Player Watch #14 Callum Mills (c)

Remove this Banner Ad

Callum_Mills_2017.4.jpg

Callum Mills

Callum Mills is one of the best young players in the AFL. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy graduate won the 2016 AFL Rising Star award and was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in three of his four eligible years. Mills is a small defender with uncompromising courage who’s also capable of shifting through the midfield. The New South Welshman was elevated to Sydney’s leadership group during the 2018 pre-season at the age of just 21, and he’s now a member of a five-man leadership panel alongside co-captains Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, as well as Lance Franklin.

Callum Mills
DOB: 02 April 1997
DEBUT: 2016
DRAFT: #3, 2015 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: North Shore (NSW)

Im really enjoying Mills footy this year
can still go back and save the day, but just looks assured and solid in the middle

doesnt get the praise he should in the media imo

but future skipper imo

If Kennedy steps down from captaincy at the end of the year, I can see Mills stepping straight in. Can also see Parker and Rampe doing it as a pair for a year or two, but I reckon Mills could do it right now if needed.

Now that Hickey has missed two and a bit games, I don't see any way Mills isn't leading the Skilton with a healthy lead. I was a Mills-to-midfield skeptic myself, but he's blown that out of the water. He's been excellent - his ball use by hand and movement through traffic are both top-shelf.

Proven some of those who doubted him in a preseason game against GWS a year or two ago.
He's just an absolute professional who will get everything him out of himself. As above, definitely havent seen his best

Proven some of those who doubted him in a preseason game against GWS a year or two ago.
He's just an absolute professional who will get everything him out of himself. As above, definitely havent seen his best

It has been my personal Vietnam in the last 3 or 4 years to argue tirelessly that Mills should be moved to the midfield so it is nice that unlike in the real Vietnam I have emerged vindicated and victorious and the Vietcong (Punts) has been defeated :cool:

Mills moving to the midfield has been touted for such a long time. Gotta say from what I saw in the previous seasons I didn't think he'd be any good but he's proven to be a class A mid. He should only get better from here as he and the team get more accustomed to him running through the middle

I honestly do not understand how anyone could have watched Mills play in the last 5 years and not think he would be a great midfielder.

Reads the game well, knows where to go to get the football, makes sound decisions when he has the ball and above all is tough as nails putting his head over the ball or standing in front of other players.

The only knocks I had on him is his lack of real pace and he can over kick the football sometimes.

Was always going to be a very good midfielder, but the problem was he was just too good at half-back.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It has been my personal Vietnam in the last 3 or 4 years to argue tirelessly that Mills should be moved to the midfield so it is nice that unlike in the real Vietnam I have emerged vindicated and victorious and the Western imperialists Vietcong (Punts) have been defeated :cool:

ftfy

Otherwise I agree. Mills is probably leading the BnF at the moment. He has moved seamlessly to and strengthened our weak midfield (with Hickey). The interminable delay in moving him there remains a constant source of puzzlement.

I think we can thank McVeigh and the good Donnie for persuading a stubborn Horse to give it a proper crack.

Just 11 games in Mills is showing enormous upside. He has always been a worthy of the 14 but now has the chance to add his own stamp.

ftfy

Otherwise I agree. Mills is probably leading the BnF at the moment. He has moved seamlessly to and strengthened our weak midfield (with Hickey). The interminable delay in moving him there remains a constant source of puzzlement.

I think we can thank McVeigh and the good Donnie for persuading a stubborn Horse to give it a proper crack.

Just 11 games in Mills is showing enormous upside. He has always been a worthy of the 14 but now has the chance to add his own stamp.
I read somewhere the decision was up to Mills. Horse asked Mills at the beginning of the season where he would like to play. Not sure if he offered that in previous seasons though

Taken for granted around these parts imo. Was absolutely sensational against the Dogs.
Superfast hands, some lovely spearing kicks moving forward (scary that I was tempted to say Gulden-like 🤪), clever kicks into forward fifty, popped up on the wing for a strong contested outlet mark… the more games he plays in the middle the more time he seems to have to make good decisions.
Parker putting together some consistently strong footy too…. chicken/egg? Either way there looks to be nice productive synergy developing. Also think JPK is contributing in a much more quality over quantity sort of way…. when called upon he is coming up with the goodes. Looks nice and relaxed too which will no doubt be crucial when the blowtorch is applied to our youngsters come September.

Back to the Weagles game and the flare up at halftime… Parker steps up to sort it all out as he does and Mills is like, “It’s okay… I’ve got this… now let’s go you clowns!” Loved it!

TBH we needed Mills in the backline more than the mids in the last few seasons, he's a class act. This is his first year playing full-time mids, imagine how good he'll be in a few years. IMO next step of his development in the offseason is improving his general field kicking.

TBH we needed Mills in the backline more than the mids in the last few seasons, he's a class act. This is his first year playing full-time mids, imagine how good he'll be in a few years. IMO next step of his development in the offseason is improving his general field kicking.
He reached his ceiling as a hbf imo and his ceiling is a lot higher in the mids. Watching him a bit in his junior years shows this so much. Imo if not for injury Heeney would be transitioning to the midfield also. Both are mids imo with Mills being the better of the two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He reached his ceiling as a hbf imo and his ceiling is a lot higher in the mids. Watching him a bit in his junior years shows this so much. Imo if not for injury Heeney would be transitioning to the midfield also. Both are mids imo with Mills being the better of the two.

Agreed. Mills is the workhorse mid and Heeney the flashy/excellent ball user mid. I've been saying it for a while but I think Heeney should at the very least be attending the Centre Bounces, especially with Warner/Rowbottom unavailable. He adds that pace/quick first step and is an excellent ball user.

Agreed. Mills is the workhorse mid and Heeney the flashy/excellent ball user mid. I've been saying it for a while but I think Heeney should at the very least be attending the Centre Bounces, especially with Warner/Rowbottom unavailable. He adds that pace/quick first step and is an excellent ball user.
Due to injury issues he’s just never had a chance to transition in there imo he’d allow speed & marking power from the transition from the back half to the front. Mills has been my favourite player since drafted & tbh before he was drafted, my family would attest to that lol, he’s a better mid long term but Heeney would be no slouch in there.

Bonz once said to me that Heeney would be a flashy 200-250 gamer but Mills is the 300+ game future captain

Never believed him more

Just had to look at Mills coming through junior level.

Honestly had him pegged as more of a Simon Black type as a junior (has turned out a bit different).

Not complaining though, thrilled with his performance this year and think it's only going to get better from here (for instance I think his disposal around the ground this year has improved round by round).

Callum Mills’ switch to the midfield this season has catapulted him into an elite section of the Swans record books … the ‘ball magnets’.
Callum has seven 30+ games this year, including a streak of 4.

Josh Kennedy holds the club record at 11 in a row in 2015, also had a run of five 30+ games in a row in 2016

Barry Mitchell had eight in a row across 1991-92, plus a run of five in 1991,

Dan Hannebery had consecutive streaks of six and seven 30+ games in 2016 which gave him a combined streak of 13 in 14 games.

Bob Skilton, who played nine years and 139 games without official possession counts, had five 30+ games in a row in 1965

Daryn Cresswell did likewise in 1997, and Jake Lloyd in 2019.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back