Player Watch #14 Callum Mills (c)

Remove this Banner Ad

Callum_Mills_2017.4.jpg

Callum Mills

Callum Mills is one of the best young players in the AFL. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy graduate won the 2016 AFL Rising Star award and was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in three of his four eligible years. Mills is a small defender with uncompromising courage who’s also capable of shifting through the midfield. The New South Welshman was elevated to Sydney’s leadership group during the 2018 pre-season at the age of just 21, and he’s now a member of a five-man leadership panel alongside co-captains Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, as well as Lance Franklin.

Callum Mills
DOB: 02 April 1997
DEBUT: 2016
DRAFT: #3, 2015 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: North Shore (NSW)

That’s exactly what you said. You said the coaches would’ve seen him in training sim and seen he wasn’t up to it from early on. But now it’s just that there wasn’t a spot in the midfield for him? Which one is it?

“...from early on”. You have added that bit in. I have not said that, I even re-read my posts to double check.

1. First year there was no midfield role for him, so they played him elsewhere as he was good enough for an AFL level role immediately (wins rising star)

2. Post that point they’ve had plenty of time to look at him and they keep playing him in defence. This indicates to me that he hasn’t performed at a high level vs his midfield team mates in midfield training sims. Certainly he may be an adequate AFL midfielder, but wouldn’t offer any more than those already there and those already there can’t offer the same level as what Mills offers in defence (or elsewhere), hence he stays as a defender.

3. I don’t think he looks like a high level AFL midfielder, which aligns with what appears to be the coaches thoughts in point 2

I will end it there, I think I’ve been pretty clear.

“...from early on”. You have added that bit in. I have not said that, I even re-read my posts to double check.

1. First year there was no midfield role for him, so they played him elsewhere as he was good enough for an AFL level role immediately (wins rising star)

2. Post that point they’ve had plenty of time to look at him and they keep playing him in defence. This indicates to me that he hasn’t performed at a high level vs his midfield team mates in midfield training sims. Certainly he may be an adequate AFL midfielder, but wouldn’t offer any more than those already there and those already there can’t offer the same level as what Mills offers in defence (or elsewhere), hence he stays as a defender.

3. I don’t think he looks like a high level AFL midfielder, which aligns with what appears to be the coaches thoughts in point 2

As have I, though we’ll never see eye to eye on it, and I’m not sure why we bothered when I’m pretty sure we’ve had this exact back and forth before!

What did he show against the best juniors as as mid?

Nothing because he didn’t play against the best so who knows
I’d be happy if he’s the next Teddy Richards instead of the next JPK.

Hell, he could be the next LRT for all I care, as long as he’s part of the next premiership.

Wish we still had LRT. Every team needs a slightly clumsy yet loveable trier.

Just pretend he was pick 10 or a later pick, which is where he would have been if not in the Academy & you'll more content that we have him.

Why? How about I don’t pretend anything and just rate based on what he was

Ridiculous comment. So every player on the Swans list must be given a senior game before having a line put through them regardless of what they have displayed at a lower level ? Please.

I think you misunderstood my post Wolfgang. I thought TM was referring to the four months between Mills' being drafted and his debut in round one as being enough time for the coaches to see that he wasn't up to it as a midfielder, before he'd even played a NEAFL game let alone a senior game.

I think you misunderstood my post Wolfgang. I thought TM was referring to the four months between Mills' being drafted and his debut in round one as being enough time for the coaches to see that he wasn't up to it as a midfielder, before he'd even played a NEAFL game let alone a senior game.

I Misunderstood. All I'm saying These Coaches at this level can tell pretty early on young players at development level if they will cut it at senior level.

Mills to the midfield is long gone

He’s been coached to play the contrived rubbish chip and fart Longmire swans defensive s**t now

He would need retraining

I actually thought Mills was playing with a lot of dare in the second half of the year. Confidence was sky-high and he was attempting some risky plays through the corridor. Didn't always pull them off, but isn't that what we - and you especially - have been crying out for? Less of the Lloyd & McVeigh sideways kicks and more direct footy from d50?

I still dont get what the issue is with Mills being a great half back flanker.

Were Geelong people complaining for 10 years that Enright was being wasted in defence?!

Hodge sure was wasted as a defender. I mean he was pick 1! Pick 1s should be in the midfield.

Personally I think Mills is too one sided (it seems like he almost has trouble handballing left handed, let alone kicking) and more suited to defence to utilise his elite intercepting - and that is fine by me.
Cracking post mate 👍👏

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it's that impotant for you then why not do jyst that.
But with our discount all we gave up was about a pick 7.
No need for me to pretend because from our end he's a pick 7.

Based on output is he even worth that? Would he be in the top 20 of his draft done again now?

The most valuable players from the draft are the quality key forwards, there are several

Eric Hipwood
Harry McKay
Harrison Himmelberg
Charlie Curnow

Then the elite midfielders

Josh Dunkley
Clayton Oliver
Jacob Hopper

Then the quality key defender

Jacob Weitering

After that you have the best players in the other positions

Jade Gresham
Wayne Milera
Tom Papley
Brayden Fiorini
Callum Mills
Blake Hardwick
Jordan Dawson
Sam Menegola
Darcy Parish
Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti
Daniel Rioli
Tom Phillips
Darcy Tucker
Ryan Burton

Yeah agree, thats why I reckon hes at best about 8th, if that.

Based on output is he even worth that? Would he be in the top 20 of his draft done again now?
Well what does it matter. He is from our program & if we didn't match & he was running around for Melbourne you'd be the number one ticket holder in the "Why didn't we match for Mills" queue.

Well what does it matter. He is from our program & if we didn't match & he was running around for Melbourne you'd be the number one ticket holder in the "Why didn't we match for Mills" queue.

That’s why I want us to try him as a mid- what’s the harm in trying? We aren’t winning a flag next year

Before the last few rounds I would have agreed with you 100%. Seemed like he found the next gear and started to impose himself a lot more. Started playing more like a KPD and less like a floating flanker. I don't believe KPD is his best spot but if the fuse has been lit maybe that midfield role is not so fanciful.

Bit of a bump, but the right thread for the discussion.

One of the few positives from last night was the Mills move to the midfield and the impact he had there.

Do we think now is the time to potentially try him in the midfield? Don't get me wrong, he is certainly above average in defence and he would have to learn our midfield structures but with the season being what it is, I can't think of a better time to experiment.

Bit of a bump, but the right thread for the discussion.

One of the few positives from last night was the Mills move to the midfield and the impact he had there.

Do we think now is the time to potentially try him in the midfield? Don't get me wrong, he is certainly above average in defence and he would have to learn our midfield structures but with the season being what it is, I can't think of a better time to experiment.
Yes, have thought he should be a pure midfield for 3 years. Mills is just an average defender, nothing spectacular anymore, he has flatlined.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back