Senior 14. Connor O'Sullivan (2023-)

Remove this Banner Ad

So a KD who has 'defensive accountability' listed as an area in need of improvement.

To be fair i dont think we thought caddy was a spud but osullivan simply fills a much greater list need for us.
I don't agree. I think our greatest need is for a forward. List management must have an awfully high opinion on Shannon Neale. I am at best hopeful.

A year at least in the VFL one would think ...same path as Sdek?
He's much more physically developed than SDK was. And in 2020-21 we had Henderson going through a renaissance period and Henry breaking out while Blicavs was dropping back if needed.

Now we've got SDK and Henry who has injury concerns. And we don't really have any developing key defenders elsewhere. I wouldn't be that surprised to see him given some games next year given how thin we are down there. He looks capable of being a rebounder too.

I don't agree. I think our greatest need is for a forward. List management must have an awfully high opinion on Shannon Neale. I am at best hopeful.
At least one, and likely all of these scenarios would have been influencing the pick.

1. We have huge confidence in Shannon Neale, which the club has already stated.

2. We don't rate Nate Caddy, and/or don't see him as a true key forward.

3. We rate COS higher than Nate Caddy

4. We have confidence in Ollie Henry being a superstar

5. We have confidence in Jezza's longevity, paired with Neale & Henry's development.

6. We see one of COS, SDK or Jack Henry as a forward.

7. We have a handshake agreement with JUH, Cadman, Logan McDonald, or whichever key forward we're targeting.

8. We're drafting another key forward today, or have our eyes on one next year.

Whether they're all true, or only a couple of them are, it doesn't matter.

The club know better than we do, and they're planning years in advance with names that we haven't even considered.

It's not all black and white. There are a million variables that go into these selections.

The player himself, his talent, his character, possible inclusions later in the draft and/or future drafts/trade periods....the list just keeps going.

Hold faith, they don't let us down often.

At least one, and likely all of these scenarios would have been influencing the pick.

1. We have huge confidence in Shannon Neale, which the club has already stated.

2. We don't rate Nate Caddy, and/or don't see him as a true key forward.

3. We rate COS higher than Nate Caddy

4. We have confidence in Ollie Henry being a superstar

5. We have confidence in Jezza's longevity, paired with Neale & Henry's development.

6. We see one of COS, SDK or Jack Henry as a forward.

7. We have a handshake agreement with JUH, Cadman, Logan McDonald, or whichever key forward we're targeting.

8. We're drafting another key forward today, or have our eyes on one next year.

Whether they're all true, or only a couple of them are, it doesn't matter.

The club know better than we do, and they're planning years in advance with names that we haven't even considered.

It's not all black and white. There are a million variables that go into these selections.

The player himself, his talent, his character, possible inclusions later in the draft and/or future drafts/trade periods....the list just keeps going.

Hold faith, they don't let us down often.

There's another possibility that we just picked the best available player at our pick, which is what good clubs do in the first round.

To be fair i dont think we thought caddy was a spud but osullivan simply fills a much greater list need for us.

Thats probably true. I also think Connor is probably closer to the niminal of a true KPD. Caddy is more an inbetween in modern footy. If we did get offered Fr1 form WC then we rated COS highly

It's entirely possible that at some point (or multiple) in the next 10 years that we have the AA FB, and the AA CHB in the same team.
As the famous mick malthouse said who went toe to toe with our champion 07-11 team once said and i am paraphrasing... “It is geelongs defence that destroys sides, it is incredibly elite and generates so much ball movement”.

I feel like Captain O’Sullivan (COS) and SDK down there for a decade is a huge step towards developing an elite back six capable of multiple premierships

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A video of Conner O'Sulliven on the Cats page.

One thing i found out for certain tonight from the GFC...

We rate COS highly, and dont rate Caddy very highly.. And we got a free pick out of the bombers while picking the same player with the next pick.
Caddy can do some really nice stuff but is undersized and has the propensity to throw in a few WTF moments... happy we passed.

essendon may have been worried we would sell the pick to another club who would take caddy so they took the risk out. But i agree we obviously werent going to take caddy so we essentially got a r2 for free.
I dont know about obvious, I imagine the converstaion went something like this:

Dodoro (on seeing Caddy get to our pick): Hey Andrew, we really want Caddy, give you a Future 2nd round and we swap spots
Mackie: Yeah Nah
Dodoro: What about pick 31 this year
Mackie: ahh, yeah ok
Dodoro: You were going to pick Caddy weren't you?
Mackie: [blank stare]
Dodoro: [blinks]

Caddy can do some really nice stuff but is undersized and has the propensity to throw in a few WTF moments... happy we passed.

Although I would have been happy to take him, there was always a nagging doubt about him that I couldn’t put my finger on which I don’t get with COS.

Any key takeaways from the podcast?
Not really. Just sounds like a no BS type who will work his ass off to get the most out of himself. Was on with Brett deledio who's his manager.

Only really concentrated on footy this year after playing a fair bit of basketball. Also ran a 6:11 2km at the combine which is properly quick. Deledio said his best 2k was 6:21 to put that in perspective.

We always like to draft good people, and this kid seems like a genuine gem.
Think it was Heath Shaw last year who said "I don't know what it is, but Geelong just do s**t better than everyone else"

It's amazing how things can work out when a club is filled with hardworking, driven and kind people working towards a common goal.

Thats probably true. I also think Connor is probably closer to the niminal of a true KPD. Caddy is more an inbetween in modern footy. If we did get offered Fr1 form WC then we rated COS highly
We definitely rated him highly, Selwood there with a Cats guernsey ready to go! No way they get him there and then trade out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back