Player Watch #14 Callum Mills (c)

Remove this Banner Ad

Callum_Mills_2017.4.jpg

Callum Mills

Callum Mills is one of the best young players in the AFL. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy graduate won the 2016 AFL Rising Star award and was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in three of his four eligible years. Mills is a small defender with uncompromising courage who’s also capable of shifting through the midfield. The New South Welshman was elevated to Sydney’s leadership group during the 2018 pre-season at the age of just 21, and he’s now a member of a five-man leadership panel alongside co-captains Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, as well as Lance Franklin.

Callum Mills
DOB: 02 April 1997
DEBUT: 2016
DRAFT: #3, 2015 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: North Shore (NSW)

I am pretty sure this was based off one incident and I am sure it was a still photo without any context of the surroundings of what led to it.

Happy to be corrected.

It was from the Don Pyke interview. A short piece of footage about 45 seconds in. I’m not suggesting anything more than “I liked that”.

All the coaches explicitly saying "he will play in the midfield. We wanted to do it earlier but these are the reasons that prevented that" is why I think he will
Im surprised so many believe we'll see Mills playing midfield. Not sure where the confidence in our coaches seeing the light is coming from.

On Nokia 7.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

LOL, one interaction between Hickey and Amartey and all of a sudden Hickey is a waste of time.

Talk about reading too much into one interaction, if I wanted to I could do the same for Dusty, take one interaction that makes him look bad.

Incredible how much negativity can foster from so little.

Mills moving to the midfield has been touted for such a long time. Gotta say from what I saw in the previous seasons I didn't think he'd be any good but he's proven to be a class A mid. He should only get better from here as he and the team get more accustomed to him running through the middle

I watched a bit of his junior footy & thought he’d make the transition from defence to midfield pretty well. People forget how young he is. He really hasn’t hit his prime yet, wait till that happens. Imo he’ll be a top 3 Brownlow finish one day and it wouldn’t surprise me if he won it.

Seriously what sort of luxury is that? To have a guy like Mills to move from HB and suddenly we have another A grade mid in the perfect age bracket.

He was a gun in the backline but then we slot Hewett into that position and we’re not losing too much.

Mills has a bit of rolls royce about him. Seems so easy for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mills has been great in the mids but once each game this year he has kicked in the back line straight to an opposition player. It was Edwards on Saturday, and each time they have scored.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His kicking is and awareness is shocking at times

Still think he is an A grade defender amd has more impact there bits that’s my opinion
There seems to be no middle ground with his kicking, its either good or really bad and when its bad it almost certainly leads to a turnover & opposition goal.

Hey Swans fans,

We discussed Callum Mills on our blog this week outlining his impressive year in the midfield and why he is such a smart player without the football.

https://footytalkingpoints.com.au/2021/04/14/ftp-4/

Would love to hear your thoughts

Hey Swans fans,

We discussed Callum Mills on our blog this week outlining his impressive year in the midfield and why he is such a smart player without the football.

https://footytalkingpoints.com.au/2021/04/14/ftp-4/

Would love to hear your thoughts
A fair assessment but he is not a great kick and I think you not a good kick just a fair AFL kick. Whilst just rolling along or running his kicking is better.

His weakness is the 1 or no step kick. Has missed targets by 5m over 20m normally with a inside draw (left) of targets. OOB with same issue. Did both in Bombers game.

I am very happy with his mifield time but makes me nervous when he tries to hit a target.

Thanks for posting your comments it was worth reading.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

A fair assessment but he is not a great kick and I think you not a good kick just a fair AFL kick. Whilst just rolling along or running his kicking is better.

His weakness is the 1 or no step kick. Has missed targets by 5m over 20m normally with a inside draw (left) of targets. OOB with same issue. Did both in Bombers game.

I am very happy with his mifield time but makes me nervous when he tries to hit a target.

Thanks for posting your comments it was worth reading.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Fair assessment! From the games I've watched from him this year he has been tidy by foot but you're right - he is susceptible to missing his target at times. He's clearly got plenty of upside given his age and is quite a balanced player already so it's exciting to see how he'll turn out

Mills has become a real leader of this side. We can now plug him in defence or midfield and his impact on the game is profound irrespective of position. I really liked his game last night without it being in the best handful of Swans for me. Calm, clean, tough and reliable. I'd love to see him move back into the midfield when Rampe and Fox are back but he played a captain's kind of game last night imo. And he's the next cab off the rank for that role too imo.

Im really enjoying Mills footy this year
can still go back and save the day, but just looks assured and solid in the middle

doesnt get the praise he should in the media imo

but future skipper imo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back