AFL Player #14: Jordan Ridley - Re-injured quad - 4 to 6 weeks - 11/4

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heard a few rumblings rids can't fly at the moment so won't play games outside Qld, is this a thing or more group chat bs?
Dear god I hope that's not the case

From the rib injury a couple weeks ago?
That would only be so if he had a pneumothorax I'd imagine. Unlikely that was still persisting if he did have one.
Is that something you could play through?

It would be quite something to finish your first full season in the squad, let alone the team.

Essendon's best chance to make the All Australian side is a youngster enjoying a breakout season. Ridley has been a revelation this year across half-back, with his intercept marking, smarts in the air and damaging kicking giving the Bombers a weapon. The 21-year-old has been one of the finds of the season.

It would be quite something to finish your first full season in the squad, let alone the team.

If anyone makes the team for us, it’s him. Only other player who is even close is Saad.

I saw it last night, probably for the first time...

Up to now he's been playing super well, but almost like a private school boy. No flash, no bravado, just getting it done at an elite level.

But last night I saw a bit of spunk, a bit of aura like he's thought hang on, I'm better than these guys. A bit of a strut about him - this will be the added addition that propels him into the elite players I reckon

His intercept marking is very good. I look forward to him showing a bit more dare in trying to set-up the play.
His kicking is very solid, but he often goes for the 'safe' option. Which in all honesty, is fine a lot of the time.

But he has a deceptively decent turn of pace, too. Maybe not from intercept marks where he ends up on the deck - but if we switch play that ends up with him on the outer side, I look forward to him backing his pace to run 15-20m before kicking a 40m spear. He's certainly capable of that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As it stands Ridley and Taranto are the best players from the 2016 draft, excluding Stewart who was drafted at 26 and was more able to make an immediate impact.

Long term I think it will be Ridley or English who will be in the top few players in the league in their respective positions.

There are plenty of really good players, it's a very deep draft, but I don't think it gets any better than these 2 and it doesn't look like producing a champion key forward or top 10 mid.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back