AFL Player #14: Jordan Ridley - Re-injured quad - 4 to 6 weeks - 11/4

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How much have you seen of Ridley? I'm a big fan of Ridley but to say he will 'definitely' be a better player than someone who has shown to play some seriously quality football is a huge call considering he is yet to play a game.
I've seen enough of both to observe that Ridley is easily the more versatile of the two and I don't ever remember being as impressed by Gleeson's VFL form as I was with Ridley, even last year. At his current trajectory, he'll definitely be the better player which I'll double down on and say could happen before the end of this year. I very much see Ridley in the same mould as Witherden, Doedee and Burton; young defenders who can intercept, find the ball often at half back and apply pressure from the day they're named in the senior team. Gleeson took a lot longer to consistently produce that sort of output, even though he's quite a good player now.

Bookmark it. Make me look stupid.

Disagree that Gleeson's VFL form was better. He only really added the intercept marking as a strong feature of his game last year.

Ridley has been playing on opponents, usually talls, and doing about the same in terms of rebounding and intercepting and he's done it from year 1.

He's already as good over head as Gleeson is. With respect to Marty, Ridley is T2000 to Marty's glorious original cyborg. He's an upgrade in every way.

I don't think it means that Gleeson is not a best 22 player. We've got a glut of 191-195cm guys who are natural at half back and as third talls: Gleeson, Francis, Ridley and Zerk.

Hartley is showing signs of improvement in the reserves. Hurley has years left and Ambrose isn't necessarily going anywhere.

I'd say that his ground level play is still the most impressive feature of his game, Francis and Zerk are next level above head and significantly better than Ridley. Ridley also covers the ground really well.

It's great that Ridley is getting some AFL games however, I would be far from disappointed if at some point Francis took over and Ridley was returned to the VFL to work on a game as a midfielder. I reckon that he's going to fill out and become a real power house, he's already a lot stronger than he looks. He could be part of the solution to our midfield woes.

If there is a chance that Ridley is a midfielder in the making, and I think there is a good chance he is, at least as good as Langford, it doesn't make any sense to leave him to play a position we've got covered. While I think that Langford's 360 degree play is better than Ridley's is, Ridley is a more naturally aggressive player.
BrunoV its posts like these that give me hope for the future of our club, but then we play on the weekend and I hate you. I can’t wait any longer. Make them Stars NOW!!!!

I've seen enough of both to observe that Ridley is easily the more versatile of the two and I don't ever remember being as impressed by Gleeson's VFL form as I was with Ridley, even last year. At his current trajectory, he'll definitely be the better player which I'll double down on and say could happen before the end of this year. I very much see Ridley in the same mould as Witherden, Doedee and Burton; young defenders who can intercept, find the ball often at half back and apply pressure from the day they're named in the senior team. Gleeson took a lot longer to consistently produce that sort of output, even though he's quite a good player now.

Bookmark it. Make me look stupid.

Classic young/good dichotomy. Gleeson does all that and has done it for longer, but because he's 24 and not 20 he's dogshit.

Give me the unproven kid any day, he could be anything, he could even be Marty Gleeson!

Classic young/good dichotomy. Gleeson does all that and has done it for longer, but because he's 24 and not 20 he's dogshit.

Give me the unproven kid any day, he could be anything, he could even be Marty Gleeson!
Didn't say anything remotely close to that but whatever.

Gleeson has really only put together half a season of good AFL footy. Up until his return from the VFL last season I'd say most would agree he was disappointing given what he'd shown in his debut season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the better debuts in recent memory. I don't think he even wasted a sinlge position. Well done to the kid and on like this a

We list him at 192, not only is that not stretching the truth I suspect he's probably closer to 195, and he can move, and he kicks both sides.

Very accomplished already, and Michael Johnson was a good call whoever made it, just takes care of business and does so with a minimum of fuss.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back