Player Watch #14 Callum Mills (c)

Callum_Mills_2017.4.jpg

Callum Mills

Callum Mills is one of the best young players in the AFL. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy graduate won the 2016 AFL Rising Star award and was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in three of his four eligible years. Mills is a small defender with uncompromising courage who’s also capable of shifting through the midfield. The New South Welshman was elevated to Sydney’s leadership group during the 2018 pre-season at the age of just 21, and he’s now a member of a five-man leadership panel alongside co-captains Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, as well as Lance Franklin.

Callum Mills
DOB: 02 April 1997
DEBUT: 2016
DRAFT: #3, 2015 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: North Shore (NSW)

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Not sure exactly what you're trying to say here Mick, but the evidence was that in the 9 games he played prior to injury he didn't spend any time in the midfield

It's hardly the stuff of conspiracy theories
It s the stuff of, had the backline not gone down so quickly, he would have played midfield. No theory whatsoever, just knowledge. Your theory is like saying ‘because we won the first 9 games of the year, we won’t lose another game’. Things change, they’re fluid, they shift...he was going to play midfield. But hey, you would no more with your connection (source) wouldn’t you?

Seriously first 5 games Melican and Aliir, you can’t even hit the right year!

Last edited:
If Horse had his wits Mills would have played in the mids from round 1.

Aside from the passive chippetty the 18 man backline held up. It was the bare bones midfield that was in dire need of at least trying Mills there before his injury.

None of us know whether he will end up helping rejuvenate our midfield. All of us are hoping that he and Heeney can play there and do well.

Caj

Premiership Player
Jul 23, 2004
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
It s the stuff of, had the backline not gone down so quickly, he would have played midfield. No theory whatsoever, just knowledge. Your theory is like saying ‘because we won the first 9 games of the year, we won’t lose another game’. Things change, they’re fluid, they shift...he was going to play midfield. But hey, you would no more with your connection (source) wouldn’t you?

Seriously first 5 games Melican and Aliir, you can’t even hit the right year!

LOL. You've already been corrected that Melican played the first 3 games and Alir played the 4th and that Mills didnt get any midfield time in those games. Are you still claiming Melican went down in round 1?

If your info is so strong why don't you tell us your source?

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
LOL. You've already been corrected that Melican played the first 3 games and Alir played the 4th and that Mills didnt get any midfield time in those games. Are you still claiming Melican went down in round 1?

If your info is so strong why don't you tell us your source?

Hey peanut, if you have a look back somewhere on this forum, you’ll see that I have!

When did I claim (except where Wolfie corrected my error) have I further claimed Melican went down in R1?

Give it a rest champ, you’re another one of those merchant bankers that likes to twist and twist until you think you’ve got your point across. You have nothing but innuendo, no fact, just speculation. You just can’t seem to accept that some on here have a bit of knowledge and you don’t!

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
If Horse had his wits Mills would have played in the mids from round 1.

Aside from the passive chippetty the 18 man backline held up. It was the bare bones midfield that was in dire need of at least trying Mills there before his injury.

None of us know whether he will end up helping rejuvenate our midfield. All of us are hoping that he and Heeney can play there and do well.

Again B52, football is fluid, things change. McCartin is proof of that and if you think he was earmarked to play any AFL football this year, you’re kidding yourself!

Caj

Premiership Player
Jul 23, 2004
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
Hey peanut, if you have a look back somewhere on this forum, you’ll see that I have!

When did I claim (except where Wolfie corrected my error) have I further claimed Melican went down in R1?

Give it a rest champ, you’re another one of those merchant bankers that likes to twist and twist until you think you’ve got your point across. You have nothing but innuendo, no fact, just speculation. You just can’t seem to accept that some on here have a bit of knowledge and you don’t!

Mick, in this thread you have:
  • got your facts wrong, and then incorrectly called others out for doing the same
  • claimed to have inside knowledge which you won't reveal and which doesn't fit with what we saw on the field (BTW I'm not questioning that you have a source, but I do question the accuracy of the information received)
  • contradicted yourself
  • and finally resorted to personal insults
I'm going to leave it at that now as we're going in circles and no longer wish to discuss this topic further with you

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
Mick, in this thread you have:
  • got your facts wrong, and then incorrectly called others out for doing the same
  • claimed to have inside knowledge which you won't reveal and which doesn't fit with what we saw on the field (BTW I'm not questioning that you have a source, but I do question the accuracy of the information received)
  • contradicted yourself
  • and finally resorted to personal insults
I'm going to leave it at that now as we're going in circles and no longer wish to discuss this topic further with you
Because you’re completely wrong and don’t like being proven so.

No need to respond because you’ll attempt to twist again but if I ‘apparently’ got something wrong (what, quoted r1 when not r3?) when clearly admitted was error is blaming someone how?

Claimed to have knowledge I won’t reveal - I’ve revealed everything
Contradicted myself - how?
Personal insults - if there was anything personal, the mods would’ve deleted it!

Go back to make believe land. You are an assumption maker. See ya!

Deccas

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Dane said that Mills will probably play back around half the time next season.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm OK with that, at least until we know how he goes in the midfield. If he thrives in there I imagine the load may be greater than 50-50

Jun 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Where did Rampe say this?

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2018-12-07/rampe-rapt-to-extend

There's a good chance Mills will join the midfield rotation as his career develops in 2019, but Rampe isn't sure the former AFL Rising Star will be lost to the backline for good.
"He's obviously a really valued member of the backline, his strengths are obviously his intercept marking in that third-tall role," he said.
"He's going to be pushing his case for a move to the midfield, but I dare say he'll split his time 50/50 between the two."

McRobie

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2018-12-07/rampe-rapt-to-extend

There's a good chance Mills will join the midfield rotation as his career develops in 2019, but Rampe isn't sure the former AFL Rising Star will be lost to the backline for good.
"He's obviously a really valued member of the backline, his strengths are obviously his intercept marking in that third-tall role," he said.
"He's going to be pushing his case for a move to the midfield, but I dare say he'll split his time 50/50 between the two."
Don’t like this. Needs to be a pure mid, we need something new in the engine room because what we have is very limited.

Arwib

Club Legend
Apr 9, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Canberra Raiders
I think most of our mids are playing secondary roles just to cut down the rotations. Just about everyone's either spending time forward or back as well as on the bench.

Jury's still out for me on this whole 'start a mid out in a different position' business. On the one hand I can see how Heeney's time forward and Mills' time in the back-line may help refine their game and make them more rounded players, but on the other, I look at players like Cripps and Oliver who are of a very similar age to Heeney & Mills (Cripps drafted the year before Heeney, Oliver drafted same year as Mills) and they are two of the best players in the comp at the minute, both coming off All Australian years. Obviously they had a different entry into footy, playing in non-finals sides and being thrown in straight away with greater expectations, but it seems to be paying off for them now.

Not saying there's anything wrong with the trialling of different positions, but is there any evidence that it will pay off more than if they were just backed in as mids from the get-go?

Dan87

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Not saying there's anything wrong with the trialling of different positions, but is there any evidence that it will pay off more than if they were just backed in as mids from the get-go?

Fundamentally, the more dual position players you have the more flexible your structure is on gameday allowing more tactics, providing more ways to win a game

probably good for reducing injuries and increasing longevity over a career to not have to play full time engine room

Back