Player Watch #14 Callum Mills - playing midfield in match sim, training the house down

connolly

Club Legend
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Persis Solo, Davao Aguilas FC
Really hope mills plays mids all year but i get the feeling at some point, longmire will move him back because we are missing his intercept play
We have a centre half back who is ranked in the top ten intercepting defenders in the competition. Why is Mills needed as an intercepting defender? He is a midfielder. Its time he was played in his position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BloodySwan

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Sydney
Alrighty round 1 regular season he walks down to the defensive 50 to start, what rubbish you want? Avatar bet?
Sounds like a bet, I've gotta find the avatar but should you win you pick my avatar, if I win I pick yours.

Also to make it easy we'll base it off starting positions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

caesar88

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Sydney
Stats are saying Mills is worsening not improving in his current role according to Champion Data.
huh?

By "current role" are you referring to his new introduction to the midfield, or his existing role as a half-back intercepter? If it's the former, how the hell would that Bernie Madoff-run Champion Data know how Mills is doing when he hasn't played a match yet? If it's the latter, what recent form would they have to go off given he hasn't even played since round 9 last year?

Kiama Chris

Team Captain
AFL Club
Sydney
I get it is important to not burn out young blokes in the mids. However if we recruit a bloke because he is a mid, then does it not make sense to give him an early run there? I am not saying full time.

Conversely, giving blokes roles to round out their weaknesses is an odd strategy. Isn't that what the NEAFL and training is for?

Arguably our more established players should show greater flexibility in undertaking a variety of roles. Yet it has been the younger or borderline players who have to perform multiple roles. Reg, Smithy, Rampe, Kennedy, Hanners, McVeigh, Jack have not been required to plug holes, play different roles. Using Hanners and George as examples, I would say it was folly to play the former as wing
/mid and the latter as tagger/mid based on their respective form.

If Hanners was to play, why not get him to perform a role that he may have been capable of - tagger. This would have released George to play a more attacking mid role.
He did play a couple of tagging games. Failed.

Kiama Chris

Team Captain
AFL Club
Sydney

mtooler

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Sydney
huh?

By "current role" are you referring to his new introduction to the midfield, or his existing role as a half-back intercepter? If it's the former, how the hell would that Bernie Madoff-run Champion Data know how Mills is doing when he hasn't played a match yet? If it's the latter, what recent form would they have to go off given he hasn't even played since round 9 last year?
Latter and compares it to data over his entire career in that position.

caesar88

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Sydney
Latter and compares it to data over his entire career in that position.
By "entire career" surely they're not referring to his two-and-a-third seasons? That's hardly a big enough sample size to start saying whether he's improved or not. This is why Champion Data are worthless, they just sprout numbers and figures without any context or justification.

mtooler

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Sydney
By "entire career" surely they're not referring to his two-and-a-third seasons? That's hardly a big enough sample size to start saying whether he's improved or not. This is why Champion Data are worthless, they just sprout numbers and figures without any context or justification.
I dont know, the numbers were higher than they are now, maybe its a coincidence.

caesar88

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Sydney
As we prepare to see what Mills can do in the midfield this JLT series, this was a pretty fair and reasonable insight into Mills. Tilted towards fantasy/DT talk but goes into his juniors and what he can bring to the midfield without being hyperbolic.

BloodySwan

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Sydney
That video is from a month ago but still relevant since the time has actually come where we get to see him as a mid. I never saw him as a junior so I can only go on the hype.
Championship data can only say what a player did do not what they will do. Always take championship data with a grain of salt

Jewelsbon

Club Legend
AFL Club
Sydney
As we prepare to see what Mills can do in the midfield this JLT series, this was a pretty fair and reasonable insight into Mills. Tilted towards fantasy/DT talk but goes into his juniors and what he can bring to the midfield without being hyperbolic.

They may as well have been talking Latin in that video!
I mean I understood what they were saying re Mills, our midfield etc, but boy all that Keeper League, D2, D1 stuff - absolutely no idea what they were on about.

Top Bottom