AFL Player #14: Jordan Ridley - Low grade quad strain, 3 to 4 weeks (R1-R2) - 4/3

Remove this Banner Ad

14 - Ridley.jpg

Contract Status: Unrestricted Free Agent 2029
My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 3, Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 15, 2009
Donaldsons Dairy
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chelsea
People see what they want to see with certain players unfortunately, like myself with Snelling a lot of the time. How was he on Saturday in your opinion?
Snelling did what he does. Played his part defensively , was handy in close but he is not the bloke who will stand out or make or break the game.
Kicked a goal, pressure acts where in the top 5, top 4 in tackles.

fairbump_playon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Plenty of people lining up to give Frances a spray but after watching the game a few times now Ridley was all over the place with his defense.
I believe Ridley’s unreal intercept marking has hidden some serious challenges he has in tracking and staying sticky with his man.

It kind of makes sense.. last year he almost magnetically willed the footy into his hands. It was mesmerizing. Can he watch the footy that closely and maintain total awareness of his man?

He needs to have Ambrose share all his secrets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 20, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Plenty of people lining up to give Frances a spray but after watching the game a few times now Ridley was all over the place with his defense.

Honestly asked myself on Saturday a few times "where's Ridley?" but constantly saw Francis will himself into contests. Ridley is very skilled but still so young, can't expect 24/7 silk at this stage.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon

It's interesting you say this because I reckon it was Ridley that burnt Laverde a few times against Geelong and I reckon I saw the same thing with Francis against the Hawks but it's hard to tell.

It's no surprise things fall down given that our key defenders are 3 third talls, one of which was a forward until a few weeks ago. It doesn't even look that bad. Thing that is slightly concerning is that Stewart was supposed to be the lynchpin but he was taking up very attacking field position.

Not so long ago, I thought all of the assistants were unnecessary but watching a whole game, understanding who is doing or supposed to be doing what in any giving contest, closely watching individuals and also focusing on the broader structure for the side you follow is difficult enough (though probably a bit easier when you know to look for). Then doing the same for an opposition makes it virtually impossible for an individual to watch the whole game closely. Following the ball around is one thing but from a coaching perspective it tells you little of what you actually need to know.

WN123

Club Legend
Mar 5, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Ridley and Francis are both undersized to be a KPD and best suited to the third tall role. Unfortunately with Ambrose Hurley and now Stewart all out longish term and none of the draftees ready they are going to have to fill that role for some time. I think BZT needs to come back in. He head deficiencies but is better one on one than the other options.

Desync

Team Captain
Mar 5, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
After watching the game back i think Ridley and Francis were poorly. Captain and Hind were pretty good!

Ridley and Francis Desperately need us to have a big dude in the backline.

I believe Ridley’s unreal intercept marking has hidden some serious challenges he has in tracking and staying sticky with his man.

It kind of makes sense.. last year he almost magnetically willed the footy into his hands. It was mesmerizing. Can he watch the footy that closely and maintain total awareness of his man?

He needs to have Ambrose share all his secrets.

Agree 100% . He is a star when he is allowed to read the play and intercept mark but he barely get a D for actual defense.

On his way to AA!
I still think he should’ve got a gig last year.

The only thing I can see standing in his way is how successful we are as a team.

It ain’t much, but having another KPD in rolls Rids over to a smaller player who he generally eats for breakfast given he’s just as quick but half a foot taller.

He is an absolute screaming jet

Remove this Banner Ad

Back