hoped for

Again just my view but I haven’t seen the progression like I have with say a Heeney

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Heeney always had that X factor about him, Mills less flashy but a genuine A grade midfielder a prolific ball winner in the juniors.

Any other team in 2016 he would of been slotted straight in the midfield however at the time we had the best midfield in the game Hanners, Kennedy, Mitchell, Jack, Parker all in their prime and the first 3 averaging over 30 disposals a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heeney always had that X factor about him, Mills less flashy but a genuine A grade midfielder a prolific ball winner in the juniors.

Any other team in 2016 he would of been slotted straight in the midfield however at the time we had the best midfield in the game Hanners, Kennedy, Mitchell, Jack, Parker all in their prime and the first 3 averaging over 30 disposals a game.
Which elite players did he go against when he was elite junior mid because I thought he was injured during the tac cup?

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Which elite players did he go against when he was elite junior mid because I thought he was injured during the tac cup?

Mills put his runs on the board last year as a bottom-aged prospect, when he starred for New South Wales-ACT at the under-18 championships and was rewarded with selection in the All Australian team.

But it said something about Mills' qualities: he is hell-bent on winning and is ready to match up against senior opposition. Last year he gathered 40 disposals in a NEAFL game for the Swans reserves team as a 17-year-old.

Mills put his runs on the board last year as a bottom-aged prospect, when he starred for New South Wales-ACT at the under-18 championships and was rewarded with selection in the All Australian team.

But it said something about Mills' qualities: he is hell-bent on winning and is ready to match up against senior opposition. Last year he gathered 40 disposals in a NEAFL game for the Swans reserves team as a 17-year-old.
Yer like I thought didn’t go against the best in the tac cause he didn’t play so who knows were he rated as a mid.

Definitely overrated

ashep

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
I'm a Mills defender but it's incredible the amount of niggle he gets himself caught up in. And not in the Papley, smarmy prick getting under the opponent's skin sort of way, but more of a "I'm just going to thump my opponent in the back over and over again" fashion.

Comes across as extremely obnoxious and I reckon he's getting inside his own head.

You have such a personal hatred of Mills. It is right up there with how Bedford used to blame McVeigh for any problem 10 years ago.
Far from it.

I like him , courageous and good reader of the play when he plays behind the ball.

Atm with his form and it’s not just this year , he wasn’t much in 17 either.he wouldn’t get a most clubs and is hugely overrated around here.

He is a plodder that struggles with awareness and people want him in the midfield because it will fix it.

He is not the answer

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Far from it.

I like him , courageous and good reader of the play when he plays behind the ball.

Atm with his form and it’s not just this year , he wasn’t much in 17 either.he wouldn’t get a most clubs and is hugely overrated around here.

He is a plodder that struggles with awareness and people want him in the midfield because it will fix it.

He is not the answer

and yet Mills was rated a better midfielder than Oliver in his draft year.

It would be like if Longmire drafted Papley and refused to play him anywhere other than in the ruck. Papley is forced to play in the ruck and then everyone on this board would be screaming that Papley can't play, that he is a liability to the team. Of course he would be a liability because he is being played in a position he is not suited. It is the same with Mills. He is a natural midfielder, that is his position, and playing him out of position is of course going to make it look like he doesn't know how to play.

and yet Mills was rated a better midfielder than Oliver in his draft year.

It would be like if Longmire drafted Papley and refused to play him anywhere other than in the ruck. Papley is forced to play in the ruck and then everyone on this board would be screaming that Papley can't play, that he is a liability to the team. Of course he would be a liability because he is being played in a position he is not suited. It is the same with Mills. He is a natural midfielder, that is his position, and playing him out of position is of course going to make it look like he doesn't know how to play.
Who cares who rated him ffs , he didn’t play against the best so you don’t know what he was rated.

Again in the jlt he looked like a deer in headlights and he look far from NATURAL

barry fu

Premiership Player
Jun 8, 2009
The Chioggia clump
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sth Freo/Forest/Tricky Trees
But to answer your question, the Hawks haven't developed many players over the last 5 years so not very well. We've got a much better strike rate of developing players of late

I suppose what I'm really saying is that I dont believe Clarkson would have carried on with Mills in this current role of containment.
I feel that Clarkson The Coight, would by now know if Mills is a mid or a magoo miss.

The foot injury must also be given consideration when running the rule.

Back